Ray's House of Love (Volume II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

peydob

Banned
Reaction score
Normally I don't pay much attention to basketball but it's been impossible to live here and not be aware of it. Anyway, my team lost but they made the winners work for it.
I think the St Louis team is a professional one. My Cardinals are a college team.

I like basketball!

peydob

Banned
Reaction score
What's Maryn doing now? She can't complain we didn't think of her right now!

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
She probably didn't take the laptop out of town, as her plan was to wear undies and a raincoat!
Fried bananas? Do you slice across the banana, pandora? Or lengthwise? Can do with plantains, too? I just learned that some plantains are larger than bananas (on an Erotica SYW, shhh)

peydob

Banned
Reaction score
Plantains are larger than bananas?!I'd like to see that. off to Erotica

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Chromosomically-challenged writer needs help describing an article of womens' apparel. You know those long unbelted ankle-length dresses women wear in the summer? Sleeveless, something light so must feel cool even covering you up...googling turns up ads for stuff like "maxi dress". Does that sound right? Setting is this: character is a middle-aged pastor in a megachurch in Las Vegas in the summertime. She is meeting the MCs for premarital counseling on a weekday, so is not dressed in pastoral robes or anything like that. I started to write [Pastor Hannah] wore a sleeveless maxi dress, pleated from neck to ankles, the effect flowing as she walked."
I don't know, it just sounds like the JC Penney ad I borrowed maxi from.

Trevor, not writing home about wardrobe condition

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
So what's your duties towel boy?
Was striking out my statement to indicate you're not fairly new to AW and already know the context? But, then, why ask?

In spite of that ambiguity, I'll break it down. Towel boy: provides towels...and accepts tips.

Ya got me. :flag: You must have roots in investigative reporting. Whew, and I thought military counterinsurgency-ops debriefings were onerous. :rolleyes

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Chromosomically-challenged writer needs help describing an article of womens' apparel. You know those long unbelted ankle-length dresses women wear in the summer? Sleeveless, something light so must feel cool even covering you up...googling turns up ads for stuff like "maxi dress". Does that sound right? Setting is this: character is a middle-aged pastor in a megachurch in Las Vegas in the summertime. She is meeting the MCs for premarital counseling on a weekday, so is not dressed in pastoral robes or anything like that. I started to write [Pastor Hannah] wore a sleeveless maxi dress, pleated from neck to ankles, the effect flowing as she walked."

Trevor, are you thinking sun dresses, or "sundresses"? Do a quick search on images of those and see if it's what you had in mind.

Okay, maybe I shouldn't go into too much depth why, when I pictured your description, it sent my mind reeling to a vision of something I find quite beautiful and alluring, in spite of the context in which you've placed it.

Russ, with distant memories of young hippie girls' figures, silhouetted by the sun, dancing inside light and flowered, filmy sundresses on wondrous California summer days.

Last edited:

peydob

Banned
Reaction score
Was striking out my statement to indicate you're not fairly new to AW and already know the context? But, then, why ask?

In spite of that ambiguity, I'll break it down. Towel boy: provides towels...and accepts tips.

Ya got me. :flag: You must have roots in investigative reporting. Whew, and I thought military counterinsurgency-ops debriefings were onerous. :rolleyes

[FONT=&quot]I did it in the name of all newbies all over the world so we wouldn't feel belittled. :)
[/FONT]

I think I'm about to use a hot tub and get some quality time and some hot tub yoga.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Would it be something like this?

images

This is a kaftan. I wear them all summer.

With nothing underneath.

:)

*grabs towel boy's butt*

*tips him $2*

*runs walks away sedately*

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Gail. My dictionary says "caftan[preferred spelling, kaftan a variant, Russian]: a usu. ankle-length garment with long sleeves that is common throughout the Levant." My first image was of a sleeveless dress but my character is trying on a caftan and liking it. Seems to fit (with or without anything on underneath) with walking sedately.

Trevor, adding English Leather to shopping list

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes, Kaftans. I didn't think of that. Sorry for my sundress nonsense.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Maryn, I can help keep the thread on page one. But be amusing or interesting?
Would anybody find it interesting that I saw a white Thoroughbred, a Lipizzan and a gypsy horse last weekend?...

Isn't anyone else as intrigued about this as I am?

A white Thoroughbred???

That is rare.

Which breeds are considered "gypsy" horses and how do you know them once you see them?

We have a Lipizzan stable in the county I live in and they put on shows every summer. I still haven't seen them, which is ridiculous since I'm a horse nut.

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Beatrix, it amuses the hell out of me! Remember that maniac, Gen. Patton, and his involvement with the Lipizzan horses? I'm often amused by noteworthy figures' kinks.

I used to work with Col. Oliver North (Marine...Iran-Contra), and you wouldn't believe some of his kinks!

I have a few kinks, but who the hell cares?

Russ, praying for continued un-notoriety.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm home. I'm tired. I might be getting sick--but several days without the internet have been very, very good for my bad hand. I think we've got the proof I need that the mouse is behind it. (It's not carpal tunnel, just chronic tendonitis.) I'm mousing with the other hand now, a little awkwardly, but it would be so great to get the use of my right thumb back.

