• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Killing Your Main Character - When Can You Do It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ride the Pen

Registered
Reaction score
The usual procedure is to establish one or two main characters and those characters must not be killed before the climax, because:

A. They drive the whole story, the plot would be like a "car without an engine" without them

B. Too much reading/writing work has gone into them, so the writer as well as the reader are too invested emotionally to give them up

C. Writers are not used to killing their protagonists. You don't do this. Just like making a dirty joke at your mom's birthday table, you just don't do it. Norms are norms.

D. It's too much work to re-structure the whole story; and it's pretty much a given the story would need a ton of re-structuring (maybe new goals for the other charaters, a new narrative focus, an unobstrusive shift and new focus for the plot, building up new main characters, etc, etc...)

So killing your protagonist is not only a lot of heartache, it's also a lot of work, because it means totally shifting dynamics. But if it hurts, that means you have probably created a really good character (or you are just too lazy to deal with all of the additional work, haha). A really good character you just killed yourself. Feels like murdering your favorite kitty, doesn't it?

IMO, killing protagonists and favorites is especially effective on TV shows, where the audience has been knowing them for a long time - for too long maybe, and it's time to shock the audience and subsequently introduce one or several new elements/situations. So the move is essentially useful in two ways. A lot of new toys to play with for the screenwriters.

While writing this post, I have to think of "Dexter" and "Breaking Bad", but maybe that's only because these are the only two shows I have watched recently. In "Breaking Bad", the "Gus Frings" character has a pretty prominent role, but I also think that this character doesn't work at all and once they kill him, the show becomes a lot better again.

Of course, when they shoot Hank a couple of episodes before the end, that's a big shocker too, because it's unexpected. Had they shot him in the last episode, it wouldn't have been half as exciting, because it would have been a lot more predictable (great sell-out of characters, just moments before the shop closes).

Generally, I'm all for the unconventional and more creative way: So kill whomever you want to, surprise your reader, stay fresh and dynamic - but kill them very, very artfully!

Any thoughts on this topic?

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Killing your main character? You do it too early, or as a gimmick, at your peril.

Other than that, if the MC's death in the finale fits the story- why not?

Last edited:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You do it when it's right for the story. It's up to you to figure out when that is.

Helpful, right? ;)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
TV is a completely different medium from novels. If you want to discover how other writers have handled a similar situation, stop watching TV and start reading books.

How does it work in BOOKS? Which books have you read that have killed off the main character and when in the novel did the author do it? Why did he do it, and did it work for the story?

For example, in The Lovely Bones the author kills off her main character at the beginning of the book, but that's because she spends the rest of the novel as a ghost, observing how her death affects those she loved. Does it work? Depends on who you ask.

SamCoulson

Registered
Reaction score
The real question comes down to relationships. Who does the reader have a relationship with? If your emotional anchor is set on one certain character, and you kill them without a way to pick up the pieces of the narrative (and reader), then you've lost something.

Neither Gus nor Hank are emotional anchors. But, while bringing up Breaking Bad, they actually had intended to end the first season with Jesse's death. And then used that death to drive Walt further into darkness... but, Jesse was, in many ways, the emotional anchor. We saw him struggle with what was going on around him. He was sympathetic (next to Walt at least). So they didn't kill him in the first season--because they needed him to continue to do exactly what he was doing: providing an emotional anchoring.

The lesson (as I see it?) Characters shouldn't be killed unless it makes sense. Both in the arch of the story, and in the structure of the narrative and the books relationship with the reader.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never killed the main protagonist, and doubt I ever will. I've never found a reason to do so, and killing him plays hell with having him become part of a series.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I've never killed the main protagonist, and doubt I ever will. I've never found a reason to do so, and killing him plays hell with having him become part of a series.

Well, he could always "undie." ;)

On the OP: Yeah, pretty much what has been said, in that a character should die when it makes sense in the story. Some books start with a death, then work backwards (or forwards, if the MC's a ghost/zombie/vampire/etc.) Some end with a death. Some die in the middle and jump to a new MC. (And some really should die, but become too lucrative a commodity to do away with.)

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
***SPOILER ALERT***

Hey, in Sixth Sense, the main character is dead before the story even starts.

Do it right ( and Sixth Sense did it right), and it can happen.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I don't find death fresh, surprising, dynamic, edgy or any other keywords like that. People die. There's nothing new about that idea. What I consider unique is what they do while they're alive. Death ends that potential.

