Status
Not open for further replies.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Snappy, resistance if futile. The Pit has taken over your own body even. But very happy it's treatable and you'll be up and swinging soon. And Hashimotos sounds so~ Japanese. I'm going to have to look that up.

Tri, Track Changes feels like a whole new language to me. I afraid to do anything lest I screw it all up. Or order something totally whacky from the menu.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Belated modest natal day, Steve.

{{{Snappy}}} But yay you know what's going on and you can do something about it.

Three query rejections today. Thank you, Monday.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
((snappy)

Guys, would you rather sell a standalone book first and go on to sell a series, or sell a series right off the bat? What if you sell a standalone, and it only does okay? Would you have to go under a pseudonym if you want to sell a series?

Lord, this is what happens when I submit to my agent...I start thinking all sorts of stuff...

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket)))

Roly, those are very theoretical questions! I'd love a two-book deal, a stand-alone and another book to be named, possibly a sequel or another stand-alone. I think the tendency to sell trilogies these days (which I don't write) is going to be a pit (not a Pit) that many debut writers will need to dig themselves out of.

On the other hand, a trilogy is more likely get a marketing push. But publishers still can't push them all.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket)))

Roly, I'd take any kind of book deal. But seriously, series scare the hell out of me. So much commitment, and I get bored way too easily. R, which is the one I'll probably be on sub with next, has an ending that is very much set up for a sequel, and it worries me. Don't know what I'd do or what sort of deal I'd want.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Ink, I read initially "probably be on sub with next WEEK." I wish!

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket))) *mixes up a fresh round of maggotinis*

Thanks for all of the luv. Relieved to have a result and something that can be treated.

Roly, I'd take any book deal. In urban fantasy and paranormal romance, series are fairly common. And since those are my genres, I'm open to it. In fact, the one that's with the agents now, I'd like to pitch as a series option.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Mornin', Pit

{{{Cricket}}}

LOL, DVI on you doing a series being a WIP Cougar. The only way you could do it is if the SNI was a really long book that you write and then, thereafter, split it up into 3 books.

Roly, caveat excluded that we all just want a deal, my answer is--it depends on the books. See, you may have a really epic/BIG 1 book idea that would work well for you as a standalone off the bat and then you can work in the series to continue career momentum.

On the other hand, if the standalone is not "huge" it may be best to get the series done first because that way you do the slow steady career build and the standalone looks bigger after that.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't checked in for a few days, but I wanted to thank everyone for the reppies!

And (((hugs))) for everyone who needs one...

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Feeling genuinely pittish today. Going to hang out under the couch. Shout if you need me.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Snappy))) Work? Health? Writing? The weight of it all? I'm sorry.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you pitizens. Just overall icky. I'm tired and cranky is all.

ETA: Yeah, Kellion. Combination of everything right now. Trying to be patient about it all, but it's not working for me.

Last edited:

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
(((Snappy)))

I just had an epiphany. If you don't have anything out there (on sub or with an agent) then you have nothing to fear. There's no anxiety, panic, impending feelings of doom.

As to Roly's question, I want one-book deals for my adult novels and multiple-book deals for my mid grades (under a pen name). And I want them all at once and I want the time to write them. But that would mean I'd have to send something to someone which would harsh my nice mellow. So I don't know...

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Snappy)))

Muted woohoo, Tri.

I want all those contracts too, Madder. But then I have to write all those books...

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
{{Cricket}}

{{Roly}}

{{Snappy}}

I quoted poetry in my novel, never dreaming I'd have to deal with pesky copyright issues. I guess I thought if I attributed the work to the author, and the author was dead...

Actually, what I was really thinking was: I'll never freaking get published, so why worry about it?

So now I'm scrambling to find public domain poets...

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
What a hassle, Cat! But better than paying for clearances.

Last edited:

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Cat, what a pain. I have a whole bunch of copyrighted song lyrics in ALP. See how worried I am about needing permissions? :roll:

Have a ton of work to do before I leave on vacation Friday, but am supposed to sit through a 3-hour training this morning on information that I don't need to do my job. So frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.