Osprey Publishing

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here with extensive Osprey Publishing collections? :)

For those who don't know, Osprey publishes books written by military historians, complete with plates (illustrations), maps, diagrams and other tidbits focusing on military eras, military units, famous battles, famous campaigns...

I own a couple of these books, ranging from Ninja to King Tiger I and the Battle of Hattin 1187.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/

Anyone?

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
I used an Osprey book once when I was researching First Bull Run. Very good maps and terrain depictions.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
What do you need?

Oh, I need many... :D

That's why I'm saving up a bit to buy a whole bunch of them. This is on my wishlist:

Varangian Guard
Katana - The Samurai Sword
Byzantine Cavalryman 900-1204
Saracen Strongholds
Saladin
British Redcoats in the Napoleonic Wars
Wellington's Foot Guards
Austrian Army of the Napoleonic Wars

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score

That's why I'm saving up a bit to buy a whole bunch of them. This is on my wishlist:

Varangian Guard
Saracen Strongholds
Saladin
Wellington's Foot Guards

I have quite a few. My current favorite is Pusher Aces as in

5110466746_b54536268f.jpg

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com

Varangian Guard
Saracen Strongholds
Saladin
Wellington's Foot Guards

The Varangian Guard one has anecdotes that would go well on the cover of a Viking Metal album.

I think, however, they you have to focus on current projects and beware of the scatter gun approach.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
The Varangian Guard one has anecdotes that would go well on the cover of a Viking Metal album.

I think, however, they you have to focus on current projects and beware of the scatter gun approach.

right. When in doubt, stick with the Varangians.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Not for sale...

Eddyz, but they are well worth having.

I enjoy the details of costume for my 17thC Civil War soldiers, and find th eJapanese ones fit in with what I've seen and learned in Japan.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score

I read a consistent 300 page book on the Varangians, there's some really surprising information about them. Interesting how simple Norsemen evolved from efficient merchants to ultra efficient killing machines.

But, indeed, as Pdr said, Osprey books are well worth having. :)

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Er...

Eddyz? It's actually p.d.r. all lowercase. They are my initials not some weird acronym.

I always write my sig lower case, a touch of the e.e.cummings!

Last edited:

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Edyz? It's actually p.d.r. all lowercase. They are my initials not some weird acronym.

I always write my sig lower case, a touch of the e.e.cummings!

:D

Sorry, sorry! I apologise pdr.

Oh, and it's Eddyz. Thank you. ;)

daveHollins

Registered
Reaction score

Wellington's Foot Guards

I used to write for them and wrote the later Austrian books. Don't bother with the older Austrian MAAs by Haythornthwaite as they are out of date and largely wrong. You will find the information in my books or on the Net.

Osprey have sold their souls to the American market and will brook no criticism. I have just found myself accused of writing "personal comments" about two authors (Phil Haythornthwaite and Stuart Reid, author of the British books above). This is a complete lie as I merely pointed out that they lack the linguistic capacity to cover German subjects. I would advise you to avoid Haythornthwaite's upcoming Cavalry Tactics books for that reason. I would thus urge you to buy secondhand or at least from a major discounter. I was even the subject of a nasty email written by one of their staff - apparently being critical of that is making "personal comments".

They run on a 6.5% profit on turnover and with 60% of their turnover in North America, they are serious danger if the USD sinks further. They don't like that being pointed out either - having stuck two fingers up to the Europeans, whose euro is up 12c against the UKP over the past year!

If you want Underpants of the 82nd Airborne, they are just for you. theior coverage of anything pre-1939 is pretty poor in many cases and they have only just woken up to the 1812 bicentennial - the Russian MAAs are 25 years old!