Not open for further replies.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
loquax said:
Same here - I rarely emphasise the words. Whatever I say, the person normally knows if I'm being sarcastic. If I was with by brother and he was making a pizza, and he said "should I put mushrooms on it?", I would say "yeah sure". A stranger standing in the room would expect my brother to then proceed to put mushrooms on the pizza. But that stranger wouldn't know that both my brother and I hate mushrooms, and that both the question and the answer were sarcastic.

Ok, so using this example, where there is nothing in the dialogue itself to indicate sarcasm and there are no words to be emphasized. How would you all write this scene to show sarcasm without changing the dialogue?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
My brother looked at me, his hands on his hips, and a big, goofy grin on his face. "Should I put mushrooms on it?"
I clapped my hands together like a little girl, following his lead in this game we played whenver we made pizza. "Yeah, sure."

Of course, this wasn't going to happen - my brother and I both hate mushrooms.

(See how I used the interior monologue to convey the intention, and the action showed that they were being silly/sarcastic about it?)

dante-x

Registered
Reaction score
“Digging to the rhythm and the echo of a solitary
Website
www.mirrorsthejourney.com
maestrowork said:
"Pizza will be fine. Gee, I should have thought of that three hours ago before I started cooking. What was I thinking? Wow, you're a genius."

While I appreciate the addition of emotional context creation sentences:

"Gee, I should have thought of that three hours ago before I started cooking. What was I thinking? Wow, you're a genius"

to the dialogue, for example, it can compromise the character. If I had a character wouldn't add that those two or three sentences I would be more inclined to use a description or even an adverb, but perhaps that's just me.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
maestrowork said:
But in prose, the writer can't be lazy. Your dialogue will have to work extra hard to deliver because you can't depend on the "actors." If you simply write "He said sarcastically, 'Yeah right.' " there is nothing really "wrong" with it -- it just makes you a lazy writer. Anything (an eye-roll or a brief sigh or mouth-twitch) is better than "he said sarcastically." All about show vs. tell.

THERE! Finally! NOW I understand. Thank you. Show don't tell. I'm giving you a rep point for that.

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
Brad sat in the common room, reading a paper. He looked up as Chet took a seat next to him."Hey."
Chet leaned back in his chair and sighed. "You know what? I really hate white folk."
"How come?"
"Well for starters they're always oppressing minorities. And it's ironic, really, because when you look at the world as a whole, white folk are in the minority."
"Yeah, I know what you mean," said Brad. "And white males are even worse. You know, because they oppress women, too."
"Yeah, white males are all the same. Someone should wipe 'em out."
"I'll get on that."

My attempt at showing a conversation that's obviously sarcastic without actually showing any sign of it (sounds crazy, but this kind of conversation happened all the time in my old high school. Maybe we had a strange sense of humour)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
But we're talking about the written word. The first thing I learned when I found the Internet was that sarcasm does not translate well. The people can't HEAR how you emphasize the words (like they can on TV).

Thus, IMO, you need qualifiers like "he said with sarcasm" because otherwise the reader won't know.

For instance, I can have:

"Just finish your homework. Your imagination is working overtime."

"Right, dad."

It sounds like an ordinary convo. This is how it actually appears:

"Just finish your homework. Your imagination is working overtime."

"Right, dad," she said in that sarcastic tone kids achieve so well.

You never need qualifiers, if you can write well enouigh. Qualifiers mean you don;t trust what you've written, and have to expplain it to teh reader. If you have to explain it, you've already blown it.

Good sarcasm never needs an explanation. If it does, it's the sentence that's wrong, not teh fact that it's the written word. If it sounds like ordinary converstaion, it IS ordinary conversation.

"Right, dad" isn't good sarcasm, no matter how you write it or say it. Good sarcasm is, in and of itself, perfectly understandable as sarcasm, whether it's listened to or written.

