• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Liza Royce Agency (Liza Fleissig)

AmberS

Baby author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoramberlin.com
I would say it's not really the same as asking for a full in the query, because in that case they will still hit the reject button at some point during the query, whereas in this case they are supposedly reading the queries and liking them enough to request.

I would speculate there's an assistant involved who's making these requests (as Lisa) or if it is Lisa, she's not really reading the queries first. Which is no big deal since she'll read it eventually except that you have to give an exclusive.

On the flipside, that zombie book query had a great voice! I'd probably request just to read it :)

joshuadavidbellin

Registered
Reaction score
Liza Fleissig of Liza Royce Agency

Hi all,
Liza's my agent (SURVIVAL COLONY NINE, my debut, was just bought by McElderry), and she's been nothing but professional, supportive, and--most importantly--effective during the time we've been together. She worked with me editorially, kept me updated throughout the submission process, and negotiated an excellent deal with a quality publisher. Yes, she requests a lot of fulls, but no, she doesn't take on clients she can't sell. So I have no hesitation in recommending her for submission.
Best,
Josh Bellin

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Just to add-I submitted a query, got that same form request for a full, and had to tell her that the MS was already out with a bunch of other agents. I got told that it was out too wide for her to consider but if the other agencies passed to contact her again.

I'm not sure what that means, if anything, other than that she really values exclusivity.

I would also very much like to know what this means, in the business as such. What does 'out too wide' mean? In the sense - how can that be bad? Too many people have seen it? But it's not like it's patented secret formula - only one agency will represent it and only one publisher will publish it.

And a second question, in case someone knows the answer: how is submitting to publishers at the same time bad? Even supposing this gets in the way of making the best possible deal once an agent does get involved - isn't an agent someone with whom you will work together for many more books and years? Isn't an agent someone who sees your potential as a writer, not as a single book?

There's got to be a simple explanation to all this, which I don't have, not being a pro in this level of the field.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
And a second question, in case someone knows the answer: how is submitting to publishers at the same time bad? Even supposing this gets in the way of making the best possible deal once an agent does get involved - isn't an agent someone with whom you will work together for many more books and years? Isn't an agent someone who sees your potential as a writer, not as a single book?

There's got to be a simple explanation to all this, which I don't have, not being a pro in this level of the field.

For the second part of the question - my understanding is, if the editors have read and rejected the story already, the agent won't be able to submit to that editor/publishing house, whereas maybe they could have pitched the book in a revised form with their editorial help.

Some agents take on clients. Some agents take on books and will require you to almost "re-query" with your next book.

Someone else may have a different take on this, but that's what I've learned throughout the years.

HLWampler

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just got a request for a full. Fingers crossed!

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
On QueryTracker, it shows that some have been turned down- and additional ones listed in the comment section. It's true that she does request a lot, but the fulls that are requested must stand out in some way. Good luck to all!

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
For those who have hit the end of the exclusivity period, has anyone heard back from this agency on their full - R or offer?

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
For those who have hit the end of the exclusivity period, has anyone heard back from this agency on their full - R or offer?

Liza's request for exclusivity on my manuscript covers six weeks, starting March 19th. I haven't heard back, though the time has not yet elapsed.

DeaK

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in here to say that Ms Royce also requested an exclusive full from me last summer.

Exactly 4 weeks later I got an email from her that she'd like to have a phone call, which I, of course, was absolutely ecstatic about. Ultimately there was a lot she liked about the novel, but she also saw some major issues, and wasn't prepared to rep it. She simply wanted to give me feedback – which was so, so amazing. She also encouraged me to send her more work in the future.

I'm very happy about my experience with this agent. I can only think highly of her.

Best of luck to anyone who has work with her.

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had their requested full out longer than 4 weeks? It seems there have been several no's right at 4 weeks. Mine's been out longer, so I was curious.

K.L Hallam

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karenleehallamwrites.blogspot.com
So, I got my Full request today. Same note. Only now we're at 7-8 weeks exclusive. Fine by me. I've got other projects on the table. I will update with my stats when avail. Good Luck to you with Fulls out!

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
I had an interesting email exchange with Liza. She asked for the full of my Paranormal novel, but it was already out with agents and she wanted an exclusive. When it became available, she said she had too many paranormal books in her list and asked if I had anything else. I told her about my sci-fi novel I wrote in 2011 and after giving her a bit of the old query, she did seem pretty interested, so I sent that to her instead.

The email exchange was very polite and professional, so I'd definitely reccommend her to anyone looking for an agent.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had their requested full out longer than 4 weeks? It seems there have been several no's right at 4 weeks. Mine's been out longer, so I was curious.

I am finishing week 5 on my manuscript. Any news on your end, WriteStarfish?

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, sorry to hear. I'll update with my stats when I hear back.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Queried Liza yesterday, received a request for full today. I know that doesn't make me a special flower, but I'm still enormously pleased to have a legit agent looking at a full. I haven't had a full request in months.

*****More info
I balked at the 7-8 week exclusive request. I know that the agent search can take years, but it made me nervous. Liza was firm about it, but sent me several emails to discuss it. Very candid and polite, and willing to explain things to a noob like me. If she is willing to respond so quickly, and take so much time to talk to a barely published author who isn't in the process yet, I can only imagine that she is equally awesome with her clients. I granted the 8 week exclusive, and Liza helped me not be nervous about it.

***Even more info.
When it rains it pours. No ms requests for months, and today I had two. The above and a request from Frances Black of Literary Counsel. Now I have to tell them that it's out on an exclusive, which is exciting and scary all at the same time.

Last edited:

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Some agents take on clients. Some agents take on books and will require you to almost "re-query" with your next book.

Someone else may have a different take on this, but that's what I've learned throughout the years.

Thanks, JJ! Hadn't though of the 'representing the book' bit, but it makes sense. I suppose most new authors are first seen as a book only, and only gradually turn into real people with whom one can have a durable working relationship.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, JJ! Hadn't though of the 'representing the book' bit, but it makes sense. I suppose most new authors are first seen as a book only, and only gradually turn into real people with whom one can have a durable working relationship.

I think it's agent-by-agent. I had a friend who had an agent at a reputable place and when the agent couldn't sell the book, they parted ways. I know other people who have signed with agents after they found their own publishers and used it to snag an agent for future books.

When you get that call from your future agent, you can always ask if they sign the author or just the book. :)

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, I've thrown my hands up in disgust for now and am proceeding with the 'publish quality stuff with quality magazines and publishers in order to snag agent later' model. Hey, that's what we do? We try stuff, and then other stuff, and then yet other stuff.