What are you reading?

Tnonk

Registered
Reaction score
Currently finishing up 'Alas Babylon' by Pat Frank. I've read it a number of times before, it's on of my favorites of the genre.

I've been on a post apocalyptic kick for the last couple of months re-reading a lot of my favorites.
I've read the 3 volumes of S.M. Stirlings 'Island in the Sea of Time ' series.
I followed those up with the next three 'Emberverse' series starting with 'Dies the Fire', then the next 3 in the series after that.

Before starting 'Alas Babylon' I re-read 'Daybreak 2250 AD' by Andre Norton for the first time in over 20 years. It took me back a long way.
I'll be putting the others I pulled aside after I finish Babylon, I feel the fire starting to burn again. I'll read some more after I put a few words on paper.

Adrian

jasonguinn789

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys...I just finished "Hocus Pocus," by Kurt Vonnegut--which is really excellent--and am reading both Stephen Kings, "Wolves of the Calla," and Christopher Moore's "Blood Sucking Fiends."

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm headin' out on the trail for a coupla few days and will be taking with me ...

Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy

Hombre - Elmore Leonard

Heart Songs - Annie Proulx

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
"The Uncoupling" by Meg Wolitzer ... but I'm only about 80 pages in and am not going any further. Back to the library for that one. Just not interesting, not the premise, not the story ... picked it up because it got a good review somewhere but it's not for me.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Neil Gaiman - Anansi Boys.

It's breaking a lot of what I thought were rules and it works. Shows how much I know :)

Tnonk

Registered
Reaction score
The Lost Continent by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
I had every intention of getting back to work on my writing instead of continuing on my post apocalyptic binge.
--sigh--
Maybe after Burroughs, it's a short read.
It's one of his earlier works but it's delightfully archaic Burroughs style.

Adrian

Dix

So, is that a no?
Registered
Reaction score
Have just begun RAGE, number 19 in the Alex Delaware series by Jonathan Kellerman.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Tnonk, I have a delightfully obscure one for you to procrastinate with: Darkness and Dawn. (I forget the author, but it's from the 1st half of the last century). Fun, a bit overwrought, and quite clever.

Of course you've read On the Beach and Earth Abides, right? Right? :D

I have a bookmarked link to post-apoc books and short stories at home. Let me know if you'd like it. Post-apoc is my favorite.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on book three of the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. This one is called Courageous. It's a pretty good series.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Bullett by LKH. I seriously don't know why I bother anymore. Just plain boring, absolutely nothing happened.

And I am in the middle of a debut novel by Alden Bell, The Reapers Are The Angels. It is a zombie novel, but one more about the human condition than people being ripped apart by zombies.

It has a few things I am not fond of. Present tense, which I usually find hard to get into. And no quotes for dialogue. I find it pretentious and distracting, and have never finished a book with no quotation marks. But honestly, I am really enjoying,the book, and hardly notice either or these. Beautiful writing, interesting story, very believable if not entirely likeable main character.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Tnonk, I have a delightfully obscure one for you to procrastinate with: Darkness and Dawn. (I forget the author, but it's from the 1st half of the last century). . . . .
George Allan England, circa 1912 - 1914. Trilogy (novellas). Public domain. Gutenberg and all the usual suspects have it, in a bunch of formats. Sounds intriguing.

--Ken

Reaction score
Just finished Bullett by LKH. I seriously don't know why I bother anymore. Just plain boring, absolutely nothing happened.

And I am in the middle of a debut novel by Alden Bell, The Reapers Are The Angels. It is a zombie novel, but one more about the human condition than people being ripped apart by zombies.

It has a few things I am not fond of. Present tense, which I usually find hard to get into. And no quotes for dialogue. I find it pretentious and distracting, and have never finished a book with no quotation marks. But honestly, I am really enjoying,the book, and hardly notice either or these. Beautiful writing, interesting story, very believable if not entirely likeable main character.
I bought this last night, despite my "Oh my goodness; it's a bit The Road-esque," misgivings. No quote marks, for a start. Still, it couldn't be much worse than that book, and I've heard good things about it.

Mind, The Road won the Pulitzer and I still thought it sucked cheesy donkey dick, so one never knows...

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
SP, let me know what you think. I am more than halfway through and really like it. It is a quick read, and if I didn't have so much to do, I could have finished it in one day. I almost put it down because of the lack of quotes, but glad I didn't.

Can't compare it to The Road, I haven't read it.

Last edited:

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
"The Sun and the Rain", a short story by Thomas Wolfe.