The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Nakhlasmoke--CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Suki, yay!! Can't wait until everything is finalized so you can share!

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
...As for news, I'm nearing the end? maybe? :) of the sub process on my contemporary realistic YA.

~suki

Eeeh sub, I hate being on sub it makes me so wangsty - here's holding thumbs!!!

My book is out and things are going pretty well (except for the frikkin' K1nd1e fustercluck). I'm a beach read! Whoo-HOO!

tell me of this clusterfuck? WOOOHOOO!!! BEACH READ!!!

My news: My book comes out in February, and it's the first in a 3-book contract. :D

SUHWEET! you better spam the threads when it comes out so I can order it. :D

My news: Gate Walker just came out

Planet Janitor coming out Dec 1rst, Engage Books

The Lupus Strain coming out after January, LBF Books

New Agent, and on Submission

Tri

Bloody hell, have you been a busy dinosaur or what? o.0 Good luck with the new agent and sub!

... Did exclusive revisions for an editor. It's going to the board this week. Still waiting. It's like death.

omg that is death and pain. I better not have to get out my broken bottle and cut sum bitches yo

Nahklasmoke, everyone seems to know you but I don't...so hi! And congratulations. Your book sounds awesome, and what a great title. Bet the art department is going to have a blast with your cover!

Hi Welcome to meeting me. :D I love my title, so i'm pretty chuffed that it looks like they're keeping it. :D Thanks!

Nakhla, nice to see you back again, and . . . CONGRATS! That's super awesome news. So happy for you! :snoopy:

Thankees!

Nakhlasmoke--CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shot!

bluerose

Registered
Reaction score
Nakhlasmoke - congrats!! (And add my voice to those loving the title!)

Blond - fingers crossed for you!

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Got my first pass today.

My agent told me to brush it off since my ms isn't really their thing--they're mainly a children's publisher. It doesn't really sting--but I'm terrified my ms won't sell. I know, I know, it's a reality we all face, but, well, just scared.

Onward, right! :)

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got my first pass today.

My agent told me to brush it off since my ms isn't really their thing--they're mainly a children's publisher. It doesn't really sting--but I'm terrified my ms won't sell. I know, I know, it's a reality we all face, but, well, just scared.

Onward, right! :)

Yup. Passes are inevitable - pretty much every book that sells has some passes. So...brush it off and at least take from it that people are reading.

But hugs nonetheless, since I know it stings.

~suki

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Yep, passes are a part of the game. Hang in there, Cricket. This isn't a sprint; it's a marathon, and that applies to every single step of the process.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket))) There is a better fit for you.

tirial

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else submitting to agents and publishers at the same time? I've got queries out with agents, but an established publisher has requested a full (fingernails thoroughly chewed).

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Tirial!

On this particular thread, we have agents, who are submitting to publishers on our behalf.

All the best with your submission process!

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
My rewrites...OMG they are going SO GOOD!!!

I had a seriously brilliant breakthrough last night and am over the moon excited about it. It was everything, right down to the ending.

Cricket, think of it as getting the R out of the way. Now you are ready for good things! :)

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else submitting to agents and publishers at the same time? I've got queries out with agents, but an established publisher has requested a full (fingernails thoroughly chewed).

Hi Trial - yeah, here it's mostly folks with agents submitting to publishers on their behalf. But I thought I'd answer your question, anyway.

It's generally a really bad idea to query publishers and agents at the same time, for a variety of reasons, and most significantly because if you do land an agent's attention they might not be able to effectively shop your book if you have already queried publishers.

BUT, if you get an editor request becuase of like a conference or something, then I think it is ok to go ahead and submit to that editor - and if the editor makes an offer, you can tell them you'd like to find an agent to represent you in the deal and then query agents with the offer in hand. I had two editor requests for the manuscript while I was querying agents because of a conference and a contact from an editor. I sent the mansucript to both, and, interestingly enough, neither acted on it by the time I signed with an agent (it essentially just sat there in their offices, and I think that's common - non-agented manuscripts often sit behnd agented ones). A third editor asked for the manuscript at a conference at about the time I was getting interest from my eventual agent - I didn't send her the manuscript, and instead waited for the agent's offer of representation because it was imminent.

good luck.

YA - yay for awesome rewrites.

~suki

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Tiral, I echo what Suki said -- a specific editor requesting is not the same thing as you querying editors. I wouldn't recommend the latter. In the case of the former, I know more than one writer who had this happen to her/him, and after getting an offer from the editor, quickly found agents to negotiation the deal.

