• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Trident Media Group

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I first contacted Jenny Bent with my query and she asked for the first ten pages. She said that she was sorry and she really liked the concept, but it wasn't for her. She said I had a very distinctive style, so I wouldn't be right for everyone, but she did say that I should find great success when it gets out there.

So I sent out my query to Melissa Flashman and she said it was "very intriguing." She asked for my entire manuscript.

From what I've researched, I should be fine sending it. She shouldn't be trying to steal it, but I'm really nervous. Should I be?

No.

christinalbarr

Registered
Reaction score
Is it normal for agents to request entire manuscripts? All of the other agents I queried only asked for 10, 50, or 100 pages.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Is it normal for agents to request entire manuscripts? All of the other agents I queried only asked for 10, 50, or 100 pages.

I've never gotten a partial request. Only fulls. So, yes it's normal depending on the agent in question.

No one is going to steal a MS from an unpubbed author that they'd still have to edit to presentability, shop, and run the risk of getting sued over. If it's good enough that you're afraid someone will steal it (a very insulting position) then it's good enough to make the agent money by back your career.

christinalbarr

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I figured that was the case, but I've got many people in my ear telling me I shouldn't, especially by email. Then I have a friend who says he knows a friend in publishing, so they think they know stuff.

I've never done any publishing before, so I'm excited and terrified all at the same time. I do think I've got a great book, and I've read that it's cheaper and less of a hassel if agents and publishing companies just pay you. I just live with a bunch of over protective chickens.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've read that it's cheaper and less of a hassel if agents and publishing companies just pay you. I just live with a bunch of over protective chickens.

OMG... this is NOT even a choice.

You DO NOT pay an agent up front nor do you EVER pay a publisher to publish your book.

The publisher PAYS YOU, ALWAYS. The agent gets a percentage of that.

christinalbarr

Registered
Reaction score
OMG... this is NOT even a choice.

You DO NOT pay an agent up front nor do you EVER pay a publisher to publish your book.

The publisher PAYS YOU, ALWAYS. The agent gets a percentage of that.

I know. I think you're not understanding what what I'm saying. I was agreeing with you that it's not worth them to steal it and it's better to buy from you. I know I'm not supposed to pay an agent. I've had enough experience in singing to know that.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well... a publisher can (and should) buy your book. That's the only way it works--unless you choose to go with some form of self-publishing, but that's another ball of wax altogether. There will likely (but not always) be an advance, and then you're paid royalties.

An agent will not buy your book. An agent will help you get a better deal from the publisher and avoid iffy contract clauses, and for that s/he will get 15% of what you get from the publisher.

Poke around here some more. Your friends may be well intentioned, but they don't seem to be familiar with publishing, and it's complicated. You've got some requests from very reputable agents. This is an excellent time to learn!

ETA: So slow- this is in response to christinalbar

Last edited:

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
What is it with this thread and going off-topic? Not to mention people thinking agents are going to steal their manuscripts. I don't see people asking stuff like that in any other agency's thread. What gives?

I seriously don't mean to sound bitchy, but this thread should be for discussing TMG, NOT the pros and cons of vanity publishing.

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
So trure! OK, back to TMG--I heard from the agent and my ms. is still under consideration so there's still hope...

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I've ported the posts about vanity publishing to their own thread in the Roundtable, where that discussion seems more appropriate. I wouldn't normally be concerned about a few OT posts in the midst of a thread about something else, but this particular thread is so very long and unwieldy (and seems to go OT so frequently) that I'm trying to keep things focused.

- Victoria

plugger

Registered
Reaction score
After 121 queries followed by 3 requests for partials (all rejected), this week I received 2 requests for fulls. (one from TMG -and, the release form is a first) So, now my saga begins.

A Google search turned up this thread and I'm glad it did. Now, I have an idea of what to expect from the folks at Trident. Otherwise, I'd gone further insane.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

christinalbarr

Registered
Reaction score
It's been over a week since I sent my manuscript to Trident Media Group. I feel like I'm about to bust and my dad bothers me every hour, asking me to check my email.