Good sarcasm isn't how you empasize the words, an dit isn't the tone you use, it's the particular words you use and what they say. I think too many cofuse saying something sarcastically with actual sarcasm. They're two very different things. "Right, dad," is not sarcasm, it's simply a couple of ordinary words you want the charadcter to say sarcastically. This does work much better on TV than in books. The written word needs actualy sarcasm, not words that are said sarcastically.

Actual sarcasm does not need an explanatiopn, and never needs to be said sarcastically. What the words say does the deed. Real sarcasm can be, and usually is, spoken in a straight forward tone of voice.

Again, I'd say watch Friends. Or better, if you think it doesn't work when written, I'd say read one of the scripts for Friends. No one needs to be told when sarcasm is being used. No explanations necessary.

"If you aren't making enough money, why don't you think about joining the military?

"Great idea, Dad. That way I can still be poor while I'm getting shot at. I'll sign up tomorrow."

Another problem with writing "he said sarcastically," is that not only isn't it needed with real sarcasm, it's going to get very old, very fast, which means you aren't going to be able to use it very often at all.

"Jake, I have a blind date tonight. Do you think she'll notice this zit on my face?"

"Nah, she won't notice. . . as long as she really is blind.

or "Nah, she won't notice something like a zit. She might see that rotton orange stuck on your cheek, tough."

Yet another problem with writing "he said sarcastically" after words like "Right, dad," is that the reader has already read the words, has already sounded them out in his mind in a certain way, and now you tell him he read them wrong. Wait, you say, I know those are ordinary words, and you read them just like ordinary words, but that was wrong. You have to go back and add a sarcastic tone to them.

Nope, real sarcasm isn't tone or emphasis. That's for visual medium. For the written word, and for good visual medium, sarcasm is what someone says, not how they say it.

Again, watch friends. The character of Chandler is a master of sarcasm, and never faisl to get it sebvel lines of sarcasm in each episode. But it's what he says that makes it sarcasm, not the tone or the emphasis.

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Jamesaritchie said:
You never need qualifiers, if you can write well enouigh. Qualifiers mean you don;t trust what you've written, and have to expplain it to teh reader. If you have to explain it, you've already blown it.

Good sarcasm never needs an explanation. If it does, it's the sentence that's wrong, not teh fact that it's the written word. If it sounds like ordinary converstaion, it IS ordinary conversation.

"Right, dad" isn't good sarcasm, no matter how you write it or say it. Good sarcasm is, in and of itself, perfectly understandable as sarcasm, whether it's listened to or written.

Good sarcasm isn't how you empasize the words, an dit isn't the tone you use, it's the particular words you use and what they say. I think too many cofuse saying something sarcastically with actual sarcasm. They're two very different things. "Right, dad," is not sarcasm, it's simply a couple of ordinary words you want the charadcter to say sarcastically. This does work much better on TV than in books. The written word needs actualy sarcasm, not words that are said sarcastically.

Actual sarcasm does not need an explanatiopn, and never needs to be said sarcastically. What the words say does the deed. Real sarcasm can be, and usually is, spoken in a straight forward tone of voice.

Again, I'd say watch Friends. Or better, if you think it doesn't work when written, I'd say read one of the scripts for Friends. No one needs to be told when sarcasm is being used. No explanations necessary.

"If you aren't making enough money, why don't you think about joining the military?

"Great idea, Dad. That way I can still be poor while I'm getting shot at. I'll sign up tomorrow."

Another problem with writing "he said sarcastically," is that not only isn't it needed with real sarcasm, it's going to get very old, very fast, which means you aren't going to be able to use it very often at all.

"Jake, I have a blind date tonight. Do you think she'll notice this zit on my face?"

"Nah, she won't notice. . . as long as she really is blind.

or "Nah, she won't notice something like a zit. She might see that rotton orange stuck on your cheek, tough."

Yet another problem with writing "he said sarcastically" after words like "Right, dad," is that the reader has already read the words, has already sounded them out in his mind in a certain way, and now you tell him he read them wrong. Wait, you say, I know those are ordinary words, and you read them just like ordinary words, but that was wrong. You have to go back and add a sarcastic tone to them.

