Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessKLS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.yahoo.com
I'm new to this forum but not exactly new to writing. I'm not a professional writer as of yet or even semi professional but I've considered it off and on for a while since I was often told as a child, teen, and adult that I'm a good writer (not always but often), so I thought of maybe writing a book or two of poetry and maybe fantasy fiction novel (no particular time limits-though it would be nice to publish one in the next few years to help pay for school) LOL. But anyway I was thinking in terms of a romance or erotica novel (maybe erotica, I don't want to do a romance novel) but I'm not sure how far I'd want to take the sexual content in the novel; so in your opinion is there much difference between writing a romance and an erotica? Some some there's more sex in erotica, but I've read some romance novels in the past and some of them had a good amount of sex scenes in them.

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
I'm new to this forum but not exactly new to writing. I'm not a professional writer as of yet or even semi professional but I've considered it off and on for a while since I was often told as a child, teen, and adult that I'm a good writer (not always but often), so I thought of maybe writing a book or two of poetry and maybe fantasy fiction novel (no particular time limits-though it would be nice to publish one in the next few years to help pay for school) LOL. But anyway I was thinking in terms of a romance or erotica novel (maybe erotica, I don't want to do a romance novel) but I'm not sure how far I'd want to take the sexual content in the novel; so in your opinion is there much difference between writing a romance and an erotica? Some some there's more sex in erotica, but I've read some romance novels in the past and some of them had a good amount of sex scenes in them.

The lines really are blurred these days. My wife reads a lot of those red-covered bodice-rippers, and occasionally she'll say "You gotta read this chapter." So I do, and I'm thinking to myself, yep, that's definitely erotica. The "Blaze" line is a good example. I guess the best way to distinguish the two would be: does the average reader, hemm, "react viscerally" to the book? If yes, then it's erotica. :tongue

PrincessKLS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.yahoo.com
Interesting, not that I'm trying to intentionally write an erotica novel to perk some ears and eyes but I was wanting a fantasy novel to be something that came from my head and who doesn't think about sex from time to time :D And I figure some of my fantasies would make a good storyline, LOL.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Romance is different from erotica in its primary intention or emphasis. Romance seeks to involve the reader in the emotional relationship between partners. Their physical relationship will come in to it to whatever degree the writer (or the publishing line) allows, but the physical relationship can't take precedence over the emotional one. In the end, romance must be more about love than sex.

Erotica's first "duty" is to arouse, to titillate, to speak to sexual desire. It may deal with love, but it does not have to. It must even beware of letting a love story (or mystery or fantasy, etc.) get in the way of the sex.

So, a romance or a thriller or fantasy with lots of sex in it maybe be called "erotic," but it's not erotica as long as the love or suspense or fantastic element dominates the sexual element.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

nybx4life

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Princess!
Welcome to AW!

And, since I've read that you're going to try to do some fantasy fiction, I'd thought you'd probably like to see a bit of my WIP.

Uhh, but you're going to need to look through the Share Your Work/ Sci-Fi/Fantasy forums to find it.

Maybe.....never mind.

ANyways, hope you enjoy it here.

PrincessKLS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.yahoo.com
I also have some school debt, I've recently gone to a local community college and got a certificate in Clerical Studies but I have a debt (small one) from 2002-2003 from my year at a university. I want to go back to get a real degree since I only got factory work with my certificate and not an office job, lol. However I don't plan to major in English or Writing, more along the lines of business or social sciences.

So where is your publishing company located?

P.S. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

Last edited:

diana1228

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings PrincessKLS,
I read your post and have to say that to me romance may include erotica, but is not the main focus.

Erotica's focus is to get the blood going. Harden the nipples and well, whatever else happens to arise. I suppose you can include a bit of romance with erotica, but sex would be the main focus. Just my .02

PrincessKLS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.yahoo.com
Greetings PrincessKLS,
I read your post and have to say that to me romance may include erotica, but is not the main focus.

Erotica's focus is to get the blood going. Harden the nipples and well, whatever else happens to arise. I suppose you can include a bit of romance with erotica, but sex would be the main focus. Just my .02

Oh okay I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.