Which means I don't like stories where characters constantly die. A few deaths fit, but if they're always dying, it means all the interest is sucked out of the story. (Noting I mean actual death, not undeath like being a ghost, zombie, resurrected, or anything else that means a character keeps on narrating.)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Broken for You has two protags. The elder one dies of the condition we know early on that she's got at the end of the book. Works real well.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
I think it is definitely a risky move, particularly when you kill the "main" character before the end of the book/series, as happens in Game of Thrones. I think it really depends on whether the character's role in the book is really over and if you have a strong enough cast of characters to keep things moving (another that did something similar, the anime/manga Death Note, was not able to pull this off as well as GoT).

Killing a character at the end is a whole different story, though again it should only happen when the character's role has come to a satisfying conclusion, because in fiction such things can happen.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I kill him regularly in my Fantasy trilogy. S'fun. Actually he also gets killed in my time travel novel.

I'm sensing a theme here.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Well, if your main character is the sole, plot-driving protagonist, killing them off before the end of the story might not work too well. Unless there's a clear passing of the torch. Some of those sweeping, family sagas do this--there will be a narrator or pov character who pulls the first half (or whatever) of the story, then he or she is killed and one of their kids takes over as the pov.

In modern epic fantasy, this issue is most often dealt with by having a whole stable of PoV characters. They're a bit like those feeder goldfish you can buy by the dozen at petstores. When you have a whole tank of them, you don't get as attached to any one or worry as much about the plot flatlining if one (or a half dozen, even) die.

[note] I like A Game of Thrones, but the deaths in it haven't rocked my world as much as they have some peoples'.

Last edited:

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I don't agree with most of your points. You're putting character deaths into a neat little box, and as writers we know the rules were made to be broken.

My story has two protags and one needs to die. If he didn't die, the plot of the story would be kaputz. The story wouldn't be meaningful. People would be like, "Why did I spend all that time reading that? It was pointless. Everyone just walked away at the end of the story without solving anything."

There are themes in my story that relate to the character death. The themes only make sense if he dies at the right time, in the right situation, by the right hand. He's not killed for dramatic effect - he's killed because of 1) plot reasons and 2) to highlight certain themes. Luckily, there's a strong female MC whose been sharing narration so the shift in narration isn't complicated or interrupting.

D. It's too much work to re-structure the whole story; and it's pretty much a given the story would need a ton of re-structuring (maybe new goals for the other charaters, a new narrative focus, an unobstrusive shift and new focus for the plot, building up new main characters, etc, etc...)

You say killing a MC is an enormous amount of work and I'm not a fan of that statement, mainly because writing about living character is an enormous amount of work. Not only that, but who are you to say it's "too much work"? If the author needs to write a story that way, then it needs to be written that way. There's only two ways to handle something like this: you step up to the plate, or you don't. The author needs to explore the story and find out what's needed. I'd be really disappointed if a bunch of authors started saying, "Oh yeah, well, I wrote the story that way because the other way was too much work."

If the story is done right, and if the author knew about the death from the beginning, s/he could build the story the right way so when the death comes, transitioning to other points of the story wouldn't be as dramatic as you're claiming it can be. Martin knew which characters would die in A Song of Fire and Ice, and when he got to that point, he was able to transition smoothly. The story didn't need to be re-structured because XYZ character died. Or because he thought it was too much work.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Pay It Forward Another movie reference, I know. But if you want to see how the death of a main character can play into a story, there are plenty of movies with it.

Armageddon, Space Cowboys. Hell, the show Desperate Housewives starts with a suicide, and the actor of that suicide is the narrator.

It's a lot of work over and above the creation of the character to begin with. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it. Just go in eyes wide open, and be prepared if it simply will not work.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Btw in the original post the examples you used were MAJOR characters, not MAIN characters. That is an entire world different.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
***SPOILER ALERT***

Hey, in Sixth Sense, the main character is dead before the story even starts.

Do it right ( and Sixth Sense did it right), and it can happen.

Yes, but he's a very lively dead person. He's still the main character, still stays with us throughout the story. Dying is a common plot when dead means still being alive.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Pay It Forward Another movie reference, I know. But if you want to see how the death of a main character can play into a story, there are plenty of movies with it.

Armageddon, Space Cowboys. Hell, the show Desperate Housewives starts with a suicide, and the actor of that suicide is the narrator.

It's a lot of work over and above the creation of the character to begin with. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it. Just go in eyes wide open, and be prepared if it simply will not work.

It worked very well in Armageddon, though it was, I thought, cliched and predictable. In Space Cowboys. the main protagonist stays alive. And we all knew Tommy Lee Jone's character was going to die heroically as soon as we learned he had cancer. Having main characters die is often good, but having the one, central protagonist die doesn't work nearly as well in most stories.