Kendare Blake

Committed lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kendareblake.com
YA- awesome on the rewrites! Isn't it effen magical when things just come together? Sidenote, because of your avatar I pictured a disgruntled cookie monster hacking away at a keyboard. Provided a nice mental image of your breakthrough :)

Cricket, hang tight. Having at least one rejection builds character (Bleh, like any of us buy that...but it's what they say) Better news from the right editor is just around the bend.

Welcome Tirial! Good luck on your submission. There are no hard and fast rules in this game, but Suki's thoughts are good ones.

tirial

Registered
Reaction score
Tiral, I echo what Suki said -- a specific editor requesting is not the same thing as you querying editors.
I'm in the former situation, rather unexpectedly, and trying not to do anything that might ruin it. I'm also querying agents in case this doesn't work out (and so I can get some representation quickly if it does).

bluerose

Registered
Reaction score
((Cricket)) - I totally felt the same way after my first pass, terrified my book would never sell, sure that all the other editors would be rejecting me too any minute now. My "buy myself a new book for every rejection" plan did help my mood some, especially since a book by one of my favorite authors had just hit the shelves, but I still felt really down about my book's overall chances. But like everyone says, no book escapes the sub process unscathed, not even the ones that sell at auction in a flash! (I saw a post by agent Kr1st1n Nels0n once that said even her biggest, quickest selling books got at least 1 rejection and usually more than that.)

tirial - welcome, and good luck! Like Lisa says, if you do get an offer from that editor, that ought to make the agent hunt a much quicker and more pleasant experience. :)

YA - yay! I love how those brilliant breakthrough moments make it all worth it.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Suki, Other Lisa, HappyCamper, kellilon, Kendare, YAwriter, bluerose....

THANK YOU!!!!!

Seriously, to come home from work and see all of this support from you guys, well, I can't tell you how much it means to me. *sniffle*

:)

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Wooh YAwriter - I LOOOVE that feeling, enjoy it, milk it. :D

Cricket, at least the first pass is over with. :D Seriously though, the criticisms in my first pass led to me writing a better book (I think), so maybe there's somethign you can take from it?

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
bluerose, I love the idea of buying a book every time an editor passes!

Scribe66

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all!:hi:

I haven't been around too much lately, I know. Submission angst has been wearing at me a bit, so I've been keeping my head down and trying to concentrate on my WIPs. Recently, though, something happened that I'd appreciate your input on.

Have any of you ever gotten a revision suggestion from an editor considering your work that you knew would make it weaker rather than stronger? I'm not just talking about the knee-jerk recoil when someone wants to give "your baby" a makeover, or the sinking heart you feel at the prospect of still more revisions, but the genuine conviction that what the editor proposes will lessen the impact of the story you're telling? If so, how do you cope, and are you a naive fool if you stick to your guns about maintaining your original vision?:e2writer:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Suki, Other Lisa, HappyCamper, kellilon, Kendare, YAwriter, bluerose....

THANK YOU!!!!!

Seriously, to come home from work and see all of this support from you guys, well, I can't tell you how much it means to me. *sniffle*

:)

Cricket - we all have those moments, and it's why AW is so great for helping us cope. Heck, last week Agent had to call me and talk me out of a major freak out. Passes are hard, at any step of this process.

Hi, all!:hi:

I haven't been around too much lately, I know. Submission angst has been wearing at me a bit, so I've been keeping my head down and trying to concentrate on my WIPs. Recently, though, something happened that I'd appreciate your input on.

Have any of you ever gotten a revision suggestion from an editor considering your work that you knew would make it weaker rather than stronger? I'm not just talking about the knee-jerk recoil when someone wants to give "your baby" a makeover, or the sinking heart you feel at the prospect of still more revisions, but the genuine conviction that what the editor proposes will lessen the impact of the story you're telling? If so, how do you cope, and are you a naive fool if you stick to your guns about maintaining your original vision?:e2writer:

Scribe - I've never received an editor's note I felt that way about, but I certainly received those kinds of notes from others. I say discuss your concerns with your agent, and then, if you are uncertain, I'd try the revisions - just so you can be sure they're not right - and if after that you find you were right, the changes don't make the story more effective, then don't follow the advice.

You're likely walking away from that editor, but if they can't help you make the book stronger, the editor is not the right editor.

Ultimately, it's your book. And I know authors who regret making changes that ultimately weakened their book - and they can't go back and fix it once it's published.

You have to believe in the changes you are making.

~suki

Status
Not open for further replies.