Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Smiley & JustBishop! Nice to "see" you again.

How have I been? Well...weird. I think i told you guys my first book got accepted by a good e-publisher a week ago and I've been overwhelmed with good intent and lots of advice and surreal excitement and...total freak-show, boot-shakin' FEAR! The feeling doesn't hold a candle to the ...um...(unspeakable horror) films I brought up last week. I know that shouldn't be the case for me. I live in Kansas. Kansas is where men are men and cows are cows and men wear mullets and so do the cows at certain genetic dairy farms, and mulleted men eat cows and know they're mulleted, while doing it and loving it. Or something.

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around it. But...I've found a great mentor (well, she found me), already have a good relationship with an editor (actually I think we sorta' found each other). It's just very strange. And the weirdest thing? I have no desire to write right now. ANd I know, right? It's my passion (other than...GASP...horror films)...but, right now, the entire promotion aspect, the new friends, the constant need (no...new addiction) to keep up with everyone and everything, bla, bla, bla is TOTALLY FREAKING ME OUT! I've been on a freak-show ride of frettered nerves and a fragile male ego that's teetering on thin ice.

Honestly, I am a little concerned that I don't have the drive nor ability right now to sit down and write. And that's what it's all about.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and did I mention that once I began talking to you guys and other authors, I began to doubt my talent? In comparison to yours and what I've read? That's it...I'm becoming verklempt.

I swear, for being one of the few (only?) male writers on here, crocheting skills or not, I may be one of the thinnest skinned folks on here.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Oh, and did I mention that once I began talking to you guys and other authors, I began to doubt my talent? In comparison to yours and what I've read? That's it...I'm becoming verklempt.

I swear, for being one of the few (only?) male writers on here, crocheting skills or not, I may be one of the thinnest skinned folks on here.

Nah. I try to take crits on the chin in "public", but each and every one makes me wonder what the hell I think I'm doing writing so much as a grocery list.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the cyber hugs, guys. What I like hearing is that I'm not alone in my totally weird, self-doubting, moments of weakness.

And...why is it, that every male writer I've met over the past week is bald (myself included)? What's up with that anyway? Sure, it's better than mullets, but still...I'm just sayin'.

Okay, ladies...move over and pass me the crocheting needles...the big guy's ready to stitch.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys. My aim for today is to figure out how to fix the Will's-mum's-death-threw-me writer's block.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm using it for notes.

I do the majority of my writing on my laptop.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I want some now.

If I wasn't watching TV and feeling lazy, I would so go and buy some.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
LOL day drinking? :tongue

And alright it's almost noon. I'm breaking out the chocolate. :D

Haha. I have no shame in day drinking. But it is 7 pm here and I have had a glass of wine already. Homebrewed for the win!

So how is everyone's writing/editing going?

Writing went well today. I got 2,000 words in before 10:30 am. I'm almost at the finish line of draft one :)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon all! Sheesh, we're already needing to bust out the chocolate and alcohol? *sips chocolate martini* (jking).

writing. meh. got some words down yesterday, today i've had to run around getting gifts for teachers and I have to run out in an hour or so to get cookies for the party in one of my girls classroom that I will be attending from 2-3. Then we have a library thing we're signed up for at 4:30 so my day is pretty shot. sigh. I will hopefully writing tonight when the girls go to bed and JC has class tonight at 10pm so I'll see if I can get some done then. I'm about 12K from being done with this first(ish) draft. I also have beta reading to do. NOT ENOUGH HOURS IN THE DAY!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.