• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How might you describe this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

srgalactica

Registered
Reaction score
My MMC in my fantasy novel has white hair. This is uncommon, but not unheard of for people of his species. He's in his mid twenties.

I'm trying to make sure that when describing him from another characters POV, the reader won't be thinking of old persons white hair. I tried to think of things to compare it to, but that's very cliche (white as snow, white as cotton) any ideas?

And if this is in the wrong forum section, I apologize. Thanks in advance!

RobertEvert

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertevert.com
My MMC in my fantasy novel has white hair. This is uncommon, but not unheard of for people of his species. He's in his mid twenties.

I'm trying to make sure that when describing him from another characters POV, the reader won't be thinking of old persons white hair. I tried to think of things to compare it to, but that's very cliche (white as snow, white as cotton) any ideas?

And if this is in the wrong forum section, I apologize. Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure I can be of any help. White as snow was the first thing that came to my mind. And you're right, it's a cliche.

What else is white? Milk? As white as the unwritten page?

I suppose I would approach it from a slightly different angle. How about talking about how his hair is so white that it reflects light? Eh.... let me think about this.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Dig deep.

Lots of things are white besides snow and cotton.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Just bring up that he's young and has white hair. I don't think a reader would tag his as old by just the description of white hair.

melindamusil

Registered
Reaction score
Milky white
Pearly white
White like opals
White like fresh daisies
Baby powder-white
White/clear/bright as crystals
White as the moon/lunar white
Bleached white
White like the clouds in the sky
White like a young lamb
Glowing white

sargeorge

Learning to tie my shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose I would approach it from a slightly different angle. How about talking about how his hair is so white that it reflects light?

True. In general white hair on a young person would be more heathly looking than old peoples hair,which can be dull and brittle ( there are exceptions as i've seen ladies in their 70s with beautiful hair.) You could have someone touch it and describe how soft and luxurious it is.

srgalactica

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

You guys have been very helpful! I really appreciate it. This has given me lots to think about.

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
You could simply have your character think that his white hair made a startling contrast with his young face.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
I have a young man with white hair in my current project, too. :D

As long as you mention his age, that should be enough to fill in the mental image for readers. I don't think you really need to explain that his hair is not brittle, thin, or whatever connotation you're getting from "old person."

Also, keep in mind that the cause of the white hair will affect the type of whiteness it has. An albino person's hair, e.g. Stephen Thompson, looks different from a person whose hair has gone white prematurely, e.g. Anderson Cooper.

srgalactica

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Leahzero. Good point about the cause of the white hair. In this case, it's just a natural hair color for people of his species. It's about as rare as red hair is for humans, though.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Old people can have hair as white as anything you might want to name. I would suggest just setting up that white is a normal lifelong hair color for his type.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Leahzero. Good point about the cause of the white hair. In this case, it's just a natural hair color for people of his species. It's about as rare as red hair is for humans, though.

Describe it like you would describe a red-head here, then. Except with white, of course ;)

A bad, fast example: The assistant was a tall silver-head with blue eyes, and he paced around the lobby as if waiting for a train.

eta: it may take another sentence later to fill in exactly what a silver-head is, btw. Or a different sort of sentence altogether. I'm just saying treat it as if it's like being a red-head.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
If you have to strain to find an appropriate comparison, analogy, simile or metaphor for anything, chances are it will show. Or, phrased another way, if you have to strain to find it, you probably don't need it.

caw

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Though he was young, his hair was white. He was born that way.

Well, that's not the most eloquent, but I think this might be a situation where a little bit of telling would be okay.

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
This reminds me of a novel I read where the lead female character, after a lot of stress, develops a very distinctive white stripe in her otherwise dark hair. I think in that instance, the stripe was compared to a scar.

But in your case--something as simple as "His hair was soft, wavy, and white, a not unusual color among the ____ (species)." I'm in my mid-twenties and I have some white roots coming up and a few straight-up white strands. I always notice them more in bathrooms. I guess bathroom lights and mirrors cause them to reflect.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
:welcome: srgalactica!

My question-how important is his white hair? Sometimes physical descriptions are not all that important.

That said, I bet if he's young and has "white" hair, then Richard is right on with platinum blond.

Love the shades of white Melinda provided as well.

Just make sure that description is essential to your story.

srgalactica

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again guys! So many great ideas.

Susan, in answer to your question, his hair color isn't important to the story, however, he does eventually become the FMC's love interest, so I figure his appearance would require a bit of description from her POV. I tend to like to pick one or two physical features that get a very brief description in my books. Since his hair is rather uncommon and it's something my FMC would definitely notice, I thought it deserved a mention in the scene where the FMC first meets the MMC.

I think I will end up going with a simple description and not strain for the metaphor as was suggested.

gell214

Registered
Reaction score
he does eventually become the FMC's love interest, so I figure his appearance would require a bit of description from her POV.

I don't know if this is what you planned to do, but maybe you can use your FMC's POV to describe the white hair? Since the color is only made worth mentioning because of her, then maybe it is her part to notice the white hair. This way, the readers would imagine the white hair in her eyes. Something like: she never would have thought this guy worth a second glance, except that his hair was, despite his youth, white. It gave him the look of having wisdom beyond his years, she thought. Just an example :D. Hope this makes sense :).

TheWordsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Most commonly, young people with white hair are referred to as having platinum hair. But, as others have already noted, you could simply establish that your character is young and then refer to his hair as being "white/pale/fair". You might even reference the fact that his hair was as white as the day he was born or something of that nature.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Thanks again guys! So many great ideas.

Susan, in answer to your question, his hair color isn't important to the story, however, he does eventually become the FMC's love interest, so I figure his appearance would require a bit of description from her POV. I tend to like to pick one or two physical features that get a very brief description in my books. Since his hair is rather uncommon and it's something my FMC would definitely notice, I thought it deserved a mention in the scene where the FMC first meets the MMC.

I think I will end up going with a simple description and not strain for the metaphor as was suggested.

It sounds like the hair color is not important at all. I'd leave it out then, as we tend to come up with our own mental images anyway.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When pure white hair is mentioned in a young person, I immediately thing of an albino, in which case there will be a suite of distinct physical characteristics lacking pigmentation. In your world I presume you are wanting this person to have a lack of hair pigmentation without the other characteristics of albinism.

srgalactica

Registered
Reaction score
Susan, it's important in that it is very distinct. I think it's worth noting :)

Neuro, you're correct. Albinism isn't what it is. I'm thinking white like Drizzt.

Status
Not open for further replies.