Status
Not open for further replies.

ElizaFaith13

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
girlgamersunite.blogspot.com
Hmmmm I wonder if they did the research. If you think about it, Templars are really Masons, and the Illuminati are really high level masons......but I guess it is just a game. They've would've been better off using Eastern Star and made them all Amazon women.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I have avoided MMPGs because of time and money and racist/sexist swill-spewing assholes all over the place, but Secret World actually intrigues me. (Okay, it was "Illuminati" that hooked me.)

But I want to know if it's going to be any fun to play without doing PvP combat. I hate PvP. I just plain suck at it, and haven't really the inclination to put in the hours it would take getting good enough to beat some fourteen-year-old from Finland who spends all day p0wning people.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I have avoided MMPGs because of time and money and racist/sexist swill-spewing assholes all over the place, but Secret World actually intrigues me. (Okay, it was "Illuminati" that hooked me.)

But I want to know if it's going to be any fun to play without doing PvP combat. I hate PvP. I just plain suck at it, and haven't really the inclination to put in the hours it would take getting good enough to beat some fourteen-year-old from Finland who spends all day p0wning people.

So don't PvP.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't checked recently, there's been a steady release of more info on the Secret World, characters, locations, monsters, etc. Not surprisingly, Kingsmouth/Solomon Island seem to be a real hotbed of eldritch activity.
Still liking it.

Edit: It occurs to me that The Secret World in general and things like London/Ealdwic and Innsmouth Academy especially remind me of dark urban fantasy worlds. In particular, the Nightside series. But other ones too, such as the Dresden Files, Mortal Coils, or Mercedes Thomspon, etc.

Edit 2:
Developer Diary: Story and Missions
Everything is True

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't yet, you should check out the blogs (just discovered them myself).

Ragnar Tornquist on the story in The Secret World
I hope you'll join our thriving community as we put our feet to the spades, pierce the soft ground with the sharp metal, and start shoveling the dark earth over our shoulders as the distant stars above burn bright and cold in the misty October night. Deeper and deeper, down, down, down into the eldritch blackness where the whispers, those piercing, insistent whispers, are strong and clear and tempting...

"Join us... Join us..."
Lead writer Dag Scheve talks about characters
On your journey through the secret world you will meet characters from all continents and all walks of life. From a Scottish school teacher to an Ethiopian gangster. From a fifteen year old contract killer to a jaded hero of elder times. From a sexy Brazilian diplomat to a three thousand year old mummy in a suit. From a golden child to an ancient villain with a huge chip on his shoulder.

Where characters in other games are often just vehicles for the tasks the designers want their players to undertake, our characters are about giving you the information you need to decide for yourself. Rather than asking the player directly for help, they will talk about events in the world and offer opinions, present scenarios that players can choose to react to, do something to change, or walk away from.

In one of my favourite cinematics, we have a mother and a daughter arguing about the dirty dishes in the face of the apocalypse. In another we have a desperate villain threatening an already dead man with…death. We have characters who sing, characters who dance, characters who blow things up, and characters who deceive.

Creating a world between the cracks in reality
The Illuminati don’t tell new recruits how to find them, finding them *is* the job interview.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Q&A
Hints of some game mechanics that he's not allowed to talk about.

Savage Coast video preview
I like it, though it's nothing special. However, it was kind of sad to see the narrator talking about dark woods while the video shows woods that...aren't. They're kind of gloomy, but not dark.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch. Something is now competing for my attention with Old Republic.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Preview on RPS (The grammar needs help)

until a certain moment, I still felt a sense of disconnect as I watched it being played inside Funcom’s Norwegian headquarters.Because my real world isn’t stalked by zombies. Clearly if I’m ever suffering the misfortune of having to go inside ASDA it can feel damned close, but during my general day-to-day life I rarely encounter Draug emerging from the sea. And as much as I want to live in denial of this, I don’t work for a secret society attempting to protect the Earth from knowing of the presence of darknesses. I felt this way right up until we had a chat with a local priest.
He described himself as a “hobbyist” member of the Illuminati, and then added that he knows things that “aren’t on Google.”
And snap!
It’s the real world.
So much of The Secret World’s design seems to be about creating a narrative rationale for the accepted memes of MMOs, and then trying to make that something meaningful and worthwhile. Monsters are everywhere, but every monster is there for a reason, and that seems to go beyond an origin story. A huge part of The Secret World will be figuring out why.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
So, they say that, at GamesCom,:
Behind closed doors, press will be treated to a demonstration of The Secret World's secret society gameplay, including the first-ever reveal of the game's large-scale PvP where over a hundred players compete in massive, persistent battles.
It seems like there will also be smaller-scale PvP as well.

New dev diary.
I love the way Agartha (Hollow Earth) looks.

Droood

드루우드
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm a bit fearful of this game. At first Funcom wanted to release this game on the Xbox 360, and then the PS3 came into things. But now they have stated that they will just focus on the PC version for now. This brings back flashbacks of Age of Conan for me.

Funcom also planned to release AoC on the Xbox 360 in their original design, and built the game to suit. It was only shortly before the release date that they cancelled the console idea, and what we were left with was an awkward game that did not fit the PC standards we would expect from an MMO.

Although Funcom have hinted that they are learning from their past mistakes, by stating that a console version of The Secret World would be a far different game to the PC version, I can't help but be wary by the constant juggling act they do with their ideas.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
AoC works perfectly fine on a PC . . .

Besides, while they may have juggled, if they're set on PC, then there's not as much reason to worry since it won't be coming out until April 2012.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
New video for the Secret War.

The timer--and beta sign-ups--seem to be broken (or are they?)
That's the thing with the TSW setting, you never know when it's planned or not . . . I kind of like it.
If it is an ARG, there's a new thread for it here.

ETA: Payment model will be a traditional subscription model as well as a micro-transaction store for cosmetic stuff.

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
The Secret War (and therefore beta reg) are up.
The new test is cool, and it gives me a completely different result from the oold one. Before I would usually get Dragon/Templar. New one gave me Illuminati, never gotten that result before.

ETA: Now I'm flip-flopping between Illuminati and the Templar . . . I don't like the Dragon's belief in destiny/fate.

Last edited:

Starstryder

Glimpsing reality...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
noobiewriter.blogspot.com
This has definitely won me over more than the Old Republic by a long shot. :D So glad they are finally releasing more info. Trying to ignore some though otherwise I might lose interest.

samsevern

Chasm Dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Been waiting for this one forever... progress looks pretty good so far, though I wish we'd really see as many revolutionary elements as were promised.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I'm definitely preferring TSW over SWToR, it just has more original concepts.
Ditto. Lots of Sci-fantasy/SF/high fantasy MMO's, but no urban myth/fantasy. Saw the trailer of Blue Mountain -- creepy! Like something out of a Lovecraft story, which I think they did take some inspiration from.

Crossing my fingers that this isn't a flop.

Status
Not open for further replies.