Nope, real sarcasm isn't tone or emphasis. That's for visual medium. For the written word, and for good visual medium, sarcasm is what someone says, not how they say it.

Again, watch friends. The character of Chandler is a master of sarcasm, and never faisl to get it sebvel lines of sarcasm in each episode. But it's what he says that makes it sarcasm, not the tone or the emphasis.

Excellent post.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you can say definitively that "Right, dad," isn't sarcasm. It might not be the way you like your sarcasm, James, but it still can be sarcasm. And if the character is, say, a teenage girl, & the type to use that kind of sarcasm (as opposed to Chandler-style sarcasm), the writer shouldn't change the style of the dialogue just to try & avoid the "sin" of an adverb. There are other ways to show that this comment was made sarcastically, but use too many of those, & it's as bad as an adverb (especially if they roll their eyes or sigh every time & sarcasm comes up in every chapter. It will get old.).

Sarcasm isn't a tone? Tell that to all those people who use a sarcastic tone to get across their meaning. Tell it to those who post a sarcastic comment on a website & get reamed for something that they didn't mean because the tone wasn't there. I've seen at least two uses of "sooo" in this thread as an example of someone making a sarcastic comment. I knew it was sarcasm because of the emphasis.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying litter the dialogue with tags & adverbs. But when you read, your eyes involuntarily flicker around the sentence. As you read the dialogue, your brain has already processed "sarcastically," even though you haven't read that far. That's why it's harder to get the rhythm of a sentence down when you read line by line (like, if you blocked the next line or word w/ a piece of paper that you only moved as you proceeded) or when the rest of the sentence is on the next page.

I'm just saying, there's not one way to write or to speak sarcastically. You shouldn't have to tell your reader that every sarcastic line is sarcastic, but you might need to once in a while due to the nature of the line, & one adverb won't destroy the work. If "real sarcasm" doesn't include tone or emphasis, there are many, many people who use "fake" sarcasm. Don't compromise the character just because you want to get sarcasm "right."

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think what James was saying is that we should always aim high. If you want to show sarcasm, go all out for it, and don't just do a weak "'Right, dad,' he said sarcastically." A writer should always make the best choice. If "right, dad" is what the character would say -- and that's all he would say to be "sarcastic" -- then maybe you have the wrong character... because, to me, that's boring.

IMHO, letting a character say something that doesn't even marginally pass as sarcasm is compromising the character. You've chosen to portray a boring, lackluster character. That's why Chandler is a strong, sarcastic character that sarcasm comes natural to him. Joey is not -- Joey won't know sarcasm if it hits him in the face.

We can argue about the fine point of sarcasm. To me, sarcasm is "Pizza is fine. I should have thought about that three hours ago before I started cooking. Wow, you're a genius" and not just "Pizza is fine." The latter is simply "grumbling," reminding me of a little kids saying, "Fine, be that way." That's no sarcasm.

scribbler1382

Write For You, Edit For The Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soderstrom.ca
I think James is talking about perception. "Right, Dad" may indeed be intended as sarcasm, but on its own it won't be perceived as such. Qualifying this by saying you can MAKE it be perceived as sarcasm using tags or adverbs or such doesn't change what it is. You can put wings, a tail and a beak on a hamster, but it still ain't gonna fly...not very far, anyways. IMO, contrivances of any sort in writing is the wrong way to go.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I know for certain my kids can say "Right, dad" and make is sound so sarcastic you want to backhand them. It IS about tone and emphasis.

Just as "whatever" is just a word until your 10-year-old uses it.

As Sage said, I'm not going to have every line of dialog appended with "he said sarcastically" "her voice full of sarcasm" and so on. The rest of the time it IS the dialog that will indicate the sarcasm, in addition there are the rolled eyes, scrunched faces, and the like used to help indicate it.

