Registered
Reaction score
My advice for queries.

Introduce as fast as you can
Introduce stakes
End with drama

That's how I wrote my query!

Wham. Bam. Thank you ma'am.

(specifically, Para and Sage, who helped with the query!)

THis definitely, Zoombie is so right :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
If you're querying before you revised your manuscript and query, let them sit for three months, revised them again, submitted them to multiple critiquers, revised them again, workshopped them and revised them again, you're probably querying too early.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
wow so apparently a girl who i used to go to grade school with goes to my college and we havent met there till today! Now were talking on facebook about old book series we used to read! hahahaha

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
yeah, mostly A Series of Unfortunate Events. We used to be obsessed with it.

And i was bullied in school too... really bad. That was grade school though, and highschool got better, but College is just PURE hell... i havent been this depressed since i was in grade school being bullied but this time its not by classmates but by teachers.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
If it's teachers, you should complain. Usually there can be more done if it's the teacher than if it's a student. Like.. you could get the teacher fired! *giggles evilly*

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Oh I've told the assistant Dean, the dean and my advisor (who happens to be my teachers best friend... lucky me) and no one can do anything. The grades he gives are final and how he treats me is just "hear say" and they need more complaints for anything to be done, and people are too afraid he'll mess with their grades more like he did with me to complain

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Book trailers can be pretty expensive compared to other forms of digital marketing, many of which are free. You can never really tell how much it helped or hurt you. Did anyone who watched the trailer buy the book? Would they have bought it anyway? Nobody knows. I'm touching on this in the dissertation I'm writing for my postgraduate publishing degree.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
ugh that's mean!

Ooooh i'm having a kitkat. Rarely get them. nom nom. Having a break. hehe.

On the subject of book trailers: i've only ever seen a couple for books i read. They're usually cool. Not sure if that's the kind of answer you're looking for though, Lilly... sorry.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I think that they look cool when done well.

Whether they're actually worth the money? Meh. Don't know.

The only book trailer I ever saw that made me want to buy the book...was for a book I had ALREADY BOUGHT

But it made me read it a second time, so there is that...

NOW!

I am going to work on something. It's SUPER SECRET.

(Spoilers: It involves giant spiders)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
yeah this one teacher ruined my whole damn life, and future. In the last year i had to give up all my future dreams and plans. Hell next year i'm not even going to be able to write!

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I think that they look cool when done well.

Whether they're actually worth the money? Meh. Don't know.

The only book trailer I ever saw that made me want to buy the book...was for a book I had ALREADY BOUGHT

But it made me read it a second time, so there is that...

NOW!

I am going to work on something. It's SUPER SECRET.

(Spoilers: It involves giant spiders)

Ewwww spiders. *starts to itch* Don't mention spiders!

Imbroglio

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
I have no interest in book trailers. I don't know, they just don't appeal to me. Even when they're well made, I still feel like I would rather just read a blurb or some sort of snippet.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Yes!

Though that's the name of the series. The first book is now called "Against the Dying"

The next is "And Sang the Sun"

And then "See with Blinding Sight"

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Do you ever re-read a draft of your book and realise a certain scene happens too early into the story? I'm having that trouble and i'm practically hitting my head, trying to figure out how to delay it. It doesn't look right after only 12 pages... yet my brain seems to have fizzled and can't come up with anything else before it. Grrr

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah i know, but i didnt know which book you were writing right now. Good luck!

Imbroglio

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
Do you ever re-read a draft of your book and realise a certain scene happens too early into the story? I'm having that trouble and i'm practically hitting my head, trying to figure out how to delay it. It doesn't look right after only 12 pages... yet my brain seems to have fizzled and can't come up with anything else before it. Grrr

No, typically I read my draft and realize that I have scenes that don't even need to be there at all.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
The scenes i'm looking at now, were written a couple years ago, and so my mind frame was clearly just like this: "Get to the point. Get to the point. oooh action." hahaha. Now i'm like ... "whoops. didn't write enough." Didn't bulk it out.

But even i know, if someone read it, they'd be all "but why is he doing this already? you've hardly shown enough of his character for his actions to be justified." i can practically hear the reader saying that!

Status
Not open for further replies.