• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Trident Media Group

Beware_of_Italics

Different from the rest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stuffandnonsense-auntkristin.blogspot.com
I'm also leaning towards it being a form rejection b/c The Seymour Agency (they requested the first 50 pages) said the same thing last week. She wrote a handwritten note on my query which said "Despite the good things in this, must pass."

So there's that word again - "Good." Do they just say that to everyone they reject after reading some or all of the story? Makes me wonder.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Please understand ... what one agent thinks might be different than the views of other literary agents.
Kristin

Hmmm, I thought it was a form letter until I read that annoying grammar error. If it were a form, it probably would've been proofed to read different from the views of others. Just one opinion though.

Sorry to hear about your rejection. Did the form letter about the AAR help at all? It seems like such a weird thing to include in a rejection letter. Am I wrong about that?

Beware_of_Italics

Different from the rest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stuffandnonsense-auntkristin.blogspot.com
Kimberley Whalen uses the same one then. :(

It's very upsetting, but at least I now know for certain that it was a form rejection. That hurts a lot more than the rejection itself, but.... it is what it is. That's just how they (and many others I'm sure) run their operation. I just wish they'd taken the time to type me a line or two on just why they don't want to represent it. I don't think that's asking too much. I'm not talking about a long critique by any means. Just one line or two.

Thanks everyone for your input. I really needed to know about this being a form rejection or not, so thanks. :)

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Anyone here have any experience on how quickly Alyssa Henkin responds to equeries?

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy

Registered
Reaction score
I had a same-day request from Alyssa back 1st of the year, but everything was very slow after that.

harriet47

journo turned novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
harrietschultz.blogspot.com
Thanks all for the very good info on Kimberly Whalen who just requested my full. It helps to know in advance that they're slow to reply so I won't be checking my email every hour of every day.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all for the very good info on Kimberly Whalen who just requested my full. It helps to know in advance that they're slow to reply so I won't be checking my email every hour of every day.

Yep, she's had my full ms. for 7 months. I've tried a couple of polite email inquiries about the status, to no avail thus far...

Because that agency has such an amazing reputation, the wait is worth it, to me. I'll just keep concentrating on my next novel (and even querying a few more agencies - Ms. Whalen doesn't ask for exclusive reads).

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
How long did she take to respond to your query?

Almost two years ago, I got a response to my query in about an hour. took her a year to reject the full.

ten months ago I had a response in about two weeks, also a request for a full. Two months to go until my rejection comes, lol!

sigh.:Shrug:

Robyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rgporter.net
Kimberly had mine for awhile as well. I am curious... how do most agencies look on resubbing after doing a major overhaul. I'm half tempted to resend them my vamp novel.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends on the assistant and what she/he thought of the premise the first time round. Worst that can happen is a "no".

not brand new but the story is a heck of alot tighter than before as well as more developed than previously.

trwithe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomwither.blogspot.com
My First Full MS Request

Hello All,

I just wanted to post a quick note to say thanks to all of you who have posted before me. I've found the information you've provided and experiences to be very enlightening.

This afternoon I received my very first request for the full manuscript for my first novel from Scott Miller's assistant, Stephanie Sun at Trident. I queried him via e-mail on the 27 of Jun.

I've been a happy fella all afternoon, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again to all of you who have posted before me.

Tom

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
Congrats, Tom!

Hello All,

This afternoon I received my very first request for the full manuscript for my first novel from Scott Miller's assistant, Stephanie Sun at Trident. I queried him via e-mail on the 27 of Jun.

Congrats, Tom! FYI & FWIW Stephanie Sun is also Kimberley Whalen's assistant. I got a request for a full from her very quickly (within a week?) Rejected in about six weeks. From what I gather reading through the comments here, it was pretty much a form R with a few personalized lines tossed in ("brilliant dialogue" "laugh out loud moments" "overall pace somewhat lacking")

No offer to 'speed the pace' and resub. :Shrug:

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Stephanie Sun is also Kimberley Whalen's assistant.

Whew. That's good to know - I was afraid my manuscript might've gotten lost in the shuffle of changing assistants or something.

Stephanie Sun requested my full ms. (on behalf of Ms. Whalen) way back in December. I've emailed Ms. Sun a couple of very polite inquiries (one at the 4-month mark, and one at the 6-month mark), but I never received a reply. I've been wondering if she still worked for KW...

I guess I'll just be as patient as possible and realize that some of these agents don't respond to a full for about a year...

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
Oh well.....after five weeks of having my manuscript under review by Scott Miller, I got the e-mail form letter rejection today. Time to try, try again.

Hugs on the R. :Hug2: I'd like to say they get easier, but my mother taught me to always tell the truth.

Keep your chin up and your resolve strong.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it gets easier. Apathy is your friend!

Try it on, and then go write something absurd. I've got a shiny new novel almost finished. It started as a smart-assed diversion from checking the emails. It's pretty good!

I heart apathy! I'm pretty sure that's my new log line.

And keep submitting. There are a lot of agents out there.

Nappy

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question. I just recieved a request for a full manuscript from a Trident Agent. I'm trying to figure out if I should be excited by the requesting letter. Do they always request manuscripts saying they are extremely excited to read the manuscript and that they think the book sounds highly intriguing? Or is unusual for a request to be so overly positive from Trident? I've gotten requests from other agencies that were a lot more straight forward.

Anyone?

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
I have a question. I just recieved a request for a full manuscript from a Trident Agent. I'm trying to figure out if I should be excited by the requesting letter. Do they always request manuscripts saying they are extremely excited to read the manuscript and that they think the book sounds highly intriguing? Or is unusual for a request to be so overly positive from Trident? I've gotten requests from other agencies that were a lot more straight forward.

Anyone?

I've heard nothing but good things about Trident. One of their agents asked for a full through her assistant, but my story sure wasn't showered with the praise you received. (It's still out there, so I can't give you any outcome yet.)

If I was you, I'd sure run with it! Sounds like a great opportunity.

Nappy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm tentatively letting myself get excited! If nothing else - at least she saw potential! I'll keep you updated with the result (I'm sure months from now!)

Good luck!