Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the many decades since I lived in Phoenix and our last visit, it's gotten terribly smoggy as well. Tucson was always an enclave for like-minded people, but in a state going the direction Arizona seems to be in recent years, I won't live there again until they secede. Baja!

Maryn, who learned about it from Bill

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was born in New Mexico but I haven't lived there since I was seven. I don't much about the politics of the place. My parents are retired and are planning to move back as soon as they can sell their house.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I was born in New Mexico but I haven't lived there since I was seven. I don't much about the politics of the place. My parents are retired and are planning to move back as soon as they can sell their house.

Considerably more liberal than AZ. But that's like saying 'less crazy than Charles Manson'.

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn. I have been watching the smogginess in the Valley ever since I got my merit badge in astronomy with backyard stargazing in 1954. It certainly got a lot worse for several decades, to the point seeing the moon on a Phoenix night was noteworthy. But now it's clearing up some:because those blankety-blank federal bureaucrats in the EPA said to the car makers, cut the crap--the carbon, rather.
Trevor, breathing easier

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this must be the first time I killed a chat with a comment about air quality! I suppose it happens to EPA techs a lot:D
Trevor, inhaling

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There, there, Trevor. It's just that I'm not online as much because I'm away from home. Today our other kid will be joining us, so I'll be around even less. Do try to keep this thread alive, won't you?

I'm at Cape Cod, but I don't broadcast my location when we travel. What if--gasp!--someone at AW wants to meet me? Luckily, I have it on good authority nobody here is anywhere nearby.

Maryn, that shy

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am at work. woo hoo. wish I were in cape cod. or anywhere else. we are going to Disneyworld in 65 days (but who is counting?) and in Florida I am going to buy a lottery ticket or two, and I hope I win, though my husband has dibs on quitting first if we don't win mega millions. His job is miserable, mine is ok.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it's any comfort, the vacation became less idyllic when we discovered this morning we have no hot water and the rental place can't/won't do anything until they reach the owner. We called him ourselves and got an answering machine. Our call has not been returned.

We hope he left the rental agency keys to everything which is locked away from prying tenants, such as the water heater, but it's been hours since we contacted them. The owner lives about three hours away, and if we have to wait for them to speak to him, and then for him to get here, it ain't good.

I'm starting to get the feeling I won't be showering today, much less doing dishes or washing any of the purposefully small wardrobe we brought because the place has a washer.

There, feel better?

Maryn, smelly

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
If it's any comfort, the vacation became less idyllic when we discovered this morning we have no hot water and the rental place can't/won't do anything until they reach the owner.

It's a vacation. You're supposed to have cold water, insects, grumpy landlords, sand in your sandwiches, scorpions, sunburn, poisonous jellyfish, and the other things that make holidays fun.

At least you've got net, so you can share your joy with the world.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Sass --you left out arguing with staff of expensive hotels about getting the refrigerator you were promised and which you need for medicines. The same refrigerator many cheap motels now provide automatically or with a lot less argument.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
The cheap motels are hit and miss, but the last one I stayed in wasn't too bad. Of course, I stayed in a five-star room by accident (my connector was late and I was stranded, so United put me up in a politician class resort overnight. Yay United!) and I worked in a Hyatt for 2 1/2 years so take that for what you will.
I'm actually wondering why I am fascinated with hotels and motels. Probably because I'll be living in them in my waning years....

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Pokes head in*

I just got back from NY (Long Island) - Does that count? :)

*Slips out*

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm heading to California this weekend for a high school renunion (never mind the number). I haven't been to one yet, so I'm anxious to catch up with all of my former classmates. I've always thought that high school gets it so wrong (on the social/success matter), and this will be an interesting test for that hypothesis. But most of all, I had so many good friends who I haven't seen in decades, and I want to reconnect before we all end up in the dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.