The Bragatorium

PaulLev

I was here 3 months from now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
PaulLevinson.net
My novelette, "The Chronology Protection Case" - inspired by Steven Hawking's "chronology protection conjecture" - was first published in Analog Magazine in September 1995. The novelette was a finalist for the Nebula and Sturgeon Awards, reprinted five times - including in the currently best-selling Mammoth Book of Time Travel - and made into an Edgar nominated radio play by Mark Shanahan. The novelette is cited in Paul J. Nahin's A Writer's Guide to the Real Science of Plausible Time Travel as the only recent treatment in science fiction of Hawking's conjecture, and has been on the syllabus of a writing class at the College of DuPage in Illinois.

It's now free on Wattpad: http://www.wattpad.com/story/11597492-the-chronology-protection-case

The novelette was also made into a short movie by Jay Kensinger in 2002. It was recut, with a new extended ending by Levinson and Kensinger, in 2013, and is currently available on iTunes (not quite for free, though): https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/chronology-protection-case/id740094338?uo=4&at=10l9ki

Last edited:

sirensix

Mediocre Sorceress
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm not much of a frequent flier around here, but I came back to these forums to find the thread where people helped with my query letter. Unfortunately I couldn't find it. I wanted to thank everyone, though, because I've now sold the book to Simon & Schuster. If anyone happens to remember me, thank you so much for your help!! <3

Ian Isaro

Registered
Reaction score
Late last year I sent off one of my older, more polished manuscripts (some of you might remember pieces of it from here) to the major publishers. I'd more or less forgotten about it and moved on to other projects.

This week, I got a response from Baen. It's not a rejection. It's far from an acceptance, but I've escaped their slush pile and received a personal email asking for more information. The most likely response is a rejection from an editor after a long wait, but I'm still encouraged.

Ian Isaro

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

To multiply my anxiousness, just today I got a request for a full from Ace/Roc. I'm happy that the slush readers in two of the major publishers thought my work was good enough to pass on, but I'm going to be really disappointed if/when I get rejections.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com

rmkrisby

Party & Write til I Die
Registered
Reaction score
Not the most exciting thing, or even brag worthy. But I can't believe where I am at: a story that is available for people to read. I finished something and put it out there in the world. My independent debut is also up for a Goodreads giveaway (here).

Also, congrats to everyone here. It's always good to see others having good news to share!

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Congrats, everyone! Exciting to hear about the contracts and requests from top publishers.

Willie -- I enjoyed "Variations." Great job creating so much context and suspense in such a short work.

Evan Henry

Short story-ist, editor for hire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blackshipbooks.com

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Abderian and OJCade! Also congrats Evan: you may not have sold the novel yet, but finishing one certainly IS a big deal and worth lots of :snoopy:

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
My urban fantasy novella "Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight" is available for pre-order!! AMAZON

I didn't think I'd go all goofy but I am feeling awfully-ugh- I dunno, proud? It's an unfamiliar feeling, cut me some slack!

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
100 writers – including Neal Asher, Elizabeth Bear, Gregory Benford, Tobias Buckell, Brenda Cooper, Kathryn Cramer, David Langford, Tanith Lee, Ken Liu, Nick Mamatas, Norman Spinrad, Ian Stewart, Rachel Swirsky, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Ian Watson – and me!

An anthology of sci-fi short stories from the award-winning Futures column in the science journal Nature. Launching at Loncon

naturefutures2.jpg