How much money have you invested in your writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterfly

Registered
Reaction score
Or would you rather not calculate it?

I've spent hundreds on books and the biggest expense being a laptop about six years ago. Now I'm fidgeting over a $700 online class.

I suppose if I average it out over the course of the time I've been writing it would be pennies per year which would make me happier, but I think that what I have invested is worth it.

How do you all feel about it?

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Personally? Nothing as my laptop was a Christmas gift in 09. The only thing I have to pay for is notebooks and pens, which we have all over the house.

Then again I don't pay for internet but I use it so I could add that in for when I move out and have to support myself. But It'd all be worth it when I have to do that. And by that time I would have to buy my own pens and paper instead of foraging my house.

I don't think my parents would ever help pay for any online class so I'm completely on my own for anything out of those basic needs.

Reaction score
Thousands, easily. If we're counting computers, peripherals, consumables, stationery, gadgets, books, all that stuff? An insane amount of money over the years.

Deleted member 42

That's a trick question, for me. I spent a lot on my education, but did not plan, expect, intend or desire to become a full time writer.

But that's what happened.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
I bought my first copy of "The Writer's Handbook" when I was 10. That was 45 years ago.

There's no way to calculate how much I've spent. Countless books, magazines, notebooks, pens, several computers... a lifetime invested, really. How can I put a price on experience? It's all fodder...

However I'm doing research for a book now and some of it will take me overseas. For this I will keep very clear records for the hapless soul who receives my IRS forms. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Actual money? Almost nothing as I would have the laptop even if I didn't write. I am certainly well into a net proft.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
About £30 - £40 on a few books. Does travelling to a writers' group count? Add a couple of hundred there over the last couple of years. Probably £50 on paper.

Both my PC and laptop technically belong to hubby's company, so didn't/don't cost a bean.

That's it.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Not much other than a couple of writing books and postage for mailing back contracts. I'd have a computer and Internet regardless if I was writing or not.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I have two degrees (BA and MFA) in writing, so I've invested quite a bit. More than I might ever see back from a career in writing fiction.

But, it was not at all a waste! My BA is from a school where I also the opportunity to work manning a computer help desk for three years. That and the writing degree landed me a job as a technical writer. And *that* has put a roof over my head, food in my belly, paid for my cars, and paid for my MFA.

So I think I came out ahead, in the grand scheme of things.

I still want to be published in fiction, though! :)

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
In direct spending, very little. I'd have a computer anyway and I minimise things like snail mail submissions. My website shares space with a hobby website I run, so the only thing I'm paying for extra is the domain. The most expensive thing was joining SFWA.

Indirectly, lots of money. I've brought endless books, fiction magazines and so forth. Without reading I wouldn't be writing.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
What is my time worth? Figure that out and then multiply by tens of thousands of hours...

For me it is not about the cost, as you just can not put a $$$ on something like writing. Its like asking me to estimate what I have spent on my kids from cradle to now and if it was worth it. You will always question if you did enough, or too much...

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I'm not an accountant, but I attended a class once at a RWA conference where one gave us tips on how to file a tax return (US) to itemize your expenses as a writer. The only problem is you have to show an income from writing or after a while you can't claim the expenses any more because it's considered just a hobby.

But let's see. I buy books, paper, ink cartridges, rubber bands, binder clips, pens, pencils and all manner of Post-its and notebooks.

I go to at least two writing events per year (the Cascade Writers workshop and the Emerald City Writers Conference) if not more. I use my computer mostly for writing or critting other people's work, so that's writing related because it does help my writing skills.

It might be possible to deduct the mileage for driving to writing events, library events with writer instructors or to my critique group.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Some writing books, couple of whiteboards, some regular books, pens, notebooks... Probably a couple hundred quid at most. :)

I enrolled in a writing course too, but that was a gift from my father.

Reaction score
Don't forget the beard trimmer. Ever since your chinfungus got caught in the printer...ooh, nasty...

*shudders*

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! The printer!

I forgot about that. I consigned it to the garage as the blood splatters made me ill, and out of sight, out of mind...

Reaction score
It's easier if you just burn the words onto the page with your laser-vision these days, isn't it?

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
About a hundred bucks on how-to books. The laptop was a gift, so that's about it.

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
Hrm.

I checked my tax return from last year. I claimed:

A copy of Writer's Market
A copy of Strunk & White
Printer ink
Postage (contract return, esubs don't cost anything)
A package of post-it flags
A box of pens

Only the printer ink was dodgy, since I never did get around to subbing my science fiction. Everything I made money on was epub or web journalism.

Can't claim my computers, I have them for my day jobs.

I don't do shows/cons, mainly because the cost for just one of the big ones would be an entire royalty check. Honestly, it's also because I used to run those things and (at least in my industry) they're strictly money makers for the hosts. Any benefit to the attendee is calibrated to be just enough to ensure return custom.

I also don't do classes or workshops unless I can get them free through my publisher.

So, under a hundred bucks a year. Unless you want to amortize the last fifteen years of hustling my ass off learning to string words together in a manner that entertains others ;)

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Haven't really thought about it until now, but let's see

Laptop was a gift - hubs wanted his back. But if I hadn't started writing again, I wouldn't have hijacked his.
Bought a couple publishers/agents books a few years ago.
Postage/envelopes/paper/ink when I was sending out picture book subs by snail mail.

Internet connection we'd have regardless, so that's about it.

Oh, and a bag for my laptop - had to have something to pack it in when I fly.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I don't do shows/cons, mainly because the cost for just one of the big ones would be an entire royalty check. Honestly, it's also because I used to run those things and (at least in my industry) they're strictly money makers for the hosts. Any benefit to the attendee is calibrated to be just enough to ensure return custom.

The one I put on now is a nonprofit organization. We've calculated the costs and split them among the 24 seats available, so we hope to break even. So, if you are looking for a workshop that isn't set up to make the organizers money, check ours out!

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Over the years, I shudder to think but a LOT. My hubby bless him never says no to me. Of course, he has this little exotic car habit, so it will take me years to catch up to him!

Carlene

KatieT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shelfishlyaddicted.com
Great question!

It made me remember how, when I was a kid, I would tell my mom that I needed more notebooks and pens/pencils, and she would be absolutely flabbergasted that I had gone through my previous supply stash so quickly. Sometimes, she didn't believe me, so I would show her the used paper and pens and she'd just shake her head :)

Aside from that, I've spent thousands of dollars between college classes, books, a writing desk, notebooks, pens/pencils, a laptop, countless hours on writing-related websites and forums, software to create my blog, etc.

And it's been worth every single penny!

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
About $30 in software and $20 in a critique group. Oh, and Jenna's book. That's about it. I'm not too big a spender, and would possess lots of stationery, post-its, and my laptop even if I didn't write. I'm weird that way.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
I'd have a laptop whether I was writing or not, so that doesn't count. And I'm spoiled, and get to take writing classes for free at our amazing local writer's center. But...

$600 to attend a writer's conference in NYC

$150 on books about writing, rough estimate

$70-ish to join SCBWI

$50-ish on postage, manila envelopes and whatnot.

I'm debating whether to go to the SCBWI conference in LA this summer, take (and pay for) a class on revision, and/or join some other professional organizations.

Status
Not open for further replies.