• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nelson Literary Agency, LLC (Kristin Nelson)

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you're on your way, Chocolate Potato! Fingers crossed that one of your other subs will lead to something great!

WriteTyme

Registered
Reaction score
Query

Should I send the first 5 pages of my novel with my initial query letter? I've read the submission guidelines, but I just want to be 100% sure. Thanks.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
WriteTyme, for this agency, I'd say follow the guidelines and send a one-page query letter. Focus on the query itself this round. If they're interested, they'll ask for a partial which will be more than your 5-page-sample.

I know it seems like every agency has guidelines that conflict with every other agency. Consider it part of the test, to weed out some of the 36,000+ queries they each get annually. Research and following directions will get you far.

First off, are you absolutely certain your mms is ready for queries? I queried Nelson and other agencies way too early, and lost a couple of years using query letters that surpassed maximum suckage. (Of course, I hadn't discovered AW yet, either.)

If you're really new to queries, and you haven't done this yet, check out Janet Reid's Query Shark site, for hilarious and informative examples. AW's own Share Your Work Query Letter forum is another place: hang out and help crit others' letters until you reach your 50 posts.

Whatever happens, good luck and welcome to AW!

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Anna! That certainly sounds promising!

Viva Forever

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on news from the partial. Probably another two weeks or so.

Hi Filigree,

I recognize you from the Pomada thread! Anyhow, I have a partial out with the Nelson agency as well. They say 2 months at max for a reply? The clock is a-ticking... :)

Viva

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Well, they need to say yes or no on the partial within the next two weeks, because I've got some interest from e-pub editors now. As much as I like Nelson, I may jump at a direct submission. I wonder if I could involve Nelson later, if I got an offer from a publisher?

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
Just yesterday on Facebook, Sara Megibow did an #AskAgent session and answered several questions regarding representation after submissions to publishers. She said that is often reason enough for them to pass because it doesn't allow them the ability to negotiate or work with preferred editors at various publishing houses.

Here is the link to her FB page and all the responses if you'd like to review the Q&As.

https://www.facebook.com/SaraMegibowNelsonAgency

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Well, that's the answer I suspected. The e-pubs I'm considering all have 12 to 16 week response times anyway, so it's not like it has to be done now.
I'll give Nelson the chance to say 'no' on the merits of the partial itself. If this was just one book, I'd take a chance - but this involves a potential series and several standalone books.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm still hoping I can contact Nelson and some of my other 'dream' agencies if my e-pub stuff takes off. But for now, I have to admit defeat on the agent front. It's just not happening, and I'd rather focus on writing new mms than queries for older ones.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
The thing I'm wondering about is their decision to become a publisher. Even if they only deal with their own author's out of contract works, it's bothersome. It also makes one wonder how long it will be until they decide to go whole hog and start routing new titles in to their publishing stream.

I'm rather disturbed by this whole 'agent as publisher' trend we're seeing.

yttar

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yttar.blogspot.com
The thing I'm wondering about is their decision to become a publisher. Even if they only deal with their own author's out of contract works, it's bothersome. It also makes one wonder how long it will be until they decide to go whole hog and start routing new titles in to their publishing stream.

I'm rather disturbed by this whole 'agent as publisher' trend we're seeing.

Kristen's blog spells it out quite nicely that they're not a publisher and have no intention of being one. But for their authors who wish to self-publish, they're willing to help those authors out.

Yttar

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Kristen's blog spells it out quite nicely that they're not a publisher and have no intention of being one. But for their authors who wish to self-publish, they're willing to help those authors out.

Yttar

I read the blog. They'd stated they were doing 'reprints' for the authors who wanted to self-publish out of production titles.

My comment was: "It also makes one wonder how long it will be until they decide to go whole hog and start routing new titles into their publishing stream."

Old books have limited sales potential, even for well established authors. With the new trend of authors self-publishing after they've established a readership, there's the potential they may change their current stance. Which is why I'd wondered how long they're going to stick with reissues before they start helping authors with new, previously unpublished work.