Angry Robot Round II: Epic Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreambrewer

Registered
Reaction score
Wonder what they specifically mean with epic fantasy in this case. It is at the same time a very broad and a very narrow genre.

KaiaSonderby

The Little Aspie That Could
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aerodaydreams.livejournal.com
Hmm...I looked the guidelines over but I might have missed it (speed reader; it happens)...can you submit to both the epic fantasy open door and the YA open door?

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Hmm...I looked the guidelines over but I might have missed it (speed reader; it happens)...can you submit to both the epic fantasy open door and the YA open door?

Yes, if you have an adult epic fantasy and a YA novel ready to go. Just don't try and submit the same book to both :)

fdesrochers

Registered
Reaction score
Too bad about the "no submission of re-drafts" from last year's competition. I completed a slew of changes since then to tighten up the ms....

;francois

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
:hooray::hooray::hooray:

Now if only I had a MS ready....

ETA: I wish they were clearer about what "epic fantasy" they want. I have something that might fall closer to "political fantasy," but the consequences are "epic."

The YA guidelines say they don't want "contemporary," but what about "contemporary fantasy YA" or "contemporary SF YA."

Last edited:

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
My CP emailed me this morning as soon as that email went out. Like so many of you, I just don't know that the MS will be submission-ready by the deadline.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Pretty much. Only with a brain behind the hunger.

If I do any more work on it before April, and if my other genre stuff hasn't been repped yet, I might attempt. The beast is 140K.
And it won a 3rd place in a Del Rey Spectra contest last year.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so now we need to assemble the juicy details on Angry Robot, so anyone interested in submitting can head into the matter well-informed. I know Angry Robot is a very impressive small publisher, but does anyone know:

-- What their distribution is like?
-- What a new writer can expect in a contract with them?
-- Any other information that's relevant to a writer thinking of submitting to them?

In this post, they mention they will want all English language territory rights, that they likely will offer eBook and audio versions in addition to the print version, and that they offer both advances and royalties.

Their AW thread is here: [Publisher] Angry Robot Books

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annelyle.com
Okay, so now we need to assemble the juicy details on Angry Robot, so anyone interested in submitting can head into the matter well-informed. I know Angry Robot is a very impressive small publisher, but does anyone know:

-- What their distribution is like?
-- What a new writer can expect in a contract with them?
-- Any other information that's relevant to a writer thinking of submitting to them?

Their paperbacks are distributed to book stores in the UK and US, much like Big Six publications. I've seen at least a few of their books in the SFF section of every British book shop I've looked in.

Contracts seem pretty standard - rights revert if your book goes out of print or is no longer available to buy online, for example. Mine went through a top London agent, so there's certainly nothing dodgy lurking in there!

They're currently a very small outfit - two editors and a publicity guy - but very enthusiastic and friendly. The head honcho, Marc Gascoigne, has many years' experience in genre publishing in the UK, so although Angry Robot is the new kid on the block, it's head and shoulders above most of the little startups out there. Editorial standards are very high - my ms was cleaner than most, and it still went through a couple of rounds of proofing before it went off to the printers.

Did I mention that Marc won the World Fantasy Award last year in the "Special - Professional" category for his work on AR? Their authors and cover artists regularly win awards too...

As the entrants in the last Open Door discovered, they're not just looking for good books - they're looking for good books with an "Angry Robot" flavour, which is very hard to define but generally means something that's far enough off the beaten track to not be readily comparable to stuff that's out there, but not so interstitial that it's uncommercial. Epic fantasy is a new direction for them, and I expect they will want something a little bit different from the Wheel of Ice and Truth kind of stuff that the Big Six are putting out :)

In this post, they mention they will want all English language territory rights, that they likely will offer eBook and audio versions in addition to the print version, and that they offer both advances and royalties.

This is correct. All their books now come out simultaneously in the UK and US, in paperback and all popular ebook formats, with the audiobook following a few months later. Audiobooks are a new addition, so there aren't many of their backlist on audio, but new titles are all being recorded. E.g.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1455885347/?tag=absowrit-20 (mine isn't listed yet, but is under way)

Advances and royalties are pretty much what you'd expect as a debut SFF author - not enormous but certainly around the industry average.

Last edited:

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, can I knock out an epic fantasy in three months? Worth a shot...

NANOWRI-3-MO anyone?

They're currently a very small outfit - two editors and a publicity guy - but very enthusiastic and friendly...

Thanks for your detailed reply. I've often been advised to start with the big name publishes and work my way down. Now that you have signed up with AR (Congrats by the way) what do you feel the advantages are (for those who are lucky enough to have more than one option) of skipping the big-boys and going straight to AR?

hope you don't mind us picking your brain like this...

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annelyle.com
What I like about AR is that they really "get" the modern publishing landscape - they're not dithering about whether ebooks are the way forward, they're putting them out as standard. Not just Kindle and iBooks, either, but DRM-free ePubs so even those with older ereaders can buy and convert.

They're also not afraid to try new things, from annual subscriptions to collaborative projects that actually welcome fan contributions (fiction, art, etc), and they encourage their authors to engage with fans through social media, blog tours, etc. This makes for a hugely enthusiastic reader base, and also makes being an AR author a lot of fun!

In summary, you get most if not all of the benefits of being with a Big Six house, but with the friendliness of a small press.

DoomBunny

Meatbag
Registered
Reaction score
In summary, you get most if not all of the benefits of being with a Big Six house, but with the friendliness of a small press.

Plus, Marc Gascoigne is an old, old, old school pencil 'n' paper gamer & writer and I loved his stuff when I was a wee lad. :D

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Anne Lyle!

Angry Robot has certainly been pinging my radar as a very intriguing small publisher lately. I've got a manuscript that I think might be perfect for them...

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Now here's a challenge. I do have a YA SF novel (see sig) in a skeletal and not very satisfactory draft. Can I rewrite it to 60-90k, get it beta-ed revised and submitted all in three months? <takes deep breath>

Status
Not open for further replies.