Help! Do editors get mad if you're put through accidentally?

cress8

Registered
Reaction score
searching the world over for Calvin and Hobbes
Hi all--
Ack!! I just called a publication to find out the name of the specific editor I needed to query, thinking I'd just be put through to a receptionist for the info. Well, whoever answered the phone put me straight through to someone who appeared to be the editor. I can't say for sure because he did not identify himself by name, but he did seem a little annoyed.

The thing is, he told me to send the query to his own email address rather than the standard submission address they list on their site. I'm afraid if I shoot off this query to his specific email, he'll associate it with the annoying little writer who bugged him this morning. At the same time, I think I should take advantage of having his direct email. Should I say anything in the email along the lines of "sorry to have troubled you this morning" or just send the query? (If it wasn't really the editor, that comment would be out of place.) Or, should I just use the standard submission address so he can't associate me with the call?

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cress - I'd say send it to his direct email address. If the query is good, he'll forget that you annoyed him (if you *did* annoy him, that is!). If you use the standard submission it might just get lost in the shuffle. By having his direct email address, you could very well have a leg up on everyone else! No need to apologize...it wasn't your fault you were put through. Just let your good work speak for itself!

Good luck!

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
if he was annoyed at all it may have been with the girl who transferred your call, not you. And he gave you his address, so take advantage of it!

Sass- who has dealt with temps who don't listen.

Phot's Moll

Registered
Reaction score
If someone annoyed you, would you give them your direct e-mail address and ask them to send stuff in? It sounds to me as if this person is interested in reading your query.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I would most definitely send it to his direct email address. He could have been annoyed for a lot of reasons, many of which could have nothing to do with you directly. Maybe he just spilled some coffee on his shirt. Maybe he was expecting a highly-anticipated call and thought you were it. Maybe he was just about to head to the vending machine for a Snickers bar. By giving you his address, he showed that he is interested so I don't think you've got anything to lose by using it...except to avoid the electronic slush pile.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Send it to his direct email address and forget about the other stuff. I can't imagine that he was annoyed.

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else - and good luck with it!!

Cindy

LindaF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writeformagazines.com
Congrats, cress8!

We writers need to learn to go with our gut instincts. It's easy to be afraid of getting on an editor's bad side, but the fearless part of you will instinctively know that editors are people just like us, with their own likes, dislikes, fears, and desires. The editor who sounded annoyed may have been annoyed at the receptionist, at the fact that his magazine is going through downsizing, or at the fact that he didn't get his morning Starbucks. We tend to take an editor's every move personally, but chances are it's not about you.

Good luck!

Linda
--
Phone mentoring for writers: http://www.lindaformichelli.com/writers

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Update: Apparently he wasn't mad, because he replied already, AND he wants to see the article--at feature length! Woo Hoo! Thanks for your encouragement!
Wow, great! Be sure to give everyone in this thread rep points! ;)