querying publishers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocabum

Procrastinator/Doddlebutter
Registered
Reaction score
is it the same process, querying a publisher as it is querying an agent?? Do you simply send them the same query letter you've been sending agents, or is the process completely different?!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You tailor it to their guidelines, but I've queried agents and publishers using the same basic template. ALWAYS READ THE SPECIFIC GUIDELINES OF EACH AGENT/PUBLISHER.

deborahlea

queen of wandering
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deborah-bryan.com
Adding another question to the mix, do you approach publishers and agents at the same time? My current plan involves approaching publishers once I've exhausted appropriate agents, but I'm curious what paths others have taken.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto KTC & aka eraser. You might have to change a couple of sentences, but that's about it.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Adding another question to the mix, do you approach publishers and agents at the same time? My current plan involves approaching publishers once I've exhausted appropriate agents, but I'm curious what paths others have taken.

dont approach publishers until you've exhausted the agents. no agent wants to take you on and then be told that you've already approached publishers and was turned down. that leaves them nowhere to send the book.

deborahlea

queen of wandering
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deborah-bryan.com
dont approach publishers until you've exhausted the agents. no agent wants to take you on and then be told that you've already approached publishers and was turned down. that leaves them nowhere to send the book.

That was my rationale, as well. Thanks for weighing in!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto what Nevada said. EMPHATICALLY.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Timely questions and answers! Last night, reviewing "Writer's Market" I realized I'd only focused on agents. I could query publishers! Great to know the best way to handle it: agents first, then publishers. Thanks all!

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Novelists, I would advise you to query agents first. An agent will get you a publisher, but not many publishers will review unagented work. And everyone is right: don't leave an agent out in the cold with nowhere to send your book because you have already queried all the publishers yourself.

A note - if you absolutely positively cannot get an agent to represent your work, try doing a major revision or a different work. It might be your second book that clicks with an agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.