Barry Eisler Walks Away From $500,000 Deal to Self-Pub

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
No one is saying that it's not possible, but we are saying that it's highly, highly unlikley for most self published writers and to say it is is misleading. [\QUOTE]

So we've moved from "typical" to "most"...neither were EVER the issue. Regardless of whether you persue self or legacy publishing this is what we can say about "most"
  • Most writers won't get published in ANY form.
  • Most writers won't ever make a living wage writing.
I'm not concerned with "most" or "typical" - I'm speaking to those that "have the right stuff". (talent, skill, perseverence) the ones that WILL be published (by definition not most).

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Zombies prefer self-publishing, as most trad publishers won't consider a 500,000 word MS consisting entirely of "Braaaaaaaains, ugh mumph, braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiinsssss..."
You know all the zombies out there would be lining up for a book like that! The agent/editor who passes on such genius is blind.

Why don't we have a zombie smiley? I'll go with this guy :e2bouncey and pretend his agility is the result of anti-gravity forces on his invading spaceship. It's coming to Earth.

Ava Glass

Registered
Reaction score
For the following people....

A writer who wants to make a "living wage" and has talent and skill and the ability to put out a good book.

With a good cover. That part is so important. I'm amazed at how many trad and indie covers fail the thumbnail test, especially the kindle greyscale thumbnail test. The thumbnail is a buyer's first impression. It is the eyecatcher.

Trad writers, to varying degrees, have bookstores, promotions and reviews to fall back on if the thumbnail doesn't look good, but the self-pubbed have it much harder. Much more important for them to catch eyes and convey their product's story and genre in an instant.

Whenever I hear of self-pubbed writers doing well or poorly, the first thing I do is look at their covers. Victorine Lieske has a good thumbnail. She studied graphic design and made her cover in Illustrator. I have no doubt it contributed to her success along with her low price.

Last edited:

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
I'm curious, can you please explain how a new, unpublished writer knows they can "pass a gatekeeper" without first going through the entire process of querying and acceptance to a publisher?

By selling a lot of books. The readers provide the validation that a book has commercial value. You have two choices to get the validation.

a) submit queries to agents and submit to publishers - which I submit is usually a VERY long process.

or

b) self publish and let the market decide

If your book is no good - you'll not "win" in either path. If your book "is good" you'll make some good - and sometimes VERY good money. PLUS if you still want to go traditional you can leverage that success into a deal.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
Then it goes back to the majority of success stories in self-publishing coming from people who have previously established themselves in traditional publishing. So again, quoting pie in the sky possible numbers is not helpful to the vast majority.

But this is the point of contention. While there are "some" who have established themselves my point is there are also many others who have started without that. 12 months ago it was "pie int he sky". Since Nov 2010 it is happening more than most people (especially those here) seem to realize so I was trying to point out that authors now have TWO viable paths to a living wage.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I was going to comment again, but it seems we are walking in circles and have gone way off track.

I believe this thread is a testament to new writers about being careful of advice offered by so-called experts.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
I think though Robin, that your posts are a bit skewed (which is probably natural, considering but doesn't really help matters). It's possible yes. But it's just as (probably more at the current time though it may change) possible with trad publishing too, the amount of stuff out there (plenty of which is sub standard, but still has to be sifted) which has to be sifted through by readers and other pitfalls and stumbling blocks which you aren't really acknowledging. Though to be sure trad publishing has those, and they are often discussed here.

Nice some headway :). Now that we can believe possible. Let's go to the next level. Which is....which path is more PROBABLE to producing a living wage? I think we can all agree that Michael (my husband) is not an outlier like Amanda Hocking or John Locke. He's never been on the Amazon Top 100 (though he got close at 102 for a few hours). He took a six-figure contract and I predict we'll lose $100,000 - $200,000 by doing so. But there are other thigns we want more than just money wo we're willing to take the cut as it were.

