Confused about self e-publishing vs 3rd party e-publishing

VeryVerity

I like bewbs.
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a look through past threads but can't find this one, so here goes:

I downloaded a book off Smashwords the other day. It said "Somethingname publishing - Smashwords edition."

Whereas other books on SW are just Smashwords books i.e. Published direct to the website.

The publisher in question seems to be a very small e-publisher with a small group of authors.

I've gleaned that there are softwares that will convert into the various eBook formats, which presumably is mostly all that is involved in being your own publishing house, aside from promotion.

Is there then a different process for uploading to Smashwords, Kindle, et al, or is the upload process the same?

I suppose what I'm asking is, is the really a distinction on a small scale? Me being me would want to have my own publisher name, even if all I am doing is my own work.

I suppose I also need to know if I have understood the process correctly and whether there are any glaring holes in my knowledge.

Thank you
Verity

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I think if it says 'Smashwords edition' that sometimes indicates there are other editions (e.g. paper copies) also available. You can do that whether you are self publishing or not.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I included 'Smashwords edition' simply because Smashwords recommends it and has it on their model template. Also I figured it would mean that of a reader had a problem I could be sure which file they had and where they got it from.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
"Smashwords edition" is part of the template for the copyright page. It's all explained in the Smashwords Style Guide.

Uploading through Smashwords' Meatgrinder is one path. Another path is uploading direct to Kindle (Smashwords doesn't currently supply Amazon's Kindle store.)

You can also upload directly to the Nook, and the iBook. Naturally, those won't have the word "Smashwords" in 'em.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
And just to clarify, if the author uploading to Smashwords, Amazon (Kindle), Barnes and Nobel (Nook) or any other outlet it's all self-publishing. The venue doesn't change the self-pub classification.

Epublishing simply means the book is distributed as a digital file rather than a printed book. This may be done by a publishing house or an individual.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
And just to clarify, if the author uploading to Smashwords, Amazon (Kindle), Barnes and Nobel (Nook) or any other outlet it's all self-publishing. The venue doesn't change the self-pub classification.

However some of the accounts belong to publishers, not authors. So those books are not being self-published.

VeryVerity

I like bewbs.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all :)

I probably should get on with writing and completing something before asking possibly inane questions about publishing. Ha ha.

It makes sense now though, thank you :)

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
However some of the accounts belong to publishers, not authors. So those books are not being self-published.

Which is why I specified the AUTHOR uploading to the accounts. If a publisher uses the venues to distribute books it's not self-publishing.

I never implied venues are reserved for one or the other, just that self-pub and epub are not the same thing.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose what I'm asking is, is the really a distinction on a small scale? Me being me would want to have my own publisher name, even if all I am doing is my own work.

You can be your own publisher in a couple of days. Let me count the ways.

1. Publish under your true name. 'Published by Joe VeryVerity.' Keep all your receipts and a little logbook to keep track of payments and income for tax purposes. Your tax preparer will file it on a Schedule C as your personal tax.

2. Register a fictitious name with your state, say Skunkwords Publishing. That costs a small amount, $25 to $75. The fictitious name officially associates your company Skunkwords Publishing with your real name. The company still operates as a simple sole proprietorship, and your tax preparer will still file it on a schedule C.

3. You can form an S Corporation or an LLC. This involves a lot of maintenance in the form of reports and paperwork, big-league bookkeeping, and a separate tax form requiring an accountant's help. But it gives tax advantages that become important when you start to do tens of thousands of dollars business a year.

Last edited: