Beta Readers/Crit Requests

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a 2,300 word almost horror story about a creature in the woods that I could really use another pair of eyes on. I just want it to be tighter and scarier all around. Anybody willing to give it a read?

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
I'll give it a try, though again, I'm not sure how much help I can be. PM me or send it to emptyeye (AT) emptyeye (PERIOD) com .

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
So, I've a 7,000 word epic fantasy monstrosity that's taken me longer to write than my NaNo novels did. I'm... still not sure it makes any sense whatsoever. But I am sure that I'm making it sound damn attractive to read, no? Anyway, I'd really appreciate betas for this one, and would certainly be willing to beta in return.

Last edited:

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Nathaniel, what kind of turnaround time are you looking for? I don't have a lot of reading time right now, but I can take a look if you still need someone.

And: anyone want to take a look at a fairy tale (~1200 words) before the sub window opens?

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Within a week or two would be fine.

I have near no free time today, but would certainly like to read a fairy tale tomorrow - though, fair warning, I can't exactly call myself a fairy tale expert.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
So I got a ~1,300-word tale aimed to be Lovecraftian horror -- but without using cthulhu mythos. What I'm trying for is the Lovecraft flavor, so I need a critter or two who are familiar with Lovecraft and can determine if it does or does not have that flavor.

Turnaround time is about a day (yeah, sorry), but I'll happy to return the favor, either now or in the future.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a huge Lovecraft fan, so feel free to send it my way. Email's nskteh [at] gmail [dot] com.

Opinionated Ant

I walk into things
Registered
Reaction score
not familiar with lovecraft flavor so can't help with that one but am with fairy tales. annie did you still need a reader? Nathaniel, I'll check it out if you still need too.

Don't know how helpful I'll be though!

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Sent you a crit, defcon. Hopefully, it's some use.

@Ant: I'm probably good now, but thank you very much for offering. Don't worry, I'll totally abuse your generosity on some future date, with some future tale :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I haz horror story, about 1,600 words, that needs some fresh eyes (I would post on SYW board, but I already have a piece up, plus the horror board is a wee bit dead). It's conversational/informal tone, psychological/supernatural?

Turnaround time about a week. I want to sub it to Shock Totem before they close their doors. I'll be happy to exchange crits. :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Yay for fresh eyes! Thanks guys. :)

Oh, and I critted your story Tori. If you want me to do a LBL, I can.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone has the time/energy, I need one more pair of eyes on a 5,000 word horror/sci fi piece about people who see dead people. No LBL, just some general questions about what works and what doesn't work.

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
I have a 1500-or-so word horror piece that I'd like some others to take a look at. It centers around an exorcism where the priest isn't who he seems. I'm concerned about the ending in particular, as this was the story that I had the issue I've talked about the last couple posts on the Check-in Lounge.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, so bear with me. I have a 4,800 word dark fantasy I could use some eyes on. I've edited and reedited it hundreds of times, and now I think I'm just shifting things around without actually improving it. It's very light on violence and gore, focused more on the psychological effects of fear on the protagonist. It's set in a post apocalyptic world, some two-hundred years in the future. And I'm looking for complete criticisms up to and including "scrap it and start anew." Would love if you even would want to read small sections of 1000 or less words! PM me if interested!

Also, I tried reading some of the short stories others have posted and it says it needs a special password. Am I too new or do I need to register somehow to get into the club? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, so bear with me. I have a 4,800 word dark fantasy I could use some eyes on. I've edited and reedited it hundreds of times, and now I think I'm just shifting things around without actually improving it. It's very light on violence and gore, focused more on the psychological effects of fear on the protagonist. It's set in a post apocalyptic world, some two-hundred years in the future.

Also, I tried reading some of the short stories others have posted and it says it needs a special password. Am I too new or do I need to register somehow to get into the club? Thanks in advance!
Izatright, the password for the SYW forums is 'Vista'. Once you have 50 posts, you'll be able to start threads in the SYW forums, but you can still comment on stories before then. :)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Izatright, the password for the SYW forums is 'Vista'. Once you have 50 posts, you'll be able to start threads in the SYW forums, but you can still comment on stories before then. :)
Thanks for the info! I plan to check out some of the stories right now. :D