Maryn, whose thumb has sucked (haha) since last summer

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
My advice is to kill that effing mouse.

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
quack, quack, welcome back! We have tried to be less syrupy in your absence. Pandora says plantains should be sliced lengthwise, although I doubt Evelyn's character on her erotica SYW would care for that.
I posted a link on AW Roundtable from this morning's Seattle Times: the paper is going after Amazon and digging up some dirt.
Towel boys are thinking about workplace harassment complaints.
Other than that, pretty syrupy.
Trevor, wanting to write SF where the sun shines (Mercury, maybe)

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
quack, quack, welcome back! We have tried to be less syrupy in your absence.
I didn't look, but perhaps there's a board for kids' rhymes. In the meantime, I'm still wondering just who "we" is. Got petitions?

EDIT: How's Whidbey Island these days? Loved it when I was there, except for the base.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
The gypsy horse was a Gypsy Vanner. They're quite distinctive.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, everybody. I'm far less bitchy after a night's sleep.

Maryn, who will now be nice, you just see if she isn't!

pandora1983

Jill of all trades,well,some trades
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetravelpaige.blogspot.com
Hi Maryn
Glad to see ya. Sorry about the hand. My sister had to have surgery on her right hand because of tendonitis. She works in an office all day.
I'm excited to share that communications are improving between me and the other nannies. Everything was stilted and difficult to break the ice at the beginning and then I got typhus...
but now we are hanging out more and I guess you could call our communications conversing.
I am learning more Thai and Mandarin and employing google translate for the longer phrases.
funny story

Today, Ja Ying (Chinese Nanny) was trying to tell me something so we were testing the 'speak and translate' option on the google translate app on my iPod. It kept coming up with the wrong words and she was getting frustrated. About the fourth time that she spoke into the mic, this is the translation that came back...
"Generally willing to marry me"
We both busted out laughing so hard we were crying.
Classic!
She was actually trying to tell me about dinner but a marriage proposal..wow :D

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Funny story, Pan, thanks for sharing. I had this image of multilingual dinners with a google translator on the table, and next to it, the salt. For google translations have to be taken with a grain of salt!
Hey, folks, today I went with a group up to a migratory bird refuge in B.C., at the mouth of the Fraser River. I'm no birder but saw some fine looking birds. Canada geese, wood ducks, mallards. and--special because it is rare they winter here in such numbers, great snowy owls. The snow geese were still there in great numbers, too. That's why I post this on a book-loving site, I got to thinking about The Snow Goose, Paul Gallico's short story that was in all the high school English lit books back in the day. I wonder if it is still in high school English books or is slipping into period piece-ness. The adult snow geese are all white with black wingtips and look very nice. They and the owls all fly up to the Arctic soon.
I took some pix which went on this computer on Windows Photo Gallery. Tried to use Insert Image to put one in here. That button says to me "Please insert the URL of your image" and pops open the rectangle that begins http: Now, I put pix in email, in Facebook posts, in Blogger posts, and the app always says Browse which lets me navigate to Windows Pictures where my .jpg files are. I have never had to save a picture as something with a web address.
If I could figure this out, I am likely to post a picture of ducks of a certain age. Who read The Snow Goose in high school.
Trevor, technology-challenged again (how many times? don't ask)

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Pandora, I hate when that happens.
And I've encountered plantains sliced across to make plantain chips (like potato/banana chips. Yummy!), though you do get good mileage out of 'em when you slice them lengthwise. And no, I'm not comparing their size against ordinary, average bananas...

Yes, it is late. 'Cause I'm on vacation, dammit.

peydob

Banned
Reaction score
Funny story, Pan, thanks for sharing. I had this image of multilingual dinners with a google translator on the table, and next to it, the salt. For google translations have to be taken with a grain of salt!
Hey, folks, today I went with a group up to a migratory bird refuge in B.C., at the mouth of the Fraser River. I'm no birder but saw some fine looking birds. Canada geese, wood ducks, mallards. and--special because it is rare they winter here in such numbers, great snowy owls. The snow geese were still there in great numbers, too. That's why I post this on a book-loving site, I got to thinking about The Snow Goose, Paul Gallico's short story that was in all the high school English lit books back in the day. I wonder if it is still in high school English books or is slipping into period piece-ness. The adult snow geese are all white with black wingtips and look very nice. They and the owls all fly up to the Arctic soon.
I took some pix which went on this computer on Windows Photo Gallery. Tried to use Insert Image to put one in here. That button says to me "Please insert the URL of your image" and pops open the rectangle that begins http: Now, I put pix in email, in Facebook posts, in Blogger posts, and the app always says Browse which lets me navigate to Windows Pictures where my .jpg files are. I have never had to save a picture as something with a web address.
If I could figure this out, I am likely to post a picture of ducks of a certain age. Who read The Snow Goose in high school.
Trevor, technology-challenged again (how many times? don't ask)

Try this. If you get in trouble let me know.

[FONT=&quot]Upload your photos to: http://tinypic.com[/FONT]

bcv47.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.