How'd You Find This Site?

AngelaG

Registered
Reaction score
Finding this site

A link to this site was provided for me in an online screenwriting course this week. I visited here years ago, but I hadn't had the time to invest in it.

I'm back. I want to become an active member.

Punk28

Registered
Reaction score
Was looking up ways to get over the dreaded Writer's Block (Or The Block as I call it) on the web, this site came up in my search and I decided to join.

zellieh

Registered
Reaction score
A NaNoWriMo post, but several years ago now. I lurked for a while before I decided to join.

Kessar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I think a more appropriate question is "how didn't you find this place?" I have been completing extensive research on writer tips and techniques, agents, and overall the publishing world. Through the research I kept finding the link and the name. So I cannot provide credit to one site or one person because the writer community brought me here.

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
I myself was recommended to come here by a commenter on author Seanan McGuire's blog, bookmarked the link, and finally came here when I was ready to ask some of the questions I had been recommended to come here to ask.

beezer

beezer
Registered
Reaction score
beezer

Like others, by accident. I went looking for "where to submit novellas?" AbsoluteWrite caught my eye, and here I am.

TGrace

Registered
Reaction score
I recently read a post on Veronica Roth's blog recommending it and thought that I would check it out! Before that, though, it was definitely something familiar that I knew existed and could potentially be useful in the future, maybe from another blog post or Twitter. :)

Serenity Bear

Registered
Reaction score
I got banned from one forum on a totally different subject (3 days) so went looking for a forum for writers and found this one in Google search. I'm very glad I did.

Creative Cowboy

A Reader Is A Writer's Best Friend.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I got banned from one forum on a totally different subject (3 days) so went looking for a forum for writers and found this one in Google search. I'm very glad I did.
Same here. I had to build up karma before I could post work for critique (same as elsewhere) and so I did. Then I got banned for using the word bloody. Actually I got banned for following up on the reason why my post(s) were deleted.

Words to me matter, so my banning was inevitable. I was discourteously informed of my censure, just so you're all elucidated, based on the religious connotation of bloody, such that it were offensive to some.

as in: Bostworth woods ran bloody with the life force of Richard's men - I kid you not.

This occurred ahead of my meeting with one of my writer idols, the occasion to meet with him in person - a special treat for a Canadian, such as I, living in a foreign country, as where I reside. Naturally I did not want to miss the opportunity to push a polished chapter in front of him.

AW was recommended to me, I arrived, was granted special dispensation to receive a critique, which begins a longer story but underlines the success of my experience here compared to the flashy "community" featuring agent critiques and weekly podcasts.

So a big welcome to you, Serenity Bear!

Last edited:

InspectorFarquar

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Miss Snark's blog went dark, for nefarious reasons, and I followed everyone here. I still heart Miss Snark, however.

I too was googling something Snark related and an article came up Anti-AW. Something about a pack of bullies. Hmmm, I thought, must check this out.

So, Hello meanies, wherever you be lurking.

laazy

Epic procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Was searching for inspiration and tips to get started on that novel I always wanted to write and stumbled upon it via intense googling.

allias

Registered
Reaction score
A simple Google search using "biggest writing forum" led me here.

NeverSayDie

Registered
Reaction score
Similar to others, link followed from a Google search on agents ended up with me joining. I think I had heard mention of the site before though.

Excuse Me

Registered
Reaction score
Was on the student room and someone put a link to it in the creative forum, had a look and joined thereafter.

bshane54

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking for a good site to get some help writing my first book.. ideas, and read other's work to spark other ideas. finally fell here :)

MaineReviewEditor

The Maine Review
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheMaineReview.com
Answer: I was looking for help!

Over the 20+ years I've been writing and editing, when I've searched for information about agents and publishers, or other industry info, I've regularly found answers on the Absolute Write site -- and I always appreciate knowing that the answers come from writers who are honest and are writing about the truth of their experience. This site is a wonderful resource.

Abisha

Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I searched up writing-related questions, this site would often come up. It's also recommended on a ton of sites on writing resources, and an author who's blog I was checking out mentioned it as well.