Showing once or twice in a 100,000 word doc isn't going to bother anyone, I wouldn't think. The word appears once so far in my 34000 word WIP and there is a lot of sarcasm going on.

And stop telling me to watch Friends. I hate that show. :p

Can someone tell me exactly what kids mean when they say (sarcatically) "As if."

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
But there are all sorts of characters you have to balance in your work. A minor character might say "Right, dad" sarcastically, with no need to establish before that they are prone to sarcasm. Chandler might walk in & say something incredibly witty & obviously sarcarstic with no need for tone (though, often it's still used in Friends). Some other character might be prone to using sarcasm with tone, emphasis, & eye rolling, but won't be as witty as Chandler. Different characters have different styles. Not every character is a master of wit, but can still be true to life. The way they speak a sarcastic line won't determine whether they're interesting, I'd hope.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Shadow_Ferret said:
I know for certain my kids can say "Right, dad" and make is sound so sarcastic you want to backhand them. It IS about tone and emphasis.

That's the thing, though... fiction is not an exact mirror of real life. In real life, your kids can say "right, dad" with that tone you hate so much and they say it so often that you just know. But in fiction, you should always aim higher than the mundane. Fiction should always be a bit larger than life. If you want your character to "pop" off the page, you need to give them character. Once in a while, it's OK to just say "right dad" sarcastically. But after a while, your character may sound really boring.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Sage said:
But there are all sorts of characters you have to balance in your work. A minor character might say "Right, dad" sarcastically, with no need to establish before that they are prone to sarcasm. Chandler might walk in & say something incredibly witty & obviously sarcarstic with no need for tone (though, often it's still used in Friends). Some other character might be prone to using sarcasm with tone, emphasis, & eye rolling, but won't be as witty as Chandler. Different characters have different styles. Not every character is a master of wit, but can still be true to life. The way they speak a sarcastic line won't determine whether they're interesting, I'd hope.

It's about choice. Make your characters interesting, even if they're just minor characters. If they're not the Chandler type, then why bother with sarcasm? Just let them say, "OK, Dad" then grumble a bit. Your readers won't care. If you want to use sarcasm, give it to a character who is a master of it. The writers of Friends know to give the sarcasm to Chandler, and keep the other characters straight, so to speak. Yeah, once in a while Ross might be saying something really sarcastic as well, but I bet Ross wouldn't have said "Right, Chandler" either. These characters are memorable because of their personalities and what they say or do. If you find yourself having to qualify everything these characters do or say, then you should reexamine if your characters are interesting enough.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yeah, they can SAY it, but can YOU WRITE IT. No. Which is why so many flame wars are started on the internet. You can show how the character's body language conveys their feeling, or tone, or you can make the dialogue speak for itself. What you shouldn't do is beat your audience over the head with what you want to tell them, ie: "he said sarcastically."

Actually, you could write this convincingly, and skip the weak adverbs.

' "Right, Dad," he said, his voice tinged with sarcasm.' Is MUCH stronger than "he said sarcastically."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sage said:
I don't think you can say definitively that "Right, dad," isn't sarcasm. It might not be the way you like your sarcasm, James, but it still can be sarcasm. And if the character is, say, a teenage girl, & the type to use that kind of sarcasm (as opposed to Chandler-style sarcasm), the writer shouldn't change the style of the dialogue just to try & avoid the "sin" of an adverb. There are other ways to show that this comment was made sarcastically, but use too many of those, & it's as bad as an adverb (especially if they roll their eyes or sigh every time & sarcasm comes up in every chapter. It will get old.).

Sarcasm isn't a tone? Tell that to all those people who use a sarcastic tone to get across their meaning. Tell it to those who post a sarcastic comment on a website & get reamed for something that they didn't mean because the tone wasn't there. I've seen at least two uses of "sooo" in this thread as an example of someone making a sarcastic comment. I knew it was sarcasm because of the emphasis.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying litter the dialogue with tags & adverbs. But when you read, your eyes involuntarily flicker around the sentence. As you read the dialogue, your brain has already processed "sarcastically," even though you haven't read that far. That's why it's harder to get the rhythm of a sentence down when you read line by line (like, if you blocked the next line or word w/ a piece of paper that you only moved as you proceeded) or when the rest of the sentence is on the next page.

