Aspiring Directors?

London89

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, :hi:

I'm an aspiring screenwriter-director (and novelist!), just curious how many fellow AWers are also interested in filmmaking as well as writing?

:e2Order:

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
Me :hi:

I'm an aspiring director-writer as well. I tend to focus more on honing the writing thing first, however. It's my firm belief that you can have the most aesthetically pleasing film in the world, but if the story sucks...you get Avatar. :ROFL:

London89

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, there's two of us! Lol :D

Same, I think it'll be easier breaking into screenwriting first (Ha!), and then making the transition to writer-director. And I totally agree, sooo many bad movies could have been prevented if they'd just got the script right. IMO, it's the most important but sadly overlooked thing -- a great script!

Out of interest, have you been to film school?

whatsupbuttercup

Registered
Reaction score
Count me in as well! :) I love writing both novel and screenplays. I don't know but I personally find storytelling highly addicting.

Saul Rothman

Registered
Reaction score
I used to want to direct, but after really looking hard at my two shorts, I don't think I have enough talent to do a good script all the justice it deserves. I'd rather have a talented director improve on what I wrote.

Otoh, I'd rather direct it myself than have a crappy director get his hands on it!

Saulisa

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
Out of interest, have you been to film school?

No, never been to film school, although I wanna go before it's too late. In the mean time, I'm doing like Tarantino and going to films.

London89

Registered
Reaction score
I used to want to direct, but after really looking hard at my two shorts, I don't think I have enough talent to do a good script all the justice it deserves. I'd rather have a talented director improve on what I wrote.

Otoh, I'd rather direct it myself than have a crappy director get his hands on it!

Saulisa

I'm sure all successful and talented directors have some crappy first efforts under their belts. Don't give up -- practice makes perfect! :)

London89

Registered
Reaction score
No, never been to film school, although I wanna go before it's too late. In the mean time, I'm doing like Tarantino and going to films.

Me neither, but I really wish I had. Unfortunately I think it's too late (and too expensive!) for me to go back to school now. Oh well, some of the best directors never went to film school I guess...

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there,

I am interested in being a film director as well. I attended the Academy of Arts University for film studies. However, I am a writer first most....I wrote my first script at the age of 18 and I almost got it produced. But I wanted more life experience and now I am ready to get back into the saddle.