Not open for further replies.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
My new printer (which I love because it just spits out MS in no time) got me to thinking--what's the best "extra" that you invested in your career as a writer? Not necessary things, like time and stamps, but stuff like a "Requested Materials" stamp or new software and the like...

My laptop. Hands down.

I told my husband that I wanted a laptop so I could take my writing anywhere, work on it whenever, etc. We ordered it from Dell that night, I got it a week or so later, and I've been majorly productive ever since. I take it to restaurants with me all the time, I took it to the beach once, and I take it when I travel.

I. Love. My. Laptop.

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
Before I got the mobilepro, I'd have to say the USB drive was my favorite gadget, too. It just seemed so cool to have your creative work all right there in your pocket. And I have this cool little metal case for my drive...man, that thing is sweet...

But gmail is great. I wrote many a chapter at work in an email to myself before google docs came about.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Best extra? I'd have to say my laptop. I much, much, much prefer typing, so my laptop gets a lot of use, especially when it's nice out and I can sit out back and write.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
First, a 250 GB external hard drive. Close second, sometimes even first itself, a subscription to satellite radio in the family vehicle, which provides, at no extra charge, endless music through my computer speakers in whatever style my mood calls for at the moment.

freshpencils

Registered
Reaction score
But google docs isn't secure, right?

I'd never heard of those flash drives before - I think I'll ask for one for my birthday. (I don't even have a CD burner. I'm a very poor writer right now!)

Julian Black

Will Read Slush for Food.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianblack.blogspot.com
The best extra I've ever bought? An Aeron desk chair. It's a lot easier to keep my butt in-chair when the chair is comfortable, and this one is perfect. I've had it for four years now, and still love it.

My other extra, for when I'm doing hand-written drafts, is Crane's Thesis Paper, which has a wonderfully smooth, vellum-like surface. It's a pleasure to write on, and it's amazing what a difference the right paper can make. I swear the smooth surface helps reduce the fatigue in my hand when I'm writing a lot.

Last edited:

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
But google docs isn't secure, right?

I'd never heard of those flash drives before - I think I'll ask for one for my birthday. (I don't even have a CD burner. I'm a very poor writer right now!)

If you only need it to hold a few documents, you can buy thumb drives online for literally less than a dollar. Check Amazon, ebay, or electronics stores. The cheap ones will be probably be somewhere between 32mb and 512mb.

Of course, they also have 128 gigabyte flash drives for $2,800 but you probably don't need that ;)

Kristin Landon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinlandon.com
Oooh, I should have listed my Aeron, too, Julian. I bought it when I had a scary run-in with wrist pain and decided (with my husband's urging) to invest in ergonomics to save my livelihood. With that and a really adjustable keyboard tray plus wrist rest, I have had no more problems. And it's so comfortable, it doesn't even feel like a work chair. It was soooo worth it.

imagoodgurl4

Attack!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also have to say my 1GB flash drive. Great toy...I mean tool. I'm also an architecture student, so it's great for backing up my work. CD's sometimes take too long to burn but the flash drive only takes a few seconds.

I'd also have to say any book I've bought about writing. They're incredibly useful tools, because they help improve my writing. Like Orson Scott Card's book on characterization. Excellent read.

Codger

Registered
Reaction score
I love my AlphaSmart

It's just a simple word processor, but I use it every time I want to write away from my office. (Every day) Unlike a laptop, it has no other software distractions. It is a perfect tool for me.

Kay_XX

Registered
Reaction score
My laptop, by far. I couldn't even be bothered to write if I had to do it on the PC.

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
laptop. USB anf the tonnes of books I read.
And yes AW for teaching me so much.
Now what is a Mobile pro?

IrishScribbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coffee-stainedwriter.blogspot.com
I. Love. My. Laptop.

I love mine, too. My fiance tried to convince me to get a desktop because we're going to be in an apartment soon, and he figured with me writing full time, I could work in the office space and not worry about taking the work with me, but I like the mobility of the laptop. I can sit on the couch and work, or at the kitchen table (where there's better light), or I can go to Starbucks and sip an espresso macchiato while I work on character bios. I don't feel limited, which makes me feel more creative.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Extra

A leather, executive style office chair with a head rest and a foot rest. If I'm going to practice BIC, I want to do so comfortably.

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
Most definitely my laptop. Within a single writing or editing session, it usually migrates with me to more than one room of my house. It's been to a couple different countries, numerous coffee shops, and to the beach and the mountains. I can't imagine writing on anything else.

I just wish my wireless card wasn't so good at picking up signals whenever I'm out and about. I love wi-fi, but when I'm trying to write I have to pretend that I've never heard of it.

Kristin Landon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinlandon.com
I'm dreaming of a laptop, but with three kids heading off to college in the next few years any laptops that we might buy are spoken for. I write on my work computer, a desktop, with email and everything up, and it's a lot more distracting than I'd like. As an example, here I am, despite my deadline.

<vanishes in a cloud of belated virtue>

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I love mine, too. My fiance tried to convince me to get a desktop because we're going to be in an apartment soon, and he figured with me writing full time, I could work in the office space and not worry about taking the work with me, but I like the mobility of the laptop. I can sit on the couch and work, or at the kitchen table (where there's better light), or I can go to Starbucks and sip an espresso macchiato while I work on character bios. I don't feel limited, which makes me feel more creative.

I always insisted on a desktop because I thought a laptop would be too much of a pain, at risk of being stolen if I took it someplace, etc.

Now I stand very much corrected. I LOVE my laptop....especially when I can play on AW while I'm watching "House", and then get some writing done without taking my feet off the yoga ball that serves as my ottoman. :D

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
Laptop and flash drive, in that order. Following that, the blank books (bound, with fake leather covers...for that vanity thing) I use for taking notes on settings, plots, and changes during revisions. I've got one for research, two for my settings and plots, and one (set to expand) for revision notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.