I'm just saying, there's not one way to write or to speak sarcastically. You shouldn't have to tell your reader that every sarcastic line is sarcastic, but you might need to once in a while due to the nature of the line, & one adverb won't destroy the work. If "real sarcasm" doesn't include tone or emphasis, there are many, many people who use "fake" sarcasm. Don't compromise the character just because you want to get sarcasm "right."

No, sarcasm is not tone, no matter how many people use a tone to get their point across. I'd say look up the definition of sarcasm.

My dictionary says: "Sarcasm: Witty language used to convey insults or scorn.

Merriam_Webster says: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain <tired of continual sarcasms>
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm <this is no time to indulge in sarcasm>

Sarcasm is wit and good use of language. It is not tone. Tone is nearly always someone just being a smart***. That's all it is. It is not, and cannot be, sarcasm unless couple with a witty use of langauge.

There are not many people who use fake sarcasm, there are only people who call tone something it isn't, and it isn't sarcasm. There are simply many people who don't know what sarcasm is and isn't, and what tone is and isn't. Just because someone uses the tone you're talking about does not in any way mean they're being sarcastic. It nearly always means they're just being a wise acre. That's the difference. Being a wise acre with tone does not mean one is using sarcasm.

If there is no wit, there is no sarcasm. Period. "Right, Dad," is never, ever sarcasm. It's just two ordinary words that you want a reader to believe have been said sarcastically, when it fact they're not being said sarcastically at all, they're just being said in a smart*** tone. Ir order to be said sarcastically, wit would have to be involved.

If you have to tell the reader what you're using sarcasm, you aren't using sarcasm.

Which does not, of course, mean there isn't a time and place for such usage. But it does mean such usage is not ever the same thing as sarcasm. Tone of voice is not sarcasm. Good, witty use of language is sarcasm.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:

Just as "whatever" is just a word until your 10-year-old uses it.

As Sage said, I'm not going to have every line of dialog appended with "he said sarcastically" "her voice full of sarcasm" and so on. The rest of the time it IS the dialog that will indicate the sarcasm, in addition there are the rolled eyes, scrunched faces, and the like used to help indicate it.

Showing once or twice in a 100,000 word doc isn't going to bother anyone, I wouldn't think. The word appears once so far in my 34000 word WIP and there is a lot of sarcasm going on.

And stop telling me to watch Friends. I hate that show. :p

Can someone tell me exactly what kids mean when they say (sarcatically) "As if."

Yes, when your kids use that tone, it IS about emphasis. The problem is that the tone has nothing to do with sarcasm. The tone is just your kid either humoring you, or your kid being a wise acre. That is NOT what sarcasm is.

And tones do not drip with sarcasm, no matter who does the writing. Sarcasm is teh words you use, not the tone you use to say those words.
And, really, when your kids take that tone, do you say, "Watch your sarcasm, or watch your tone?"

For that matter, even when tone is used in fiction, it's better done by showing, rather than telling.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Jamesaritchie said:
Yes, when your kids use that tone, it IS about emphasis. The problem is that the tone has nothing to do with sarcasm. The tone is just your kid either humoring you, or your kid being a wise acre. That is NOT what sarcasm is.

And tones do not drip with sarcasm, no matter who does the writing. Sarcasm is teh words you use, not the tone you use to say those words.

So really, your contention isn't so much that, "Right, dad," she said with all the sarcasm a 10-year-old can muster. is wrong because of the showing don't tell aspect as it is just plain DICTIONARY wrong. So that if that sentence read, "Right, dad," she said with all the snarkiness a 10-year-old can muster. you'd have no problem with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.