Getting your novel published: Which country?

Scott Kaelen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorscottkaelen.wordpress.com
I did look through the stickies in this section of the forum, but couldn't find any info on this (I'm half-blind, so don't thrash me, k?)

To the point: I'm a long way from trying to get my first book published, but when the time comes, how does one choose in which country or countries to get their novel published?

It seems logical to me (as an English speaker and writer) to try and get published in North America, purely because the potential for sales there is much higher than in Britain (Britain having a smaller population than most individual States).

But then, the other day when I was talking to my girlfriend's niece, in German (I'm British but live in Germany), she asked me where would I eventually be selling my novel. I said it would have to be an English-speaking country because my literary skills aren't good enough to rewrite my book in German. She said, "Schade." (Shame). But that got me to thinking: Why should publishing your novel be limited to one country? I realise about publisher's rights, and that you can't get your work published by another publisher while you're locked into one contract, but outside of that how feasible is it to try for multiple countries when putting your manuscript out there?

I have a fairly good idea that having a novel translated into another language - and done well - can be costly. I also know that the subtle nuances of a writer can be lost in translation if not done by an established expert in the field.

Any experiences or thoughts on this?

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Your agent should retain foreign rights in your initial contract. Then they can sell the book directly to a German publisher, for example, who takes care of the translation.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
What she said

Basically, when you sign with a UK or US pub, they will ask for certain rights, usually either US or UK English or World English

If this is the case, you retain rights to translated works (

For instance, Orbit are pubbing my book sin the US, the UK and Aus. A Turkish publisher bought the rights to publish it in Turkey, in Turkish ( they paid for the translation). Which is more money for me (yay!) because they paid in addition to Orbit.

So if you sell to a UK or US publisher, you can still sell the rights (yourself, or through an agent) to a German publisher for their translation, which they should pay for (again this will all depend on contract).

Bottom line, with the right contract, if you sell to the US there is nothing to say you can't sell to a German pub for translation, which should cost you, personally, nothing, though you may wish to check their other translations if this is going to be important to you.

Scott Kaelen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks eqb and Mr Flibble for the info. Good to know we can sell the rights to publishers in different countries depending on the language.
If I understand correctly, selling the rights to a U.S. publisher for World English would mean they have the say on where it gets distributed within North America, Britain and Australia.

Similarly, would a German publisher holding the rights to the World German translation cover Germany, Austria and Switzerland?

Also, how likely is it that, if I were to choose a UK publisher, they would distribute in the US as well? Or vice versa? It still seems like a much more lucrative decision to try for a North American publisher, purely due to potential sales. I'd hate to get tied into a UK publishing deal that didn't also publish in America and/or Australia.

Again, I have to stress I have no experience in this yet. I just can't imagine a UK publisher having much success in sales across the pond. Maybe I'm wrong. If anyone else is reading this, who entered into a contract with a UK publisher, maybe they could share their experiences with sales in North America and/or Australia?

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Similarly, would a German publisher holding the rights to the World German translation cover Germany, Austria and Switzerland?

That will depend on your publisher and contract, but tbh I've no idea!

Also, how likely is it that, if I were to choose a UK publisher, they would distribute in the US as well? Or vice versa? It still seems like a much more lucrative decision to try for a North American publisher, purely due to potential sales. I'd hate to get tied into a UK publishing deal that didn't also publish in America and/or Australia.

As above. But if your publisher only publishes in (for instance) the UK, either make sure that your contract only specifies the UK (so you retain North America rights, which you can then exploit with another pub) or that they have a distribution deal with a publisher in the US

I just can't imagine a UK publisher having much success in sales across the pond. Maybe I'm wrong. If anyone else is reading this, who entered into a contract with a UK publisher, maybe they could share their experiences with sales in North America and/or Australia?

Some do, some don't. (I'll let you know when I get my figures...but my pub isn't strictly UK, it is UK/US) As above, some UK publishers have deals with pubs that operate in the US to distribute there, some publish there directly.

Basically it all comes down to the publisher and your contract. Don't sign away rights that your publisher will not use -- ie French rights if they won't publish/distribute in France. This is where an agent will REALLY help.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Some UK publishers e.g. Gollancz, take world rights and then sell those rights themselves. Some UK publishers e.g. Solaris have US distribution deals. In other cases where you have retained the rights, you (or your agent) are free to sell those rights. This is exactly the sort of thing that goes on at the big book fairs like Frankfurt and London.

Scott Kaelen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
More good information, thanks guys! :)
Actually, waylander, I was going to use the erstwhile David Gemmell, who is and always will be my absolutely favourite fantasy author, as an example. I may be wrong, but I don't think his books sold comparatively well in the US compared to UK/EU sales?

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Possibly not (I've heard it said from a reliable source that no fantasy writer sells equally well in the US and the UK at the same time -- well as in well for the territory, not equivalent sales as. like you say, the population is vastly different. Not sure how true that is)

Thing is, it's not just a matter of releasing a book in a territory. It's also -- does the book fit the market in the US better than the UK? Is it more the sort of thing that one market likes over the other? For instance, Pratchett sells like gangbusters in the UK, but isn't among the most popular in the US. (the books still sell, mind, just not in the same ratio as over here). Same with several big named authors that are say popular in the US, but not so much in the UK. That doesn't mean it isn't worth using those rights, just that it's something to be aware of.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good to know we can sell the rights to publishers in different countries depending on the language.
If I understand correctly, selling the rights to a U.S. publisher for World English would mean they have the say on where it gets distributed within North America, Britain and Australia.

This link might be helpful: Rights: What They Mean and Why They're Important.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Dittoing all the above and adding:
World German rights would include Austria and Switzerland, yes.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal