Networking

Y.L. Prinzel

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing earth shattering here, Twitter, LinkedIn, insurance conventions (maybe just me personally :)), tradeshows, webmaster forums, direct emails to local businesses. Becoming a member of Toastmasters and small business networking groups locally can help too. I'm friends with many small business owners and that brings many referrals.

Good luck :)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I keep trying, but I feel like I'm trying to empty the ocean with a bucket. I have business cards which I distribute whenever possible, I go to conferences when I can afford them, I goof around on facebook and now twitter... I think I need a niche or something. :(

Y.L. Prinzel

Registered
Reaction score
A niche definitely helps you to focus your efforts. What kind of gigs are you trying to get?

Also, just distributing business cards willy-nilly and goofing around with social media may get you some bites, but a focused effort will lead to more work.

Is there anything you are particularly knowledgeable about that you could work into a niche?

I keep trying, but I feel like I'm trying to empty the ocean with a bucket. I have business cards which I distribute whenever possible, I go to conferences when I can afford them, I goof around on facebook and now twitter... I think I need a niche or something. :(

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
A niche definitely helps you to focus your efforts. What kind of gigs are you trying to get?

Also, just distributing business cards willy-nilly and goofing around with social media may get you some bites, but a focused effort will lead to more work.

Is there anything you are particularly knowledgeable about that you could work into a niche?

I literally take a bite out of ALL the pies. I write for magazines ranging in genre from dog lovers to parenting magazines to trade mags to outdoorsy publications. I write fiction in several genres, although I am unpublished, I write poetry, some of which has been published, and I do editing work when it comes my way.

ETA: I'm a mess. ;)

Eric San Juan

Boxy But Safe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsanjuan.com
In "real life" (offline) a good deal of networking comes via my job. I meet a lot of people, get to know folks, and have had occasional work or offers come my way thanks to it.

Online I just find communities I like and participate. That's it. Be fun, be friendly, be a part of the community, and sometimes good things come your way. People get to know you, maybe (hopefully!) they recognize your talents, and maybe they reach out to you with a job or offer, or can connect you with someone who has one. I've had a few decent gigs come my way by that route.

I don't get exceedingly active in marketing myself, but that's largely because it's too easy to spend all day doing that and no time actually WORKING. So I stick with the fun stuff - doing it for the fun, not for what might come of it - hope for the best, and spend the rest of my personal time trying to be productive.

Y.L. Prinzel

Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, maybe not a mess--maybe just sowing some wild writing oats ;) If you do that and you create enough of an income to live, then that is fantastic--you get to indulge your multiple personalities without putting limits on yourself be sticking mainly to one niche.

If it's not working and your income is not enough or is taking a nosedive, I would definitely start identifying which niche you are most qualified for and, hopefully, can stand writing about and then focusing your marketing efforts :)

Eric has it right too, in my opinion people hire writers they want to work with because they like them more than those who just look good on paper.

I literally take a bite out of ALL the pies. I write for magazines ranging in genre from dog lovers to parenting magazines to trade mags to outdoorsy publications. I write fiction in several genres, although I am unpublished, I write poetry, some of which has been published, and I do editing work when it comes my way.

ETA: I'm a mess. ;)

MamaLou

Banned
Reaction score
My niche was travel writing but with the economy hitting magazines like they are, I've started expanding a bit. I've done two celebrity interviews (though the one with Patrick Dempsey was for an in-flight as a destination article) and I'm working the sports angle since I have a history as a sports writer. Also, I've started pitching historical articles related to destinations so it's a travel article, sort of, but it will be a history article, primarily.

I pitched the historical article today to a magazine for a historical society but the idea came from a trip I took last year for some travel articles.

I'm comfortable with these three or so.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I second -- or third? -- the Toastmasters suggestions.

I also don't see how Facebook is helpful in a concrete way. I've began getting nibbles on LinkedIn (just this week, actually), so that one is starting to look better. I've received the most benefit -- as far as online networking goes -- through Twitter and AW.

In person? So far Toastmasters. Second, the conferences I go to twice a year. Those are only second because I've always been kind of hesitant to "impose" and give anyone my business cards. That's been changing, though, so I have no doubt I'll keep doing better with those. :)

Hmmm...Maybe with giving out the cards, I'll have more luck expanding into another area...

jfleming

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mochawriter.com
I have a Myspace, Facebook and Twitter page. But the most success I've had with getting work has been on a social networking site called I See Color.

I would like to do more face-to-face networking, but I don't live that close to any big cities. If anyone knows of any events in or near Northeast GA or Upstate SC; let me know! :D