Beta Readers/Crit Requests

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
Any chance anyone could beta a 2K fantasy by Wednesday morning? Willing to swap for similar size. I'll try any genre, but horror is not my cup of tea so be forewarned.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
As I posted yesterday in Middling It, I received a rewrite request on a new story/new sub. It's a fluffy, 500-word piece specifically written for the GRE Dirty Words submission. As it was a short and light piece, only going to one market, I didn't run it by betas as I normally do. Lesson learned. The editor's comments were right on, but she thinks it could be a fit with the changes suggested.
Anyone have time to check my revision before I send it back? I'd like to get this back to her as soon as I can.
(BTW - this is a different story than the flash piece I contacted a couple of people about yesterday before this re-write request came in.)

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Anyone interested in looking over a 1,450 magic realism piece titled "The Song of the Rose?"

fihr gave me great feedback on this already - would like to see how it plays out now with the edits.

Thanks!

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
So, I'm easing back into the W1S1 groove again this year. I have a 4,500 word story I could use some feedback on. I will happily read for someone else in return!

Please keep in mind my genre (horror) when raising your hand, though. This one isn't intended to scare you, but it is intended to make you uncomfortable. (God, I hope it makes you uncomfortable. Otherwise I'm doing it wrong :rolleyes: :tongue)

Currently titled Deeds of the Body, but not settled on that yet.

Anyone interested in looking over a 1,450 magic realism piece titled "The Song of the Rose?"
If you're still looking, renard, I'll give it a go.

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anybody would consider looking at a rather long literary-style story (7000+ words). It's a lot to ask, I know.

Filled it!

Last edited:

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm wondering if anybody would consider looking at a rather long literary-style story (7000+ words). It's a lot to ask, I know.

At this point I'm wondering about Big Picture stuff: sections or themes that could be cut; making sense, etc., and therefore would ask a reader to be less concerned/open-minded about some unorthodox grammar (and resist the urge to fix it). I think I need some macro help. This story may be an unwieldy beast in its present form. Are there any broncobusters here?
I can give it a look if you'd like, Squeaky. Especially if you don't need a line-by-line or anything. I don't read a lot of "literary", but a reader from another perspective might be valuable.

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Does anyone beta poetry? I know it's tough, but I'm hoping to find someone who can really critique my rhythm and word choice.

Anyone game to give it a go? I'll trade for fiction or poetry, I can beta/critique either.

Thanks!

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Hi renard. I'm happy to give it a go if you like.

Xenospora

What is this... I don't even...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a beta request as well.

I have a series of short stories that feature the same world and main character and I want to make sure that they can each stand alone. I don't want to share them with a SYW forum for that reason. If someone reads one they won't be able to give a fresh opinion on the others.

I don't mind doing an exchange for someone else's short story. I really enjoy reading other people's writing and critiquing it.

The stories are slipstream. They range in word length from 1200-7500 words.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
So I've never posted here before...a little scary...but I'd like to find a beta reader for a horror short in the 2500 word range.

I'll happily return the favor for just about any genre, though I'd be lying if I said I could give a good opinion on Literary or Peotry.

Any help is appreciated :)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi all, I have a beta request as well.

I have a series of short stories that feature the same world and main character and I want to make sure that they can each stand alone. I don't want to share them with a SYW forum for that reason. If someone reads one they won't be able to give a fresh opinion on the others.

I don't mind doing an exchange for someone else's short story. I really enjoy reading other people's writing and critiquing it.

The stories are slipstream. They range in word length from 1200-7500 words.
I can give them a look if you want, though with the word count and the quantity, it could take me a couple weeks. PM me if you are still looking.

So I've never posted here before...a little scary...but I'd like to find a beta reader for a horror short in the 2500 word range.

I'll happily return the favor for just about any genre, though I'd be lying if I said I could give a good opinion on Literary or Peotry.

Any help is appreciated :)
Horror is right up my alley. :D If you still need crits, let me know.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
I have a 5k contemporary (urban?) fantasy short I need feedback on.
Will swap with someone. Anyone interested?

If this is till open I'd be willing to swap for that horror short I mentioned, which is sitting just past 3000 words.

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone willing to take a look at a 1,700 word fantasy? I'm thinking of subbing it to Penumbra's Ocean call. (And I'm willing to swap, of course.)

ETA: Betas acquired!

Last edited:

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Brynn,
I'd willing to take a look. I don't have anything ready for crit yet, but might crank out something later next week.
Spider

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
ANyone available for an exactly 900 words spec fic piece? Will trade for similiar (any genre)