The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm in the mood for dessert.

See, I tried to open my last draft of WIP. I hadn't looked at it or any of my word processing files since March 1, shortly before I got sick. Meanwhile, MS switched from SkyDrive to OneDrive. My files weren't supposed to go away. OneDrive told me I had no files at all.

Lots of research later, I was ready to call MS support. I went back to write down the specifics of what OneDrive said. And there are my files...

Like I said earlier, why does everything have to be difficult? Fortunately, I have other backup that seems more reliable. Still, the "files, what files?" message did put a scare in me until I doublechecked my other backup... and the files suddenly materialized in OneDrive.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm in the mood for dessert.

See, I tried to open my last draft of WIP. I hadn't looked at it or any of my word processing files since March 1, shortly before I got sick. Meanwhile, MS switched from SkyDrive to OneDrive. My files weren't supposed to go away. OneDrive told me I had no files at all.

Lots of research later, I was ready to call MS support. I went back to write down the specifics of what OneDrive said. And there are my files...

Like I said earlier, why does everything have to be difficult? Fortunately, I have other backup that seems more reliable. Still, the "files, what files?" message did put a scare in me until I doublechecked my other backup... and the files suddenly materialized in OneDrive.

I'm confused just reading that. I don't have OneDrive or SkyDrive. Also, I don't lose any files. Maybe that's the trick?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused just reading that. I don't have OneDrive or SkyDrive. Also, I don't lose any files. Maybe that's the trick?

You're talking to someone who spilled coffee on her last computer, remember. Fortunately, I had an online backup system.

My new computer came with its own online backup, SkyDrive. But then at the end of February, MS changed the name to OneDrive. I don't know if there are any operational differences. It said my old documents would be available. When they weren't at first, I did panic until I confirmed my other backup was still around and uncorrupted.

My daughter once wrote a research paper but she lacked backup. One day the file had scrambled itself somehow and she couldn't even open it. We had to find an expert who was able to extract most of her main text. But her footnotes were all screwy.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
You're talking to someone who spilled coffee on her last computer, remember. Fortunately, I had an online backup system.

My new computer came with its own online backup, SkyDrive. But then at the end of February, MS changed the name to OneDrive. I don't know if there are any operational differences. It said my old documents would be available. When they weren't at first, I did panic until I confirmed my other backup was still around and uncorrupted.

My daughter once wrote a research paper but she lacked backup. One day the file had scrambled itself somehow and she couldn't even open it. We had to find an expert who was able to extract most of her main text. But her footnotes were all screwy.

I forgot how computer challenged you are. My bad.
icon10.gif

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I forgot how computer challenged you are. My bad.
icon10.gif

:ROFL:At least I don't have one of those old-folk jobbies that only have a few functions and have great big letters on screen. I'm not that confused or feeble, at least not yet.

In all fairness, the coffee accident was a function of my klutziness, not my lack of technological prowess. I did know that liquids did not belong on the inside of my machine.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

In all fairness, the coffee accident was a function of my klutziness, not my lack of technological prowess. I did know that liquids did not belong on the inside of my machine.

That's some impressive knowledge right there, Hathor.

Got off the phone with my mother, was complaining about my lack of sleep last night. Turns out it was all due to menopause. Lucky me! Early menopause, just what I always hoped for.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Wendy, great story! Nice fairy-tale feel to it.

Hathor, I'm glad you got your stuff back. Bizarrely, I have never had a file disappear/get corrupted in decades of computing, but that just makes me all the more terrified of backup issues.

I'm waiting to get my counter-signed agreement back while I do revisions. Can I call her "my agent" yet? <represses slightly hysterical celebratory noises> Also, those revisions are going to take a bit longer than I initially told her they would in my eagerness to please (three weeks). Work, ugh. I got a day off next week, so that should help.

CCC, I hope you hear soon about your revisions! Waiting is haaaard.

Becca, you're on fire! Wishing everybody more requests and fewer Rs.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Menopause does have its advantages, being an all-purpose excuse for about everything and allowing you to avoid that pesky monthly visitor.

My daughter as a teenager used to crack me up by saying she could hardly wait for menopause. It was hard not to say, "Better not happen until you give me at least one grandchild, kiddo."

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I hope you're all well. I'm just waiting on my professional critique. I sent it off this past weekend. Anyone know the standard expectation for how long something like this should take? I'm assuming a few weeks at least, right?

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Menopause does have its advantages, being an all-purpose excuse for about everything and allowing you to avoid that pesky monthly visitor.

My daughter as a teenager used to crack me up by saying she could hardly wait for menopause. It was hard not to say, "Better not happen until you give me at least one grandchild, kiddo."

My problem is that I hit menopause very early, and I still get the monthly visitor. Jealous?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Nope. Just trying to give you a smile or two while you are facing a difficult situation. If my attempt at gallows humor wasn't funny, I'm sorry. Have a cookie on me and a :Hug2:

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
Share the cookie? Another form R for me. Out of the 17 I have left open, maybe 2 I expect a response from soon, and the others are NRMN or looooong time--like 5 months--to a response. I'd really like to get one more request out of my post PitchWars group, or I'll be really unhappy with that stat: (35Q/1PR)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
That's great, Hip Hop! What did you think of the seminar itself? I've been tempted a few times but haven't tried one.

It wasn't bad, but I would have gotten more out of it if I'd been a newbie. I've been querying for a while, and had polished my first 10 pages to a high sheen already.

The personal critique was far more helpful than the webinar. That's been my problem. I don't know how many fulls I've sent out, and even an R & R, and NOBODY will give me feedback! (And that was what I signed up for, so I consider it money well-spent).

:)

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Another rejection for me today, too. On the plus side, I'm getting responses. I did dare to send to some pretty high-level agents, so it's not exactly surprising.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Slowly working my way through WIP2 and incorporating the plotlines and characters that I added later on. Just keep swimmin,' just keep swimmin.'

hathor said:
"Want to have lunch?...I thought you said we're going to have lunch...When are we going to eat?...I'm hungry"
Wait, have you been listening in at my house? I have *two* little guys who sound just like that.

Fuchsia - Glad you liked the story :) And YES, call her your agent! And tell us who it is!

krash - Booooo for Rs.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
New rejection. Out of chocolate. Send help.

Actually I submitted a short story out, so I'm feeling pretty good. That's still the best salve for rejection. Well, second best, after getting an acceptance.

DragonShark

Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:Hugs to all who need them.

Nothing new to report, on my end, and I won't be around much next week. I'm getting ready to go to CO to look at housing. Hubby's insisting on making the 20+ hour drive by car, instead of flying.

This... could get interesting.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Doc says I should be listed as critical now, is going to battle on Monday for me.

Here's hoping the blood test proves I actually need this stupid operation.

Yikes! I'll give you my share of chocolate and whisky making the rounds. I'll even forward you some Yukon Jack, which is probably quite medicinal. I'd offer you some of the vegan lasagna I'm making tonight, but I suppose I should find out if it's edible first.

Good luck house hunting, DS. I'd wish you luck on your long travels by car with children, but luck can only do so much. Oh well, maybe your kids will fall asleep or can be transfixed by electronics not around when mine were little. No Yukon Jack while in a moving car. Or am I the only one around here who imbibes this "feel no pain" elixir? Worth buying if only for the copy on the bottle. It's hilarious, particularly after you've taken a few swallows of the stuff.

Wendy, my little guy sounds like that, and he's 6'2" and semi-retired. I guess he's young at heart.

Just read through krash's comments on my WIP. All I have left are those from Liz. I do hope you ladies don't disagree too much. I'd get confused.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.