• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Scovil Galen Ghosh (formerly Scovil Chichak Galen)

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Ok, thanks. was looking for something up to date on Anna Ghosh. She seems to have at least a moderate interest in lyrical, moving memoirs...
CB

I'm looking at recent google results and I don't see much. I don't think Anna is leaving much of an Internet trail.

Here's a bit:

From here:

Anna Ghosh has been named partner at the Scovil Chichak Galen Literary Agency. Ghosh is a longtime senior agent at the agency which has now been renamed Scovil Galen Ghosh Literary Agency.

She's named as Mark Engler's agent here and named as Kristen Britain's agent here.

Plus a couple of conferences (here and here).

Also, looks like she made it into John Kremer's (unreliable) Self-Publishing Hall of Fame by helping an author sell a previously self-published book to a legitimate publisher. The details on that would need researching since John Kremer is so unreliable.

I searched for blog posts about her, but came up with supposedly no posts on livejournal.com and only one on blogspot.com, with google telling me "These terms only appear in links pointing to this page: anna ghosh"

I'm not really seeing much. Sorry. Some agents just don't leave a big online "paper trail."

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Anne has nine deals on PM for 2008, including a "good" deal to Free Press and a "major" deal to DAW.

bullzman23

Registered
Reaction score
Any idea if Anna Ghosh represents screenwriters? It'd appear as if she doesn't based on the website, but she apparently represents Sooni Taraporevla who wrote the screenplay for Namesake and also Mississippi Masala. The reason I ask, is because I'm finding it difficult to find script agents interested in the South Asian diaspora and obviously Ghosh would have some interest in it.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
When I wrote that bit in the not-a-FAQ about real agents leaving trails, I didn't think it was necessary to specify that someone who's been working as a senior agent under Jack Scovil and Russ Galen, and has just been made a full partner in the firm, is unquestionably a real agent.

Wonderlander

Bird In Flight
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted three months ago and heard nothing, changed the letter, resubmitted, and got a response in four hours (it was a no, but never mind).

I'm now bitten by the instant response bug though, so am considering hitting Donald Maas.

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Ann Behar? I see she's trying to build her client list in the YA department.

EzraHoliday

Agent of Chaos
Registered
Reaction score
I just had to toss this in here real quick.

I just sent Russ Galen my query letter not 25 minutes ago...

Dear Mr. Holiday,

I appreciate your contacting me, but the fact is that about three hours before I got this letter I agreed to take on a book with a slightly similar premise. I can't represent them both.

Sincerely,

Russ Galen

So while I'm crushed because he was literally my #1 pick? I'm flattered that he read my query letter and was kind enough to write me back so promptly. A+ Agent, but then we already knew that.

Mel A.

settling in with my red pen . . .
Registered
Reaction score
I just had to toss this in here real quick.

I just sent Russ Galen my query letter not 25 minutes ago...

Dear Mr. Holiday,

I appreciate your contacting me, but the fact is that about three hours before I got this letter I agreed to take on a book with a slightly similar premise. I can't represent them both.

Sincerely,

Russ Galen

So while I'm crushed because he was literally my #1 pick? I'm flattered that he read my query letter and was kind enough to write me back so promptly. A+ Agent, but then we already knew that.

That's too bad. But the good news is that it sounds like the subject of your work may be a hot property right now. Surely it will get picked up elsewhere!

EzraHoliday

Agent of Chaos
Registered
Reaction score
That's too bad. But the good news is that it sounds like the subject of your work may be a hot property right now. Surely it will get picked up elsewhere!

That's what I'm hoping. If Russ is taking on a project like that, it might be a new trend or at least be of interest for houses atm.

*crosses fingers*

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
How long do you want to wait? I queried them by mail on August 24, 08. I have not seen my SASE or an email that I included in my query. That begs a question. How long should we wait until we give up hope on an agent who does not reply?

I give them 6-8 weeks, then tag them as rejections. Just a personal thing, I guess.

