Latin

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really have a question, I was just looking at this forum and thinking: Shouldn't we have a Latin thread? You know, a place where people can post Latin questions or trivia.

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
*polishes off Latin conjugation and declension book*

Erm...

quis es? Oh...Onewriter est.

I think this is an excellent idea, hun. Now, how do you translate that? :D Rufus, you dare -- you just dare :D :D

Last edited:

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, let's lure Rufus in here! I mean, what kind of Latin thread would it be without Rufus? Hey, but I think the question needs to be more complicated than that, that's too easy, Fallen, pick something better!!

Rufus, tibi clamamus: veni ut cum nobis consortium in eo foro teneas!

OK, that was really lame, so here are my questions for you Rufus: how would you translate "company" (in the sense I meant above)?

Last edited:

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Rufus quid es?

Ok, that was totally made up, but you all did get me intrigued.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Rufus is one of our Latin supremes, SaraP:D. And if he goes all big translations on me, I'm getting my whip out again...

Hey, One, hang on, I'm still stuck on tibi clamamus *thumbs through Latin book* right, 'to you we call', ah, 'we call/ask you'?.

Right -- what was the next word...

Bloomin' useless I am. :D

Edit: LDV, i bet you're better than I am. Lol.

Last edited:

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
*** looks over her shoulder ***

pssst, Fallen... if you catch a mistake in what I wrote let me know before Rufus gets here, ok? I mean, the Romans were my ancestors, I can't look bad on this thread, can I????

*** straddles off her merry way, looking casual ***

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
My Latin is so rusty... :(

Don't worry Liosse, mine is a few hundred years rusty. :D

Well that's exactly why I started this forum: so we can all help one another refresh it as for one reason or the other we all like some Latin quotes in our WIP's, don't we? He he, whenever I can't remember a word I just go for Spanish, isn't that funny??? Thank goodness there's Wiktionary!!!

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
*whispers* ok, hun, I'll distract him. I've got a shiny new Latin book in the corner: cover's not been touched or anything, can't fail to take distract his careful eye--

*looks sharply over shoulder*

Phew *wipes brow* thought that was him then. You stay by me, hun. It's safer in groups. *shifts closer to OneW*...

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
So is Rufus. Or at least his hair (lit. "red-haired," from L. rufus)

Ha, never thought of that! great catch, Med!!! ;)

PS I meant to tell you a looong time ago: even though your avatar is beautiful, I still miss the Scapigliata.... :(

Deleted member 42

Ha, never thought of that! great catch, Med!!! ;)

PS I meant to tell you a looong time ago: even though your avatar is beautiful, I still miss the Scapigliata.... :(

Thanks--it is one of my favorite images, but this avatar has some advantages as well.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Hey, One, med' and Sara' are here now. *sighs relief* Maybe we can ask them to do the Uhura dance from Star Trek. You know the one on the movie, with the feathers as she dances on a distant sanddune...?

*wonders off humming some lonely desert song*

Okay, so I finally admitted I'm a Star Trek fan...

Thank you for that link, Med'. I need a serious brush up on mine. ;)

Last edited:

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, One, med' and Sara' are here now.

I know, quite a crowd! Calls for something special!
Hey, look how talkative I've become! I feel like I'm virtually drunk!
Or as drunk as a non-drinker can get... ha, the beauty of the virtual world... *** hic-ups ***

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
:e2drunk:

*chuckles* I'm the one on the right.

:roll:

that makes me the one on the left, then, huh? if I still know left from right....

Gee, I really meant this thread to be serious!!! Well, it needed a grand opening party, right?

:partyguy:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
:D

Serious face. Favourite Latin quote: qui tacet consentit (a good one for the parents at my daughter's school): he who stays silent, consents.

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
Yup! Chi tace acconsente.
Hold on... was I supposed to post that on the Italian thread?
*** hic! *** Nah, I'll never find my way back there...
Oh, how cute... hic is a Latin word!!! So I guess it's OK to be drunk over here!!! :D

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
omg, hic, haec, hoc, hi, hae, haec or something like that! I remember!!! 'This person' 'this thing' (S.) 'the latter' (pl).

*Pokes Latin teacher in the eye* and you said I'd never remember a thing. Mind you, he (later she) did make me sing it to remember!!!

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Vita vinum est. Since word order makes no difference, it means both "wine is life" and "life is wine." One of my favorites quotations -- especially since I've been querying :D

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Hi, Hathor! Good to meet you. Isn't there the Latin rule somewhere that relative clauses take the nominative? Vita (fem. nom) vinum (neut, nom)...Old memories going... (I'm saying you're right, hun, I just can't remember whether relative clauses get nom forms...)

:D

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Lorem ipsum molestie scriptorem in duo, hinc dicam in vel. Erant graecis sententiae vel te, sensibus senserit cu cum. Quem erat adversarium te quo, sea tincidunt rationibus in, vim et essent repudiandae. In sit epicurei assueverit, delenit temporibus nam ea. Qui modo iriure volutpat te, his ad partem aeterno elaboraret. Ex erat sensibus sed, ad nonumy interesset pri?

Has tractatos inciderint cu, ferri probatus honestatis ex vel. Habeo meliore ut sed. Est ex solet iriure! Sea elit eleifend ut, veniam mediocrem vim ut. Ex sea patrioque hendrerit, vim dico putent at, id nonummy gubergren sea.

Docendi dissentias ei mei. Natum patrioque at cum, munere vivendum legendos nec ad, et vix iriure perfecto persecuti? An luptatum sapientem est, et vim wisi vivendo oportere. Esse putent consetetur no quo, in eam viris veniam, dico patrioque qui at. Liber omnium nominavi te est. Reque sapientem at vix, cibo invidunt aliquyam his in!

An scaevola inimicus ullamcorper per, eu conceptam reformidans per.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
The above is what latin texts always looked like to me. :) If anyone's curious, it's a random psuedo-latin "language" meant to fill white space in web design.