Grandma Susie's House of FUNNERS 'N FLOOZIES (Volume IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who's making classical guitars. It's his new hobby, which might turn into a decent side business.

He bought a rosewood board, then couldn't find anyone to slice it thin for the sides and back. I found a cabinet maker with a bandsaw, that has plenty of experience doing this for other luthiers.

He wanted some hedge wood, because he likes the yellow tone as trim. I found some today, for free.

Can you tell that I'm angling for a nice steak dinner? :D I'd even let him grill it!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are quite a few guitar and fiddle makers around here. If your friend gets stuck I can probably find a name or two he could call. Most of those guys seem to like to talk about their craft and willing to share what they know with other makers. It's like a little fraternity. Seems like there might even be a guitar making summer camp type thing around here somewhere.

Or he could visit the custom shop at Gibson.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Yesterday it was time to go through the food cans and check the expiration dates. Actually, from the number of expired cans I found it was about a year late. But I did it and will haul them to the dump soon.

This task was brought to you by the letter X and the number 4, because some cans will explode when they reach a certain age.

It is not pretty, it is a mess and, worse, must be dealt with.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Oh boy, he would love that! We have a big bluegrass fanbase around here and many local craftsmen and yes...they do love to 'share'. :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This task was brought to you by the letter X and the number 4, because some cans will explode when they reach a certain age.

It is not pretty, it is a mess and, worse, must be dealt with.

It's a long story, but I give Darling Daughter #1 a can of peaches every year for her birthday. She saves them. I keep telling her they are going to blow up one of these days. She's got about 14 years worth.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh boy, he would love that! We have a big bluegrass fanbase around here and many local craftsmen and yes...they do love to 'share'. :)

There is a locally produced TV show here called Tennessee Crossroads. They do segments on craftsmen, old country stores, weird food festivals, history stuff, etc. They've done some segments on guitar and fiddle makers; I'll see if I can find a few links.

I'm actually watching it now. They just did a segment on a foundry that's been around since 1840 and now they're doing a segment on coke ovens that used to be in the area (coke make from coal, not Coke or the coke you snort).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
'ello House of Everything Fun! :) Did we miss ac's 42K super + posts? That's.just.wrong! Par-tay at his house :D :Cake:s :TheWave:s :Guitar:s and :Cake:s involved :) prelicked for those w. discerning taste! :)

Where yah find that gorgeous pic. of meh, ac? I was a looker in my younger days, huh. lol.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a "like" from Neil Gaiman on Facebook. Okay, it's not much, but it's the highlight of my dreary day. My second big thrill is sitting here making out my grocery list.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I can draw her as a stick figure with a stick cake...

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Here you go.

AnimalReplica.jpg

wow...

Ugh. >.<

So this new house required getting a new phone number, because we changed exchanges, right? Only I've gotten about 3 phone calls from people looking for a pet store.

Apparently the pet store used to have the number we now have. So I'm assuming the store closed down. Anyway, this is meant to be a private number, but in about a month of being here, we've had 3 or 4 calls from people looking for a pet store!

As if that wasn't annoying enough, I just had a telemarketer ring up, trying to sell something to the pet store.

I told him we weren't a pet store, yet he still tried to sell me something. Gah!

I hate phones so much. Unless it's an emergency, don't call me. Ever. HATE PHONES.

/rant

*also hates phones*

Star-Wars-meets-Muppets-and-Sesame-Street-3.jpg

Somewhere in a Wal-Mart far, far away. Or, possibly just down the street . . .

"Elmo wants a hug, Darth Vader."

"I . . . I can't resist . . . can't resist the power of cuddly cuteness."

"Elmo loves Darth Vader!"

"You are my son, Elmo."

"Oh, great! Now could you stop choking me? Elmo doesn't love being strangled to death."

it's impossible to read Elmo dialog and not hear his voice....

Tell the callers you have a special on chihuahua puppies. "They are great either roasted or on the barby."

and I have never thought about what Cliff sounds like... he would have an Australian accent, wouldn't he?! :) tee hee!

*crawls into thread*

Chocolate... Must.have.choco...

*expires from lack of chocolateness*

OH MY GAWD! WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO? somebody! Get the skwirrel some choco... oh wait... I could give her this... or I could eat it... conundrum...

BUT I CAN'T LET MY FRIEND SKWIRREL DIE!!!

*self-sacrifices choocolit*

I just got a "like" from Neil Gaiman on Facebook. Okay, it's not much, but it's the highlight of my dreary day. My second big thrill is sitting here making out my grocery list.

You're my new hero! ;)

long day was long... I went and got the last of the crap out of my apt. More than I expected, and cleaning supplies are heavy!! But I'm glad to have my stuff out, to have turned in my keys, and to be done with having two apartments.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't think my grocery list would impress anyone. Was it the pound cake or tuna that did it?

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Cliff, the phone problem could be worse. You could have a number different by one from Wal-mart.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
LOL.

Actually, my mobile phone must differ in number by 1 from some guy... For a while there I was getting phone calls about a car for sale. I've never owned a car, nor driven.

And lately I've got some very suspicious txts from someone I don't know. Apparently the guy with almost-my-number has a lot of friends!

The worst part about phones, though, is that whenever they ring, I'm doing something in another room, and have to run to get the phone. Hate that. Especially as it's hardly ever anything interesting.

Nobody I know rings me, apart from family. And then it's either dad wanting to talk for an hour, or mum asking if she needs to bring home bread and milk.

Most of the time it's a wrong number, a telemarketer, or I miss the call because the phone doesn't ring for long enough.

Stupid invention.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
The little post office that I used to work from had a number ending in 2233 and the city office was 2333. We had a lot of wrong numbers.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the links AC. If I ever get him on-line, I'll show him these segments.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not down; it was just an uneventful day.

Status
Not open for further replies.