The absurdity of defining who's "real" and who's not

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Everybody wants to be part of the In crowd. And the cheapest and easiest way of doing that is to draw a tight little circle around yourself that excludes as many people as possible. And if you can convince others that the circle is important, you're in. Voila. Easy as pie.

The other extreme is to reject all value judgments as being irrelevant. All standards about anything are out the window as being exclusionist.

Of course, the really neat trick is to combine both of them at once.

"People like me, who are truly inclusive, are infinitely superior to those narrow-minded fools who only..." Happens all the time in politics.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Everybody wants to be part of the In crowd. And the cheapest and easiest way of doing that is to draw a tight little circle around yourself that excludes as many people as possible. And if you can convince others that the circle is important, you're in. Voila. Easy as pie.

The other extreme is to reject all value judgments as being irrelevant. All standards about anything are out the window as being exclusionist.

Of course, the really neat trick is to combine both of them at once.

"People like me, who are truly inclusive, are infinitely superior to those narrow-minded fools who only..." Happens all the time in politics.

Reminds me of a book my sister had which was titled "How to be a Non-Conformist."

:D

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Reminds me of a book my sister had which was titled "How to be a Non-Conformist."

:D

That is too funny! I knew a guy who was so proud of avoiding any music that was by "the establishment." I decided not to tell him that by using "the establishment" as a reference point for his choices, he wasn't exhibiting much independent thought.

Last edited:

Donkey

Registered
Reaction score
You try to get anything out of a fake jackass and see what you get.
What are you tryin' to say? Hmmm?

donkey-5.jpg

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
That is too funny! I knew a guy who was so proud of avoiding any music that was by "the establishment." I decided not to tell him that by using "the establishment" as a reference point for his choices, he wasn't exhibiting much independent thought.
Knee-jerk anti-conformism is just the mirror image of knee-jerk conformism and equally worthy of respect. Maybe less, because it often has a desire to hurt built in.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a REAL brunette. That's right. Now matter how, uh, silvery it might look. (Hint: some consider my hair color to be a bit premature.)

ETA: I live in a very small town where everybody knows your business (everybody who thinks they're are anybody, anyway). I got caught up in what I refer to that "plastic" lifestyle a while ago, and I'm glad to say I learned many valuable lessons. The most important of which is if you're comfortable with yourself, your choices and your ambitions people respect you even more. If you're trying to keep up or follow a crowd, you might as well be beige wallpaper. Stand out, people! Live your life! Dance in the rain!

Last edited:

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
And in regards to my previous comment about boobs...
I've been asked if mine are real.
My answer, "They're really mine." ;)

I can't imagine how many men on this board are dying to see a "real" picture of you, Krystal. Clothed, of course.

Last edited:

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I'm full solipsist. None of you is real.

Learned a new word today.

sol·ip·sism 1.Philosophy. the theory that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist. 2.extreme preoccupation with and indulgence of one's feelings, desires, etc.; egoistic self-absorption

Last edited:

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
;) Maybe I'll throw off my readers with it in my WIP.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. Your readers don't really exist.

*slumps shoulders and pouts, moaning why does Kevin always have to be so clever?*

Are you a "real" author because you've published a book, or because someone wants to read it?

To address Judg's comment about conformism versus anti-conformism, I agree. To shun something for the sake of non-conforming is to conform. The problem then lies with judging certain groups and subscribing to stereotypes. For people with little self-esteem but who need to feel important, it's easier to lump individuals into stereotypes. These people can't be bothered with what to them appears threatening. Their solace is in feeling superior.

But, no matter our motivations, we are all individualistic in some way. That's what makes us real underneath the veneer. It's those of us who are willing to expose our "real" persona to the world who I admire.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Stop! I was being serious. You get a tomato. :e2tomato: Mostly because I think it's a fun smilie.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
In the same vein, I'm confused by the gossip magazines who determine whether celebrities are caught doing normal or abnormal things, which they slyly call "not normal."

The photos on both ends are usually so mundane that I am suprised by what they deem abnormal.

They should visit my neighborhood if they want rampant abnormalities.

I live in a normal town, by the way.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Solipsist Poetry

This poem
doesn’t exist,
an overdrawn
account that once
held nothing

But if words should
appear here
they must only
be known in
my experience

And if you can
read them
they must not
make sense beyond
your experience

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, when people discuss their own body parts like that...that's the last thing I want to look at. I don't need any evidence, thanks.
I don't have "body" parts like that, remember. I'm a fishstick.

Here's a picture of me with an Important Movie Star:
00091h6r

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ben's new nickname - tater chunk. (Fish stick just doesn't have that zing.)