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
I give them 6-8 weeks, then tag them as rejections. Just a personal thing, I guess.

I hear ya. I have 8 agents that if I don't hear from them by Friday it will have been 6 weeks and I will officially (in my head) give up on them. It's so sad.

At least with rejections I get that 5 seconds of hope between the time I see the email in my inbox, and I click on it to read "Thanks, etc., I'm sorry but, etc., good luck, etc...."

I guess if I ever do hear from them that'll be super exciting, right? Right?

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
I hear ya. I have 8 agents that if I don't hear from them by Friday it will have been 6 weeks and I will officially (in my head) give up on them. It's so sad.

At least with rejections I get that 5 seconds of hope between the time I see the email in my inbox, and I click on it to read "Thanks, etc., I'm sorry but, etc., good luck, etc...."

I guess if I ever do hear from them that'll be super exciting, right? Right?

Gosh, I would think so! I have a full and a partial out right now and it's almost time for both deadlines to be up. I try not to think about it! :e2cry:

socact

Registered
Reaction score
I got a same-day request for a full from Russell Galen today (5/8) - really excited! I didn't send him any sample pages, and I haven't queried anyone else with this ms, so I have no idea how the first few pages will be received. Well, I guess I'll give it my best shot.

It's SF, in case anyone is curious.

socact

Registered
Reaction score
I've queried about 10 agents so far, so not too many. Is it standard to query upwards of 100 agents for science fiction? I'm very unfamiliar with the genre - it isn't what I usually write. This ms is actually a cross between SF/romance/literary, but I categorized this submission as SF, because it's what Mr. Galen represents.

Not sure if that helps...

dragonmedley

Inconsistent AWer
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Galen, but he turned me down because I don't have anything published in magazines. He said that for a new SF writer, some sort of track record would be necessary. Maybe he just wasn't interested in the story...

dragonmedley

Inconsistent AWer
Registered
Reaction score
I think that you are lucky he responded at all. He did not respond to my query last August, and on his submissions page, there is the quote "If we're interested, we'll email you an invitation...".

Initially, I queried him beginning of January. 3 months later, I piped up and asked if maybe the email got lost in cyberspace. That's when he responded and asked me to resubmit - an hour later, the dreaded rejection came. Maybe you could poke...

Epiphany

Don't kill the bar, Dude.
Registered
Reaction score
I received a personal rejection letter from Mr. Galen the same day that I sent out a query. He remarked that my query sounded comic-bookie and like an X-Men story so he wasn't interested. I laughed to the point of tears and showed the letter to a couple of my friends and family, who were all astonished at how the heck he came to that conclusion from my query. However, I appreciate his upfront honesty and the fact that he was willing to take the time to personalize the rejection.

Did he personalize anyone else's rejection?

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Still waiting on one. But it's only been a week.

dragonmedley

Inconsistent AWer
Registered
Reaction score
I received a personal rejection letter from Mr. Galen the same day that I sent out a query. He remarked that my query sounded comic-bookie and like an X-Men story so he wasn't interested. I laughed to the point of tears and showed the letter to a couple of my friends and family, who were all astonished at how the heck he came to that conclusion from my query. However, I appreciate his upfront honesty and the fact that he was willing to take the time to personalize the rejection.

Did he personalize anyone else's rejection?

Mine, in a way. He said they would only take on a new SF writer with some sort of track record in magazines. It might have been a form rejection, I guess, as he didn't say anything about the actual query.

charlys

new author
Registered
Reaction score
Still waiting on one. But it's only been a week.

Hi, Sage,
I sent a query to Anna Ghosh 9/19/09. The site says if don't hear from them in 2 months they're not interested. I've still got almost 2 weeks to go. However, I'm not waiting on their answer and have sent out a lot more queries to otehr agents since then.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Trying to send an email query to Russell Galen.
I do not have his e-mail address.
The link on his web site will only start up (on my laptop) an install start up for Outlook, so, I am unable to actually SEE what his e-mail address is.

can anyone help me out with this?