• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Movable Type Management (formerly Movable Type Literary Group)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
It's not just one opinion - I read it on agents' blogs all the time. Janet Reid, for example, recently commented that she can't sell novels over 100,000 words right now.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
I sent Jason Ashlock my query, about 60 seconds later, he sent a response: "God, that's creepy. Send!" I emailed him the full about 5 minutes later, so we'll see what happens.

And with respect to the creepy part - I write dark suspense/horror. :)

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
That's a good response dgrintalis, congrats!!

Jason has had my materials for over 3 months, I sent a nudge shortly after the holidays. It is good to know that he's checking his email. :)

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I sent Jason Ashlock my query, about 60 seconds later, he sent a response: "God, that's creepy. Send!"

Congratulations!
Did you send a real query or just the first ten pages and the synopsis, just like they say in the PM website? You must have a powerful hook!

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
I sent a query, nothing else. My query hook is below in quotes. It didn't start out as a hook; it was just a cool line, IMO, to describe my book. I added it to my signature, then a bit later, added it to my query.

Moost

Is not my real name
Registered
Reaction score
New York. If you see me anywhere else I'm lost.
Eeek, I never updated here!

Mr. Ashlock had my full for 2 months- sent him a polite email updating my contact info (school email crapped out). He responded within minutes with an R. Completely personalized, mentioned he enjoyed it, some compliments on my writing...followed by the dreaded "I can't sell this" (I have a 21 year old male protagonist).

I'm definitely querying him with my next project. He is so sweet and personable through email!

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking my equery gotten eaten by gremlins. I'm going to resend. It's been 2 weeks and everyone else has heard back. Or do you guys think i should wait a bit longer

Hi there, did you end up re-sending? Did you hear back?

I haven't heard back either but then, contrary to other people that posted here, I followed his guidelines on the PM site and sent off the first 10 pages... So I'm thinking, it takes a bit longer to read those rather than just the query... still, not sure how long I should wait before sending a status query...

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
I still haven't heard back, even after my status query... Don't know whether I should send another one or just sit and wait.

xolotl

Registered
Reaction score
I GOT A REQUEST FOR FULL MORE THAN TWO MONTHS AFTER QUERYING. THE REQUEST CAME JUST AFTER THE HOLIDAYS, SO THAT WAS PROBABLY A FACTOR. STILL, IT MEANS THAT EVEN IF TWO OR THREE WEEKS HAVE PASSED, IT'S NOT NECESSARILY AN R

#1Jennifer

Registered
Reaction score
I GOT A REQUEST FOR FULL MORE THAN TWO MONTHS AFTER QUERYING. THE REQUEST CAME JUST AFTER THE HOLIDAYS, SO THAT WAS PROBABLY A FACTOR. STILL, IT MEANS THAT EVEN IF TWO OR THREE WEEKS HAVE PASSED, IT'S NOT NECESSARILY AN R
Congratulations

KDexter

Registered
Reaction score

Congrats! When did you send out your query? Just wondering because I sent one in early December and haven't heard anything yet.

KDexter

Registered
Reaction score
Scratch that, turns out I sent it in January.

*sigh*

You know how it is with the waiting. Seems like it's been far longer than it actually has.

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
It's good to read this thread that Jason Ashlock is a reputable agent - even if his response time may be slow at times. He recently contacted me about the possibility of writing a book about our adventures and I talked with him yesterday here in Manhattan. He was great to talk to and had soooo many ideas! I think I'll sign with him!

RoseMarie

Words ARE my blood...
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, the website he has loses me...what do you need to submit?

FROBONICUS

Registered
Reaction score
Here's what their Publishers Marketplace page http://publishersmarketplace.com/members/jasonashlock/ says:

General submissions may be sent via e-mail to [email protected].

Having found that that query letters do a fine job of showcasing one's talent in writing jacket copy or promotional material but rarely offer agents a useful preview of a writer's prosecraft, in lieu of query letters, MTLG asks that authors send the first ten pages of their manuscript, followed by a one page synopsis of the balance of the work, and a word count.

Marika

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Cheryl!!

How long did it from query to full to call?