Magic (I hope that's clear enough...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Yes, magic. I've looked back ten or so pages in the section and haven't found anything particularly useful on this subject, but if anyone knows of a good thread, feel free to direct me to it.

So, systems of magic are my main focus. What systems do you know of, enjoy, use? What's the basis, whether from the real world or in your story/world? What's old hat to you? What do you wish there was more of? Etc.

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, magic. I've looked back ten or so pages in the section and haven't found anything particularly useful on this subject, but if anyone knows of a good thread, feel free to direct me to it.

So, systems of magic are my main focus. What systems do you know of, enjoy, use? What's the basis, whether from the real world or in your story/world? What's old hat to you? What do you wish there was more of? Etc.

Any system where there's tons of magic and everyone is using it is "old hat" to me. I mean, magic is supposed to be...uh...magic! If everyone is flying around tossing lightning bolts, where's the wonder?

The system I use in my WIP involves certain individuals drawing on the essence of their goddess to control the elements, exude light, fashion illusions, etc. Many of these individuals use this rare ability to: dig ditches, divert streams, execute a controlled burn, etc. and get paid for it like any other professional.

I'm trying to find practical uses for magic in my WIP in addition to the obvious military usage, and to keep this magic at a happy medium where it won't overshadow the characters or the world, but will occasionally step into the forefront and put on a show!

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
My "magic" system is human-based, in that everything is in direct relation to human physicality and/or consciousness.

No solid explanation for how it works is given, but many are offered.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
The best magic is no magic at all.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
There's magic and superstition, but not something to be controlled or summoned, and some characters are skeptics, while others play on superstition and charlatanism.

Then everything goes to hell when something unexplainable really happens.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
There's magic and superstition, but not something to be controlled or summoned, and some characters are skeptics, while others play on superstition and charlatanism.

Then everything goes to hell when something unexplainable really happens.

Well, that's not exactly what "no magic" implies(and I enjoy and write "fantasies" with no magic, though plenty of people like to argue genre categories), but it is a fun idea.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's not exactly what "no magic" implies(and I enjoy and write "fantasies" with no magic, though plenty of people like to argue genre categories), but it is a fun idea.
Well, usually the magic part at the end doesn't come up, but the characters act as if it's possible.

If the reader is also unsure if something magical just happened, that's good too. That's when you can decide to give them the fastball, or the knuckleball.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Well, usually the magic part at the end doesn't come up, but the characters act as if it's possible.

If the reader is also unsure if something magical just happened, that's good too. That's when you can decide to give them the fastball, or the knuckleball.

Not that I haven't encountered similar ideas before, but I like your style.

Faolmor

My eyes! It burns!
Registered
Reaction score
There is minimal magic in my world. It is known as "spiritic" (as opposed to "physic"). It functions more like a mind game, than actual magic (although there is a definite magical element).

It basically functions by the sorcerer making their victim believe that they have the ability to do something to them. This belief aids the actual magic. The end result is a then a combination of self-inflicted damage and true magic.

Does this make sense?

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Since you asked for our systems, well, the magic in my shared fantasy setting is a bit like dempsey's. There's no background, omnipresent "magic" force; it's created at all times by humans and other mammals. If there are no people nearby, there's no magic. Some humans create more than others, while others have more control over it than others. It works by directly affecting reality. Thus, the type of effect is limited by the wielder's ability to comprehend it and the magnitude of effect is limited by his ability to generate his own magic and/or control the magic generated by others... and also by distance according to an inverse-square law.

The gods in this world hide outside normal physical space and feed off the magic generated by their believers.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
All the magic in my stories comes from divine intervention. The very few who can manipulate magic at will are just those who happen to have a gift for it and are also very pious. Ask for something to happen and it'll probably happen, if it lies within the skills of the asker, and then thank the gods afterward, especially the goddess of witchcraft.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
My stories, based loosely on Ojibwa (American Indian) mythology, make use of elemental "medicine" (I shy away from the word "magic," because in this world, it's not considered magic, it's just another form of power). Since the nature spirits are mostly related to natural things, then the medicine is too, though I often categorize it with European elemental terms (earth, air, fire, water and related things like stone, sand, ice, wood, lightning, etc.).

The way medicine is usually obtained is, you're either born with it (meaning you have some supernatural lineage), or you're granted it (permanently, from a patron spirit, or just on an "as needed" basis). Those who don't have medicine but want to use it must "ask" for it from the nature spirits, who may not choose to give it, so it's sometimes unreliable; also, the more one uses medicine, especially without properly asking or thanking for it (or in a manner which the spirits find offensive or harmful), the less likely the spirits are to be generous enough to loan it. Also, thanking a spirit for lending its power is strongly encouraged. The spirits are "people" just like everyone else, after all. They can be influenced, and even coerced, but the latter can be a bad thing (see below).

There are means by which to manipulate people by utilizing some part of their person (similar to the stereotypical voodoo doll), and of course there's lots of emphasis on the power of dreams, written symbols, songs, dances, etc.

There are minor spirits (mostly nature spirits), and major spirits, the latter of whom often choose certain people to become the patron of and grant powers to. Meaning, one person might have a bear spirit as his patron, another person might have the North Wind, etc. The powers a person gets depend heavily on the spirit which favors them. These spirits are "acquired" usually through a dream or vision.

There's also a strong emphasis on equal exchange--you have to pay for what you get, and what you cast out might come back at you eventually (e. g., the more powerful you become and the more easily you can force a spirit to do your bidding, the greater your chances of ending up regretting it)--and if this isn't followed then great imbalance can occur.

That's the magic system I use, at least. :D I don't really care for wand waving and funny hats and stuff like that, though I do have people shaking rattles and wearing feathers...

Status
Not open for further replies.