Does anyone know what the normal response time to reviewing a requested manuscript might be? I know I'm being impatient, but I really can't help it.

christinalbarr

Registered
Reaction score
Do you think if it takes that long that they're not interested and they're not going to get back to you or they just haven't read it or decided yet?

And did you have to sign a release form? Melissa Flashman didn't mention one to me, but I've read that others have had to.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Some agents read quickly, others take months, there's no way to know if they're interested or not. That's why most of the advice here is to send a follow-up at the 3 or 4 month mark.

plugger

Registered
Reaction score
For those who received anything other than a rejection, what was the wait time?

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
No Release Form

I had to sign a release form. It says on their release form that it's their company policy and that no agent there will consider a manuscript without one being signed.

Just to LYK I wasn't asked to sign a release form aned I'm still waiting after four months...so it's different for everyone. I did get a nice response when I followed up but still no final word. Luckily my eggs aren't all in the TMG basket so we'll see...Good luck!

Last edited:

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
Sad to say, I'm starting to agree...I've all but given up on Trident and have moved on to other agents. I want an agent who's excited about representing me, not someone who's still on the fence.

Too many good agencies out there to get stuck on one...
Luckily, I kept querying and my full is out with two other agents. Onward and upward!

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
I want an agent who's excited about representing me, not someone who's still on the fence.

Yes, did they actually say they read it already and were on the fence?

Because IME, still under consideration translates into "it's sitting in a huge to be read pile and I still want to read it but you know, just haven't taken a look at even a single page yet because I'm THAT busy working for my clients." Seriously, I wouldn't give up yet, unless they actually said they've read it. Four months is nothing. :Hug2:

Last edited:

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
Still hope?

Yes, did they actually say they read it already and were on the fence?

Because IME, still under consideration translates into "it's sitting in a huge to be read pile and I still want to read it but you know, just haven't taken a look at even a single page yet because I'm THAT busy working for my clients." Seriously, I wouldn't give up yet, unless they actually said they've read it. Four months is nothing. :Hug2:

Thanks for the pep talk! They asked for the full after they read the partial so that was a good sign--but then all this publishing turmoil took place and I guess it got put on the back burner. But to me, if you're willing to put off reading a book for that long, you're not very excited about it...

I hoped my novel was a "page-turner" but guess not! LOL

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Odds are it wasn't put on a back burner, but another pile.

Think of it this way. Your query once sat in a queries to be read pile. It was read and they said great, send a ptl. Your partial then sat in a partials to be read pile. It was read and they said great, send the full. Now your full is sitting in a fulls to be read pile.

I know it's tempting to think it's disinterest, but it's not always. Sometimes it's just being busy. Jonathan Lyons once wrote a great post about this. I'll try and find it.

Here you go. Check out the comments-I asked him that very ques, about response times equating with interest and his answer was illuminating. And while he clearly doesn't work for TMG, I think it probably applies here. Don't give up yet, but keep querying.

Last edited:

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
Twizzle, that was so helpful--thanks! Still, this waiting game is driving me nuts. Initially they were very quick to respond, so that's what has me worried.

In my fantasy, all the agents are begging to represent me and I have to be the one to pick and choose who I want...LOL

Wouldn't that be fun? If only...at least it keeps me going for now!

Last edited:

sistermorphine

getting weird, going pro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahevekelly.com
If they take months and the writer finds other representation, what's the problem? It's their loss, and is endemic across the industry, not just with Trident. It's what you sign on for when you decide to start the query-go-round. Queriers are lower on the totem pole than clients, and sh-t happens. Nobody likes it. If you object that much, vanity presses are enjoying a great vogue these days.

BTW Jenny Bent has left Trident and hung up her own shingle, for anyone who doesn't know. www.thebentagency.com