SciFi/Fantasy First Line Game

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The infinite capacity of the human brain to store data and the speed at which it analyzes information sent along its synapses is precisely why Intel replaced the cores of most modern PC devices.

Grunkins

Grand adventurer of the couch
Registered
Reaction score
One fish, two fish, red fish, genophased daggermouth anthrobloodfish.

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I spit the raw stake on the floor and checked the manacles; they'd held the night

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
"Lord Grimm, the condemned is ready, and she pleads that you eschew the traditional ax, m'lord, in deference to her clan's ceremonial broadsword."

morrbee

Registered
Reaction score
No one knew what to do about the golden goose, even though it was destroying the village economy.

Now this I like. Amongst all the hackneyed junk in this thread (including my own, I hasten to add), this is something special. It's not a pretty, honed-til-it-gleams sentence, by my God, it does a lot in 18 words, and I am very much intrigued...

Anaximander

Registered
Reaction score
No amount of training - even the new VR stuff - can prevent the moment of pure terror that accompanies the unmistakable thud of your ship explosively decompressing around you.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who would want to maim my clone with a sonic waffle is beyond me.

noema

Registered
Reaction score
A sudden grin fractured the Alien's face; who would have guessed that bubblegum and popcorn would be the saviors of humanity?

Lord Hierarch

Registered
Reaction score
"All those that you were scared of as a kid are real. You get to kill them. Welcome to the Corps son."

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
"All those that you were scared of as a kid are real. You get to kill them. Welcome to the Corps son."

Yay! New players! Welcome to the game! :D

That said, this entry violates the rules ducky laid down for the game when starting it. Specifically:

1. Every post (even ones like this one I am making now) must contain a first line.
  2. The first line must be clearly speculative in nature, the start of a fantasy/SF story.
  3. The first line must be one sentence. No multi-sentence quotes, no gluing the lines together with semicolons higgledy-piggledy and so on.

Unfortunately, your entry doesn't meet the third criteria. No big deal — this is just a game, after all — but a rule to keep in mind for future entries. And now, in keeping with those rules, I need to put a first line down...

The tiger watched me with head tilted quizzically to one side, the polished brass gears of its mind ticking loudly enough that I could hear them even through the painted leather hide.

noema

Registered
Reaction score
On the seven hundredth day of my twelfth life I became the man who saved the world.

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hugged skirted the rubble-strewn brick wall as an air tank and two cloudbikes rumbled overhead.

noema

Registered
Reaction score
Damn, who would have guessed the lake of fire was just God's bowl of hot soup.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
When I say that I was sleeping with a pair of three-legged prostitutes on Delsion IV, I'm using the word sleep in a way that would make most dictionaries blush.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
There's not much to be positive about when you know a squad of priest-executioners will come for you when the candle you're watching burns down and will hang you from the neck until rotten, but the candle is made from the sperm of the hammer-headed eagle from the plains of Chronos III and burns slower than most.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Space; the epitome of industrial living -- and a certain pest issue with master roaches.

bickazer

someday we'll shine together
Registered
Reaction score
I had yet to fall asleep, and the demons cavorting outside in the courtyard did nothing to help.