The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
YAY!!!! So happy for your Fuchsia!!!!! Congrats! Can't wait to read your book!

brs18041

Registered
Reaction score
Hugs and best of luck to everyone! I am hoping to see this place exploding with news next week :)

Is it normal for there to be a flurry of activity at the beginning of September?

There've still been plenty of deals happening the past couple months, so I was skeptical that the publishing industry really comes to a halt during the summer. But I sure hope that's why there's been radio silence (rather than the editors not caring about my MS).

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Is it normal for there to be a flurry of activity at the beginning of September?

There've still been plenty of deals happening the past couple months, so I was skeptical that the publishing industry really comes to a halt during the summer. But I sure hope that's why there's been radio silence (rather than the editors not caring about my MS).

I don't know about September, but my agency normally posts a few new deals a week in Publishers Marketplace, and these past few weeks, they've posted zip. On top of that, there's usually lag time between the deal and its posting, so deals posted now were most likely made earlier in the summer. I think it really is pretty quiet out there right now.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about September, but my agency normally posts a few new deals a week in Publishers Marketplace, and these past few weeks, they've posted zip. On top of that, there's usually lag time between the deal and its posting, so deals posted now were most likely made earlier in the summer. I think it really is pretty quiet out there right now.

Yup, we had over a month between the deal and its posting. I figure that can happen at any season for various reasons, but summer probably contributes.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
FUSCHIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brs18041

Registered
Reaction score
Nada so far. The world of publishing is digging themselves out from piles of emails, probably. ;-)

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing on my end yet!! But the past two days were insane, so even if I'd gotten good news, I might not have even had time for it ;)

Good luck, Whiporee!

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
So wouldn't you think that if a book kept you going through 137 some odd thousand words in a single night, you might think others might do the same? Nope.

First R, but it's a tangental one -- it wasn't for her, but she sent it on with a good rec to someone in her office that might fit it better. So that's got to be a good sign, but then my agent told me she's a friend, so it might just be being nice. I don't understand agents, but I really don't understand editors.

The good news is that my agent gets them to read -- no one has passed on the query either time. Five of our previous editors want to read the revised version, so she's done her job. I wish I were more confident in mine. I keep thinking of scenes I should have changed, lines I should have thrown in, things I should have taken out. I hate feeling this scared. I don't know how anyone does it.

brs18041

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I were more confident in mine. I keep thinking of scenes I should have changed, lines I should have thrown in, things I should have taken out. I hate feeling this scared. I don't know how anyone does it.

I was super confident in mine (based on both my gut and agent/reader feedback) but it keeps getting rejected. So it's been a crushing experience. Confidence doesn't make this any easier IMO. Don't worry about how confident/scared you are, just try to focus on something else while it's out of your hands (easier said than done, I know).

Still, it's awesome that so many editors requested your revision!!! Good luck to you.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
I keep thinking of scenes I should have changed, lines I should have thrown in, things I should have taken out. I hate feeling this scared. I don't know how anyone does it.

Yes. This. So much this. When I start second-guessing myself like that, I just repeat to myself, "Nobody knows anything. Nobody knows anything."

I wasn't sure where I first heard that, but apparently here. It's referencing the fact that Hollywood producers ultimately rely on their gut to tell them if a movie will succeed, and their gut isn't always right. Sure, there's market research, but on some level, everybody — writers, agents, editors — is just guessing what will work and what won't. So it's OK not to know for sure. You're in the same boat with everybody else. All you can do is what you've done.

Or, in short, what brs said. :)

And five looking at a revision is great! They obviously see potential there. Good luck!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So wouldn't you think that if a book kept you going through 137 some odd thousand words in a single night, you might think others might do the same? Nope.

Heh, yeah, I would think so... :-/ I don't get editors either.

Five of our previous editors want to read the revised version, so she's done her job. I wish I were more confident in mine. I keep thinking of scenes I should have changed, lines I should have thrown in, things I should have taken out. I hate feeling this scared. I don't know how anyone does it.

:Hug2: Great to hear that five of the previous editors want to read the revised version! That sounds promising! Best of luck to you, whip!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Catching up on thread...

YAY FUSCHIA!!!! :snoopy: :snoopy:

YAY CALLA!!!! I love the shiny new releases! :snoopy: :snoopy:

And tons of mojo and vamp dust to whiporee, brs, Beckstah, Joy, and everyone else on sub, going on sub, etc. :D.

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
Sprinkle some of that vamp dust on me, please! Labor Day is over. Maybe those of us on sub will hear something positive now?

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Hester!

Wishing good luck, mojo, vamp dust, etc. to all this week. Oh, and Trader Joe's Powerberries for those with deadlines. Who recommended those? I have a new addiction.

I got very excited about two new YA ideas, one of which I know my agent likes (the other I haven't tried out on her yet). Meanwhile I want to send her a recently revised book (which may not be marketable right now) and work on this adult ms. that I'm finding very tricky, but I can't let it go.

Too much stuff, not enough time, but it feels good to just let the words flow instead of revising for a change. I expect to be in the thick of revisions for my sold book soon enough...

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Wishing good luck, mojo, vamp dust, etc. to all this week. Oh, and Trader Joe's Powerberries for those with deadlines. Who recommended those? I have a new addiction.

Me, me! I'm the Powerberry enabler!

I'm puzzling through Scrivener tutorials, trying to decide if I want to try it for a brand new WIP that is going to be structurally intricate. Word has served me well for years; I'm not convinced...

Status
Not open for further replies.