Last edited:

Tyler Silvaris

Master of the Shadowcloak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
I'm just going to comment on the major points you started with.

A. They drive the whole story, the plot would be like a "car without an engine" without them

If the entire plot is drive only by one or two main characters, then I feel like the story is already lacking. Characters are a part of the plot, but they should drive it. Does the Earth turn because I trudge through my work day and dream of being a successful author? No. Yes, it's a story that features my life, but the story is going to happen whether I'm still along for the ride or not. (Unless I take you all with me. Mwahahaha! ...sorry) There are tons of other elements like the world itself, theme, interactions, and of course... other characters. All of these can, and should, be able to propel a story well beyond the death of any character, even the main one.

B. Too much reading/writing work has gone into them, so the writer as well as the reader are too invested emotionally to give them up

Maybe I'm troubled, but these are the best characters to kill off, from a writer's stand point. If character death should only be done when it serves the purpose of the story, then killing one of the main characters to drive the story only makes sense, when it makes sense. If that makes any sense.

C. Writers are not used to killing their protagonists. You don't do this. Just like making a dirty joke at your mom's birthday table, you just don't do it. Norms are norms.

Wait! Those jokes are inappropriate? Someone should have a talk with my mother then, because she needs to stop those jokes.

None of this is true unless you killed off a character senselessly. Then, yes, you would need to scramble to figure out where the story is going in order to drive things forward...or decide not to kill the character. Again, if you are putting an element into a story, then it should clearly have already been considered as part of your overall plot. This is your creation. People shouldn't just come up dead. If they died and you don't know how, I suggest reading back over what you've written and figure out when you veered from the course of your story and then decide if you've stumbled on a path to a better story, or if you should put it in reverse and go back the way you were headed.

Any thoughts on this topic?

Nope. None whatsoever. :tongue

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm just going to comment on the major points you started with.

If the entire plot is drive only by one or two main characters, then I feel like the story is already lacking.

That would be the definition of a character-driven story. Character-driven stories are hardly lacking, as there are many fine examples of such across genres. A story isn't simply relating the turning of the world, but a specific sequence of events (a plot), which often comes about through the actions and choices of one or more character in a story.

Sometimes the death of a major character before the end of the story can be an important plot-driving element, but I think it works best if there's at least one other strong character (a co-protagonist, perhaps) to pick up the thread.

Characters are a part of the plot, but they should drive it.
I agree with this, assuming the story is character driven, but it seems to contradict what you said before and what you say after.

Does the Earth turn because I trudge through my work day and dream of being a successful author? No. Yes, it's a story that features my life, but the story is going to happen whether I'm still along for the ride or not.
Again, if the story is character driven, then the situation isn't analogous at all. And even classic plot-driven stories often have a character plugged into that plot who becomes very much a facet or aspect of it.

Whether or not you can kill a main character off before the end, really does depend on the story. If the character dying before the end of the story is part of what drives it, it won't require the restructuring of the story, obviously.

The question to the OP is why would you kill of the main character if doing so isn't organic to the plot and story? Do you have a new idea that you feel is even more powerful than what you envisioned originally? The only way to find out if this is true, I suppose, is to try writing it and see where it takes you. But if you have your heart set on your original plot, then just stick with it. There's no reason to kill off a main character unless it serves the story. Most of the time, we're telling the story about this particular person because they lived until the end and did something that was worthy of a story.

Last edited:

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Well, in the time-travel novel, the narrator is killed, but not while he's narrating. You can do this shit with time travel.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting for someone to bring a vampire example into this thread...

Ride the Pen

Registered
Reaction score
TV is a completely different medium from novels. If you want to discover how other writers have handled a similar situation, stop watching TV and start reading books.

How does it work in BOOKS? Which books have you read that have killed off the main character and when in the novel did the author do it? Why did he do it, and did it work for the story?

For example, in The Lovely Bones the author kills off her main character at the beginning of the book, but that's because she spends the rest of the novel as a ghost, observing how her death affects those she loved. Does it work? Depends on who you ask.

It would be interesting to investigate WHY TV is different from novels.

My first thought is that on TV, every episode works for itself and not everybody watches every single episode (what about the people who do though?). With books, every reader reads the entire thing.

The example with the ghost is obviously not relevant, because the character you describe still exists later on in the story, she is just "transformed" for our purposes. She is killed only in a biological/medical way, but not in a narrative way. Same thing goes for any vampires, zombies, etc.. mentioned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.