• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Do you think famous writers lurk here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
Do you think famous writers lurk here at AW? I think I would, if I was Stephen King or George RR Martin or Anne Tyler. Wouldn't it be cool if they had anonymous login's and were here all the time?

*shivers*

*shout out to all the famous anonymous lurkers*

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
Define famous. Certainly authors who've achieved a fair amount of success hang out here openly.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First response: Why would they?

Second response: Of course there are! Because why not?

Third response: How odd and sad that there is a need for anonymity for famous people.

Fourth response: Considering whether to reveal my sekrit identity.

:D:D:D:D:D

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I would certainly assume so. Writers like hanging out with other writers, and it's probably a nice break for some of them not to get continual 'ERMAHGERD YOU'RE TEH AWESOME READ MY STUFFFFFFF' when they want to hash out an idea or just chill with like-minded people for a bit. :D

usuallycountingbats

Procrastinating on the net.
Registered
Reaction score
On another forum I frequent, there are a couple of people who are famous in the field who use it openly. Then there a few who are anonymous. Then a whole heap more monitor it and talk about a) how badly behaved people are on there and b) how much they are armchair warriors. They aren't very complimentary about the users of the forum at all.

On that basis I'd say its highly likely something similar goes on here, except I suspect they're less rude about users of this forum :D

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm kinda glad they aren't open about it, if they are here. Lets everyone be more open and honest and not 'star-struck'. I mean, can you imagine someone directly disagreeing with Stephen King if they weren't equally successful? (Personally, I wouldn't; I'd just keep my mouth shut and disagree in mine own little haid...)

usuallycountingbats

Registered
Reaction score
Because. We The mods are teh awesome.

Q.E.D.

:D

Fixed that for ya. ;)

In all seriousness, if the other one had the RYFW rule then I suspect it would have a much better reputation in the wider world of the subject it deals with. That rule (and the fact it is obviously implemented well and fairly) was one of the things which made me sign up here over other places.

usuallycountingbats

Registered
Reaction score
I'm kinda glad they aren't open about it, if they are here. Lets everyone be more open and honest and not 'star-struck'. I mean, can you imagine someone directly disagreeing with Stephen King if they weren't equally successful? (Personally, I wouldn't; I'd just keep my mouth shut and disagree in mine own little haid...)

I've seen top level professionals shredded on this other forum I use, by people who (to continue the analogy) would be the equivalent of someone who was barely able to write their name disagreeing with Stephen King.

So yes, I can totally imagine it! It isn't pretty.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that they hang out here but it isn't unusual for people to have programs that constantly search the net for their names or their titles. So, if they get a hit from here, I guess they'd at least follow that thread.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fine. You caught me.

But you'll never guess my name! And if you can't guess it, I get to keep your ba--

Wait.

Never mind.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
There actually used to be a lot of famous writers participating here as AW members, but they all bailed out after I absent-mindedly failed to reciprocate their rep points. :eek:

Gena_Skyler

Registered
Reaction score

This would be me.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score

This, or how many PMs a famous writer would get, begging them to "please read my 250,000 word manuscript and give it to your agent for me." While regulars seem to possess decent social skills, the same can't be said for some drive-by folks who are, by nature, a bit skeevy.

Deleted member 42

He is astonishingly open to discussion, and is I think at heart still a teacher.

I've seen him be kind and patient and genuinely listen to teens. What the Kings have done together for libraries and literacy in rural Maine has made noticeable differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.