• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Remosa Publishing

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Reading fees for competitions aren't unusual in the US; even the most legit, high-profile competitions usually have some kind of reading fee here.

On the other hand, that whole site looks amateurish. Aren't there dozens of better options for people's five pounds?

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
That's...an odd one.

Despite wanting sterling and having a UK domain, on the Contact Us page I've got a google map with a pin in San Francisco.

The lovely Veinglory has an entry regarding them.

Until there is ANY information about them at all, I wouldn't send anything to them, and I certainly wouldn't give them any money.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Google Street Maps pulls up a small terraced house for 5 Joseph Street, Manchester. It's not a business, it looks like a private residence.

First prize is £200 quid. Second prize is £50. That's a total prize fund of £250. They only need 50 entries to make that and I doubt they're going to have many admin fees if it's a private residence.

Then there's the fact that they're judging on the basis of 3 chapters and a synopsis rather than a whole novel. You can't judge a competition on that basis, let alone put up the 2 "winning" entries on your website (which, incidentally, will cost you first publishing rights).

Then there's the fact that they seem to think they've got the right to publish your book just because you've entered their poxy competition. Uh, I don't think so.

In conclusion - amateur hour at best, rip-off at worst. Your book deserves better.

MM

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
Reading fees don't immediately make something not legit. I have seen fees for some great competitions. But if can't put your mind it ease after looking at their name, or after searching yourself, then they are probably not worth the fee. Also, I have never seen a fee of over 50 dollars that was legitimate. In my personal experience.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is not a competition when they have automatic first refusal rights to every novel entered. It is a rather predatory open call with a reading fee, and a small cash prize as a distraction.

" 1. All entries submitted must be original work completed by the entrant and must not infringe any copyright laws. 2. Remosa Publishing have first right of refusal for publication of any and all competition entries. Entries should not be submitted to other publishing companies until 60 days following the close of the competition. 3. If entries have been submitted to other publishing companies prior to entry into the competition Remosa Publishing must be advised of who the entry was sent to, when and also whether an offer of publication was made. 4. Remosa Publishing reserve the right to request the return of any prize monies awarded should any conditions of entry be contravened"

Last edited:

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
It is not a competition when they have automatic first refusal rights to every novel entered. It is a rather predatory open call with a reading fee, and a small cash prize as a distraction.

" 1. All entries submitted must be original work completed by the entrant and must not infringe any copyright laws. 2. Remosa Publishing have first right of refusal for publication of any and all competition entries. Entries should not be submitted to other publishing companies until 60 days following the close of the competition. 3. If entries have been submitted to other publishing companies prior to entry into the competition Remosa Publishing must be advised of who the entry was sent to, when and also whether an offer of publication was made. 4. Remosa Publishing reserve the right to request the return of any prize monies awarded should any conditions of entry be contravened"

VERY good catch. Yes that means that they require you to pay them to submit your work, basically as a query.

A clever "contest" to get rights to your story until rejection, and to make you pay to have your story read.

Five submissions pay for the second prize.

Fourty submissions pay for the first prize.

What will have been accomplished? Well, if 100 people submit, they make 500 easy pounds (I suck at math, correct me if I am wrong) And they dish out 250. A cool net of 250 pounds.

What do they do? They are simply reading each query and accepting or rejecting it for publication.

Good way to make money while doing exactly what every other publisher does - dig through the slush pile for publishable stories.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It is not a competition when they have automatic first refusal rights to every novel entered

Thank you, veinglory! Holy carp, that's predatory. I found the site so amateurish that my brain just bounced off the text.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's gone. If their Tw feed is indicative, didn't survive beyond Mar '12. No sign anything published.