So what's for dinner?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Grilled shrimp, big fat ones served with lemons. Yum! Plus grilled mixed vegetables, and salad. That's the way to diet, if I may say so fruitself.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Gwen Salad
(named for my sister-in-law who got the recipe out of a newspaper and then I altered it to be easier to make and less full of fat. Also to replace the mustard dressing. Ick.)

Serves 2 (as an entrée, or more as a side salad)

1 5 ounce bag mixed baby greens
1 can of beets (not pickled!)
A sweet vinaigrette dressing.( I LURRRVE Nordstrom Dark Cherry Basalmic Vinaigrette, but as that’s so very, very, very expensive we usually use low fat raspberry and walnut vinaigrette)
Goat cheese (I use an 11 ounce log which makes about 12 rounds)
Pecans
Plain bread crumbs
Crunchy bread

Heat oven to ~350 F
Put foil or parchment paper on a baking sheet
Grind up pecans and bread crumbs, about 2:1 ratio.
Slice the Goat Cheese into rounds
Press the rounds into the pecan mixture until each entire round is coated.
Place on the baking sheet and put in the oven
Shake the salad into salad bowls
Dice the beets and sprinkle on top.
When the goat cheese is sizzling in the oven, remove and place as many rounds as you wish on top of your salad.
Add dressing.

Serve with warm crunchy bread—either straight out of the oven, or warmed over, or toasted.

Bliss.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Lamb chop marinated in gin, lemon & green onion w/a baked potato and tomato.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Kalbi, romaine-celery salad and leftover Thai butternut squash soup.

And Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Oreos with milk for dessert. :D

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, ooh! Hubby bought a new pellet-fired cooker and smoked a whole chicked with a handmade rub, and new potatoes. It was awesome! Tomorrow, he's making corned beef! Woot!

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea yet. I've eaten out several days this week, and just came home from work to discover that apparently the only things in my fridge right now are yogurt, butter, oranges and cheese. Which don't really add up to a meal, esp. since I had yogurt for breakfast and plan to have it for breakfast again tomorrow. And most of what's in my freezer is fruit to go in my breakfast yogurt. I think it may be macaroni for dinner tonight.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm using stuff up. Went ahead and cooked this morning since everyone will be in and out and can fix their own plates whenever today. Baked tilapia w/lime wedges, Brussels sprouts, box mac and cheese, canned three bean salad, fruit salad with fresh and canned fruit.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
made-up pasta dish with what I had in the house -- penne tossed with sauteed spinach, garlic and tomatoes, plus pine nuts, feta cheese and parmesan cheese.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Red beans and rice, home made. Been wanting it since I was in New Orleans, and finally was brave enough to try. Not bad for a first attempt. I didn't have bell pepper, my bay leaves were about 50 years old (didn't use any), and we didn't care for the andouille from my usual store. The smoked hocks couldn't have had less meat on them if I had specially selected them. But the overall flavor was good, and I used pinto beans.

Next time: diced ham, get a bell pepper, get some fresh bay leaves, and use sweet Italian instead of andouille.

MM

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
Going to a potluck! I made mini-oreo cheesecakes with chocolate ganache topping to bring along.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
My husband hates scallops, but he's away. My daughters hate scallops but they've got clubs tonight. I bought 10 quid worth of giant, succulant scallops, which I'm going to lightly cook in a saffron cream sauce and pour onto two slices of rustic white bread--and then I'll eat the entire lot! And I'm going to eat this on my own, without arguing kids or other distractions, in front of the tele, watching the Poldark episode I missed. With a glass or three of Chardonnay. Bliss.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
My husband hates scallops, but he's away. My daughters hate scallops but they've got clubs tonight. I bought 10 quid worth of giant, succulant scallops, which I'm going to lightly cook in a saffron cream sauce and pour onto two slices of rustic white bread--and then I'll eat the entire lot! And I'm going to eat this on my own, without arguing kids or other distractions, in front of the tele, watching the Poldark episode I missed. With a glass or three of Chardonnay. Bliss.
Huh. I love scallops, but I never had them on bread before. Sounds like the bread would go well with the sauce though.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I love scallops, but I never had them on bread before. Sounds like the bread would go well with the sauce though.

LOL! The foods snobs would probably tie me to the stake! But I love fresh and rustic white bread (not supermarket sliced but proper bakery bread)as a base for my scallops and since my hubs isn't around to turn up his nose (he might hate scallops but they must be eaten the 'right' way, y'know!)...I'm going to enjoy every single beauty!

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I have a job where I am in a hotel this week, so I have been mastering the art of hotel-cookery. Tonight is ceviche:

1/2 lb yellowfin tuna steak
1 deli container of pico de gallo (maybe 1.5 cups)
The pico looked a bit shy on tomatoes and cilantro so like 20 cherry tomatoes and a handful of fresh cilantro cut up and added
4 limes
avocado

Take the tuna (or salmon or whatever else) and mince, cover with lime juice. I like mine raw-ish, more Peruvian than gringo-mex, so I cut 1/2 finger-sized pieces and cured for an hour in the hotel fridge.

Drain the tuna, toss with the pico, add a bit of fresh lime and salt to taste as you mix.

Cube an avocado and top the ceviche with it.

No cooking and maybe 20 minutes hands-on, and tasty. I'm at a Homewood and downstairs they have spaghetti, meatballs, garlic bread, etc. and I try to go low-carb, plus this is fresh and tons of veggies in it.