Utah Highschool Yearbook Photos Altered (Prudes using Photoshop)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
If there is going to be a specific dress code for yearbook pics, then that code should be enforced when the pics are taken. Don't meet the code? No pic taken, "photo not available" goes in the yearbook.

Simple stuff, really.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No it doesn't.

I live in Minneapolis where there is a large Somali population, and the women always have their heads covered. They never look disapprovingly at other women who do not have their heads covered. They understand that not everyone shares their religious beliefs, and they don't expect them to.

These images were not altered to protect anyone else's "freedom of religion."

This. People who are religiously or otherwise "uncomfortable" with tattoos, bare shoulders or cleavage should apply their spayshul morality to THEMSELVES and leave those who believe differently alone. This included leaving their photographs alone, because the real disrespect is in forcing a change on others. It's rude.

Your comfort is your responsibility, and if someone's appearance makes you comfortable you don't get to throw a tarp over them: you get to cast your delicate eyes elsewhere.

I don't even want to address the sexism inherent in declaring female torsos shameful.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Your comfort is your responsibility, and if someone's appearance makes you comfortable you don't get to throw a tarp over them: you get to cast your delicate eyes elsewhere.

Indeed. I do not think people in the US wish to emulate countries where they do throw a tarp over women's bodies.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
If there is going to be a specific dress code for yearbook pics, then that code should be enforced when the pics are taken. Don't meet the code? No pic taken, "photo not available" goes in the yearbook.

Simple stuff, really.

How dare you bring logic and foresight into this.

Hopefully, next year, the school will.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I have never heard a religious justification for school dress codes. Usually it's in the interest of "not distracting boys." The other one I've heard is that boys like to cut spaghetti strings with scissors, which I've never actually seen or heard of happening, which is something that rather should make the boy be severely punished.

So I guess their logic is that a girl with bare shoulders sitting right in front of them would cause fewer problems than actually being able to take the terribly lewd picture home for themselves.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I have never heard a religious justification for school dress codes. Usually it's in the interest of "not distracting boys." The other one I've heard is that boys like to cut spaghetti strings with scissors, which I've never actually seen or heard of happening, which is something that rather should make the boy be severely punished.

So I guess their logic is that a girl with bare shoulders sitting right in front of them would cause fewer problems than actually being able to take the terribly lewd picture home for themselves.

It is strange that so often the excuse of ill behavior of boys leads to restrictions on what girls are allowed to do.

Perhaps a better solution might be to focus on the misbehavior of the boys and enforce their civilized behavior, rather than demanding that the girls shoulder the responsibility for the boys' behavior.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
How dare you bring logic and foresight into this.

Hopefully, next year, the school will.

Aren't most senior portraits taken outside of school though? (At least here, most people have them done with a professional photographer). I suppose you could still pass send kids with a do's and don'ts sheet, but still, rather subjective. (and completely unnecessary IMO)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
No it doesn't.

I live in Minneapolis where there is a large Somali population, and the women always have their heads covered. They never look disapprovingly at other women who do not have their heads covered. They understand that not everyone shares their religious beliefs, and they don't expect them to.

These images were not altered to protect anyone else's "freedom of religion."
I think that IS the difference here, rather than Once's claim that this is Mormons' freedom of religion.

The Mormons are in the majority in Utah, and so they have a lot more social power than the Somalis in Minneapolis. They DON'T CARE that others (the minority in Utah) don't share their religious beliefs. If the Mormons see non-Mormons doing something that's improper by Mormon standards, they have the power to do something about it (at least until something happens to go against it, such as this news story going viral), and in this case they did (though in an inconsistent and backhanded way).

In this sense the Mormons covering up (others') bare shoulders and such is a lack of respect for the minority. It would be like the majority in Minneapolis forcing Somali women to uncover their heads.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Aren't most senior portraits taken outside of school though?
This certainly wasn't the case for me in high school. Is it now? I have no idea.

Regardless, I think the school's actions were waaaay over the line. Seriously, I think some people should lose their jobs for basically manufacturing pictures. That's propaganda, plain and simple, and it should not be tolerated.

raburrell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Maybe it's a regional thing - we did in HS, and that was mumblefurf years ago. And just got a graduation announcement for a friend's kid which looked like a professional sitting.

But yeah, what you said for the rest of it.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
But even if people are getting portraits done outside of the school, the solution is the same: the school provides a specific dress code for the pics. People who bring in pics that do not follow the code don't get their pics in the yearbook.

raburrell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Yes, that'd work - pretty much what I suggested above. (Although as these threads tend to point out, dress codes are often suggestive and it puts those who didn't write them in a position of having to interpret them.)

From the sounds of it, if the students were made aware of this dress code at all, it wasn't communicated very well. Or perhaps decided on after the fact.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Story from Christian Science Monitor:
‘Shoulder-shaming’ girls at Utah high school: Why the big coverup?
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Societ...at-Utah-high-school-Why-the-big-coverup-video
This article discusses the details, but also generalizes the story into a trend:
The decision by administrators at Wasatch High School in Utah to add Photoshopped clothing to cover bare clavicles and shoulders in the yearbook photos of at least seven girls is at least in part a story about how rapidly changing mores around dress, sexuality, and body adornment are confounding US school officials.

To be sure, the decision to alter the pictures has put the school in the spotlight for what some critics have called “shoulder-shaming” and misogyny, especially since no male pictures were altered. Photos of student athletes and cheerleaders that showed more than the permitted amount of skin also were not altered.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Are sleeveless tops/dresses and low necklines against the school dress code? It doesn't sound like it, since the girls had been dressing like this all year without reprimand. But they altered some of the photos but not others where students were dressed similarly to how they'd dressed all year.

It's possible some people were being picked on, but it's more likely that they simply had different people going over piles of pictures and interpreting the policy in their own ways, hence the inconsistent results. Hopefully, they learned their lesson here.

I don't remember this being an issue back in the pre-photoshop days. Then, if someone was dressed inappropriately for school pictures, they'd have told the person at the time and possibly provided a shirt or jacket or something to put on over.

And boy, those bare clavicles! Very, very provocative.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
But even if people are getting portraits done outside of the school, the solution is the same: the school provides a specific dress code for the pics. People who bring in pics that do not follow the code don't get their pics in the yearbook.

Yes, if the school altered photos that private photographers had taken, they would all be royally pissed. You don't just go up and paint on someone else's painting. If the school hired the photographer, s/he might have known what they planned to do, but I do wonder.