Is This The Beginning of the End For Waterstone's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
One thing I am sad about is British Bookshops and Stationers has gone out of business and into administration this month. There is one next to a Waterstones in Abergavenny and this does not look good at all for their high street.
Really! Hadn't heard. We have one of those too, and I like them. They are in a prominent position at the entrance to the shopping centre so will be sadly missed.
WH Smith has piss poor quality in book titles. It's even more limited now than it used to be since they got rid of their DVD and focus mainly on cards, stationary and magazines.

Smith's never deigned to stock my books so they piss me off! ;)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
WH Smith has piss poor quality in book titles. It's even more limited now than it used to be since they got rid of their DVD and focus mainly on cards, stationary and magazines. They are more or less turning into Rymans.

Or, to put it another way, it's turning BACK into the newsagent it started out as? ;)

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Or, to put it another way, it's turning BACK into the newsagent it started out as? ;)

Possibly but it is a bit late to be doing so I'd think? it did become quite well known for being good with books for awhile they recently brought the Gadget Shop I see. I thought newsagents were a thing of the past and were resigned to being little shops on housing estates. =p

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
fireluxlou:
WH Smith has piss poor quality in book titles. It's even more limited now than it used to be since they got rid of their DVD and focus mainly on cards, stationary and magazines. They are more or less turning into Rymans.

WH Smith doesn't actually know what it wants to be. It's got post offices in their stores, they try flogging you chocolate at every cash till, they do books, DVDs, games etc etc etc. They're jack of all trades and master of none and they don't really have enough of any of their areas for me to want to go in and buy something from them.

MM

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
WH Smith doesn't actually know what it wants to be. They're jack of all trades and master of none and they don't really have enough of any of their areas for me to want to go in and buy something from them.

Same thing that killed off Woolies.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
[WH Smith]...don't really have enough of any of their areas for me to want to go in and buy something from them.

MM

I don't have a lot of choice in Aldershot. They are the only bookshop and the only DVD seller in town. They don't sell CDs any more (apart from a few stocking-filler type titles) which means that no-one does, as the second-hand record shop has closed.

Oh, and it has the post office inside its store and unless I'm lucky (as I was this last Saturday morning) you can expect to queue for the best part of half an hour.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Oh, and it has the post office inside its store and unless I'm lucky (as I was this last Saturday morning) you can expect to queue for the best part of half an hour.
*derail* if it's just stamps you need -- I've taken to buying them online, because even at our "real" post office the queues are terrible. /*derail*

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
*derail* if it's just stamps you need -- I've taken to buying them online, because even at our "real" post office the queues are terrible. /*derail*

I took to buying books of stamps in the supermarket years ago.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I buy books of stamps in Wilkinsons. Seeing as stamps are now about eight quid each, it gets pricey.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Wilkinson's I love it, the only place I can find that sells Mountain Dew. Stamps are pricey. I usually just head straight to the post office now.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
How many agents in the UK still want hard copy sub packages?

Luckily my PO has some of those automated machine thingies. Never any queue there. Just stamps I can buy at work.

As for British Bookshops and Stationers, did this come as a surprise for the company? They moved our local one two, three months ago. Not to a smaller place, either. If they thought they were going under or were in trouble, they wouldn't have gone to the expense, surely?

I wonder if the sudden demise of one of the competition will buoy up Waterstone's.

Last edited:

tirial

Registered
Reaction score
As for British Bookshops and Stationers, did this come as a surprise for the company? They moved our local one two, three months ago. Not to a smaller place, either. If they thought they were going under or were in trouble, they wouldn't have gone to the expense, surely?
Most of the press releases are blaming the weather for disastrous Christmas trading. Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumours that BBS might merge with The Works?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I took to buying books of stamps in the supermarket years ago.

Oh yes, I have those too -- but if you've got a bulky letter or package (full ms?) or bigger stuff for overseas, you can weigh it, buy the postage online, and print out your own label.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Most of the press releases are blaming the weather for disastrous Christmas trading. Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumours that BBS might merge with The Works?

Hmm - well in my town, the building they moved to was previously The Works, and they had a display of stuff they'd not previously sold. Maybe so in that case? Not sure.

I tried that once but couldn't get it to work.
You need a five year old. They can make anything work!

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, I have those too -- but if you've got a bulky letter or package (full ms?) or bigger stuff for overseas, you can weigh it, buy the postage online, and print out your own label.

Tell me about it. :D

As Idiots pointed out a lot of UK agents still want hardcopy. I'm unemployed at the mo, and the majority of jobs still want an application sent via snail mail.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
JimmyB27:
Haven't you guys heard of email?

I can't get it to accept the cuniform script that I use with my clay tablets ... :( Microsoft say it's an interface problem.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.