quotes in a novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

billz015

Registered
Reaction score
Currently I'm writing a novel where I include quotes from famous philosopher's and people. I do it in the way the Heinlein did Starship Troopers(he began each chapter w/ a quote to set the mood for the chapter), my main concern is how am I going to get it published, I mean do I have to go and secure permission to use the quotes, or what?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Depends entirely on the copyright issue involved. In the U.S., if the material was published prior to 1923, it is in public domain, and can be freely used. If later, as you are using it in a novel, you probably will need to get permissions.

Note also, that if you are quoting from a translation, say an English translation of Descartes, for example, the applicable date is the publication date of the translation, not that of Descartes' original Frankish writing.

So, who are you quoting?

caw.

Last edited:

billz015

Registered
Reaction score
Plato, the bible, Lincoln, G. K. Chesteron, and some arab proverbs I found

I'm not done with it yet so there'll be more people involved.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The Bible (as long as it is in a public-domain translation like the King James version) and anything of Lincoln published in his lifetime are in public domain. Chesterton died in 1936, but many of his publications are are pre-1923, and so are also PD in the US. The issue of Plato and the Arab proverbs would depend on the publication date of the actual source for the quotations. The following is a really good UK link to Chesterton's works:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/martin.ward/gkc/books/

caw.

Status
Not open for further replies.