How many books have been sold??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Math_Wiz

Let's say I go to the library and take out a book, and I find out that I really like it alot. And let's say I want to find out how many copies have been published and/or sold (plus or minus 50,000 copies). How would I go about doing that? Does anybody know?

Thanks,
Math_Wiz

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to know that too.

jules

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I believe you have to pay them for the service. And note that it only includes sales from participating book stores in the US; any sales outside the US will not be included, and some within aren't too, so it's probably not exactly what you want anyway.

jules

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
You could try writing to the author and asking very nicely. If he's been paying attention to his royalty statements he should have a fair idea how many copies have been sold.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Math_Wiz said:
Let's say I go to the library and take out a book, and I find out that I really like it alot. And let's say I want to find out how many copies have been published and/or sold (plus or minus 50,000 copies). How would I go about doing that? Does anybody know?

Thanks,
Math_Wiz

You can call Ingram at 1-800-937-8000 ext 36803 and put in the ISBN to get an idea of how many they sold this year, last year, and all time. Its not perfect, but it will give you some idea.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
All of these only tell you part of the picture. If you need real, complete sales figure, you probably should ask the author, agent or the publisher.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Heh... authors have been trying to find out this same information since publishing began! Even semi-annual royalty statements don't tell an author how many books are SOLD. The publisher will only tell you how many have been shipped, and returned, but what might still be on the shelf in any particular store is unknown. BookScan has bits of the information. Mind you, they have the MOST bits of anyone, but lack significant secondary markets like Wal-Mart, Target, mom-and-pop groceries and independent bookstores (unless they happen to use a major distributor, like General Independents, to get their books.) And BookScan is EXPENSIVE! Each individual list (like Romance, or Science Fiction) costs thousands of dollars per year. I think I heard once that the FULL list is in the quarter million per year range.

It's frustrating, but there you go... :Shrug:

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
maestrowork said:
Amazon.com sales rank is good for nothing.

Well, it's certainly of limited value, but it will indicate if a book is selling well at any given time. It's certainly better to be # 106 that #100,106.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It only makes a difference if you're in the 10,000 range. Outside, all it says is that your book sold one or two copies THIS week.

Status
Not open for further replies.