• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Love to read [insert genre here]--but can't write it. Anyone else has this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I love poetry. I tried to write it.I had delusions of grandeur that I could be like Maya Angelou or Nikki Giovanni. The results were dreadful and I quietly destroyed all evidence.

I like erotica. But when I try to write a love scene that is super explicit,the results turn out to be comical:roll:

I tried to write MG as a writing challenge from a friend. A werewolf showed up and ate the children. I cannot escape my natural inclination towards horror.

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
I love reading SFF (and it's most of what I read), but I suck at worldbuilding. I haven't given up entirely on writing it yet, cause I keep thinking maybe I will be able to come up with a imaginative and complex SFF world someday.

I can't decide if I should just write what comes more naturally even if it wouldn't appeal as much to my reading tastes, or to keep trying and struggling to write a book that I'd love to read.

Then there's also the fact that I really want to write prose but I've gotten much more favorable critiques on my poems. Ah I honestly don't know what's going on or what to do about the whole what you like reading and want to write doesn't match up with what you write quandary.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I love looking at Impressionist paintings. I never succeed in painting that way, if an example from another art helps.

Being an audience member is a very different thing from being a creator. What we are drawn to make may be very different from our enjoyments.

Status
Not open for further replies.