Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Oh - thanks.

It was for Black-out-Day to protest, but it kinda suits the mood of my character right now :D

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
Hey all you YA writers! Hope you're writing!!! :) I'm editing and researching NYC--specifically Manhattan--for a revise/resub. Let's hope I can incorporate all this cool new stuff I'm gleaning without making it all sound lame.

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
I'm doing the google map thing and I have a few books. But first-hand accounts are always helpful.

I'd love to know more about the NY Library--the big one with the lions out front. What it feels like when you're walking in, that main hall, and what it looks like from the back where Bryant Park butts against it. And, the back entrance. I'm having trouble finding pics for that...

And I'm curious how long it might take to walk from Midtown (like say, Empire State Building) to around Brooklyn Bridge.

Stuff like that...

:D

Emberchyld

Hanging out in Medieval Castles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
isabelbandeira.blogspot.com
I'd love to know more about the NY Library--the big one with the lions out front. What it feels like when you're walking in, that main hall, and what it looks like from the back where Bryant Park butts against it. And, the back entrance. I'm having trouble finding pics for that...

And I'm curious how long it might take to walk from Midtown (like say, Empire State Building) to around Brooklyn Bridge.

Stuff like that...

:D

I used to spend a LOT of time in Manhattan while in college and go in all of the time, but my haunts in Manhattan are usually the fabric district, the Strand, Lincoln Center, the B&N for booksignings, and anywhere there's a ballet class :p (Been inside NYPL, but it's been a while) BUT, I'll be in NYC for SCBWI next weekend and the NYPL is right where my ballet teacher lives (AND she's walked over the Brooklyn Bridge from her apt with her daughter's class), so if you can wait a week, I can get these questions to her & see if I can pop over to the Library with my camera? We'll also be skating at Bryant Park this weekend, weather permitting. Message me with all of your questions and I'll get them to her/answer any that I can myself :D

ETA: BTW, if you get a chance, look up weddings at the NYPL. OMG, Book lover's DREAM. $$$, though (had a friend research that and promptly give up on the idea)

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up in Manhattan, but only went to that library a handful of times. It's GIGANTIC and a bit overwhelming,which is why i rarely utilized it. Of course, if I was still in Manhattan now, I might use it a lot more than I used to now that I'm a more avid reader than I was then. I'm pretty sure the library hasn't changed much. It's pretty grand when you walk in as the outside is, but I can't remember much in the way of details. Did you see the movie The Day After Tomorrow? A big part of that movie takes place in that library and might help you out.

Robert L.B.

Tao of Wonka
Registered
Reaction score
Doubt anyone remembers me but eh what the hell. Returning to this board, though few years too late to go back to the Teens thread. Intention is to use this revival to try and spur me to finish a book instead of constantly haring off on tangents.

So hello there. Ignore the screen name, it's from a bygone era. If I could change it I'd be Madican. Much easier to remember and say.

Robert L.B.

Tao of Wonka
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to see you as well. Any of the other old faces still kicking around? Spotted Zoombie in the Teens thread.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Zoombie is in the Teen 4 Teens thread. So is Ally. KarlaEricCal pokes her head in there now and again too.

paperbackwriter

Paperbackwriter
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I keep rising from the dead and show back up here once in a while, (I sound like a zombie now) if you remember me. This site is like chocolate, or trying to eat one chip, you know that, right? LOL

PD, I wish you many cyber good wishes as you wait for an answer on your full. That's always a nail bitter.

Pixie, I've never been to NY I guess I'm no help, sorry. Good luck on your research!

I've been in the trenches editing my brains out. I started a new novel and can't decide if it's any good. (ever done that?) Oy!

Anyway, just popped in to see what ya'll were up to and it looks like a lot :p HAve a good day everyone.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
hi paperbackwriter - yes I remember you!

You and Pezie showed up about the same time. ;)

Yup, still waiting to hear back on the Full. Thanks for the well wishes. I still have about 3 weeks or so to wait. :/ But it will go fast, I hope. :D

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck again, PD!

So I named a stuffed dragon my bf gave me B-Dub short for BW because he's mostly black and there was a W on his tag. But then I started accidentally calling him P-Dragon since I call you that lmao. So I'll try to get into the habit of calling you PD or else I'll continue calling my stuffed dragon P-Dragon LOL

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck again, PD!

So I named a stuffed dragon my bf gave me B-Dub short for BW because he's mostly black and there was a W on his tag. But then I started accidentally calling him P-Dragon since I call you that lmao. So I'll try to get into the habit of calling you PD or else I'll continue calling my stuffed dragon P-Dragon LOL

Chuckling. Sorry, I guess we're both just so luvable *kidding*

And that's too funny. :)

Well this time I bookmarked the forum so I don't wander off and get lost again.

I have 13 threads bookmarked here. I need to start putting the ones I visit most in caps-lock though. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.