Providing Valuable and Useful Editorial Feedback

Writergirl02

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working with some contracted writers for my web page, and although some produce great articles, others are just not really meeting the guidelines set out for them. Being fairly new at the whole concept of working with contracted writers, I'm just curious as to what standard practices are.

They were found based on their existing blogs and expertise in the topic, but I guess some of them just aren't very experienced at writing the types of articles we're needing. We provide them with standard guidelines and a variety of formatting templates to base their articles on. We've also been trying to give feedback on a monthly basis, but I'm not sure we're I'm willing to take into consideration a learning curve, but what can I do to help them progress?

What is the most helpful form of feedback I can provide to them? What have you all found to be most helpful in your early freelance writing careers?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Being fairly new...
Give it time. In a few months you'll be sending out rejections with no ill feelings. :)

And yes, the answer is to simply decline the submission. Not everyone can write every topic or slant out there. In fact, until you reject 95% or more, you're really not doing your readers any favors. They want the cream of the crop. You should be supplying it.

Jeff

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to be nice about those rejections, include a sentence stating why. I've also seen check boxes used to good effect. You could have things like doesn't meet style guidelines, format not used, topic not clear, etc. Rejecting those that aren't up to par is better for your readers and your writers. It is also easier on you that having to request numerous rewrites.