It's all changing, for sure. But Eisler aside, I can't see any reason for me to go self publishing over trad publishing. I know of many more people who make a decent income from publishing with an established publisher (large or small, e-first or print only) than you have listed as doing that well in self-pubbing. I know more in one genre than you have listed. And most of them haven't had to do anywhere near as much work promoting etc (though I expect they did their share).

And I so don't want you to -- if traditional is right for you - then perfect. We obviously circulate with different people. You know "many" doing better with trad. publishing. I know "many" who do well with self publising. So can we agree that that both options have value?

So it's changing, yes. None of us can see the future, but at present, going with an actual publishing house makes more for financial sense for the majority of writers (from what I can see anyway. I may be biased in the opposite direction :D). [\QUOTE]

We'll just have to agree to disagree ont his one. Although I would love to share and compare numbers...something that few authors do.

So when I said I wanted a balanced post (for my blog or heck just to read, cos I haven't seen one yet!), what I meant is someone who has no finger in either pie, or no agenda to push but someone who can dispassionately sift the facts from all sides. Which isn't going to be me because me and reality don't talk all that often. :D But it isn't going to be anyone who pushes self-pubbing over anything else either. I want a post that doesn't push either, but merely presents accurate facts and statistics (as far as is possible) and leaves the reader of the article to decide.

Why don't you wait until I post it before you decide it will be biased...If then you want to poke at it - I say bring it on.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Since Nov 2010 it is happening more than most people (especially those here) seem to realize ....

Ms Sullivan, you keep using the Nov. 2010 date as if something magical happened on that date that suddenly opened the window to self publishing...

What is so special about that date...

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
He took a six-figure contract and I predict we'll lose $100,000 - $200,000 by doing so.

Yeahsureyoubetcha.

Meanwhile, Amanda Hocking is being shredded on her own blog for daring to take the deal with a publisher.

Fantasy money may be nice in theory but there are still bills to be paid and whatnot.

At least your husband seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I can only assume he's been berated for refusing to gamble more on self-publishing.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
Since Nov 2010 it is happening more than most people (especially those here) seem to realize ....

Ms Sullivan, you keep using the Nov. 2010 date as if something magical happened on that date that suddenly opened the window to self publishing...

What is so special about that date...

On kindle boards (as I mentioned) many people post their sales numbers. And before November 2010 they were all very "meh". Sure a few hundred here and a few hundred there but starting in Nov 2010 a VERY large number of people started posting numbers in the thousands...and tens of thosands. It wasn't just isolated to one "break out" it was "across the board". (For those already selling well).

There is no doubt that we were seeing a X-mas bubble that ran Nov - Feb). I suspect ebook readers were "big gifts" and many people "stocked up". But even so....there is still a lot of strength in those numbers.

At the "peak" January Michael sold 11,000+ books. March will finish out with about 5,000 - So a huge falling off but... even at 5,000 sales he is making $20,500 a month so a good six-figure wage.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Why don't you wait until I post it before you decide it will be biased...If then you want to poke at it - I say bring it on.

Okay, sure, I'll wait and see. But from your posts already it's fairly obvious you're pushing towards self-pubbing, your own trad publishing notwithstanding (and like I said, considering your husband's books, that probably only natural). I mean fair enough, you like self-pubbing. You think it's the next big thing. That doesn't mean I (or anyone else)should jump up and down singing hallelujah until it's shown that it's not just the odd one or few that can make a living at it, or that you don't have to spend x hours a day promoing so that you don;t sink among the crud and then you can't write any more because you don't have time.

I'd just like some plain ol' out in the open facts. From both sides would be tres cool. What % of self pubbers get 1000 sales a month? What % of trad pubbed authors get the same? Compare the amount of promo and sheer work they have to put in for those results. Really and truly compare apples with apples rather than extrapolations of what could/might/possibly be in the future we don't know yet so let's face it, it's a guess. Just for starters. Preferably by an impartial statistician but I can't see that happening any time soon :D

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We seem to have devolved into a personal debate. Feel free to discuss the specifics of Ridan in their thread in B&BC. If anyone wants to discuss their self-pub experience in detail, you can start a thread in the self-pub forum.

Locking this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.